Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #1576
disneypolybride2008
DIS Veteran
 
disneypolybride2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,039

i dont care much for the aesthetics of the placement for the bungalows. now when walking along the paths or the beach, your nice view of the lake and MK is blocked. How can they sell the current MK view rooms as MK view, it should say pay hundreds extra for a view of our new bungalows.
__________________


disneypolybride2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #1577
gorjus121
Mouseketeer
 
gorjus121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMomNJ View Post
Random question...I am considering the Poly for our birthdays/anniversary at the end of March/April 2015...I am new to this thread but anyone know if the construction would be done by then? I have heard the spring 2015 but no specifics. My husband and I are staying at WL in November and there are recent rumors about the pool being closed....I feel terrible for all of you with the extent of the refurb! Also, can anyone comment of the standard view rooms? In light of all the construction changes (I'm assuming the view won't change...), but post-construction, what are the chances of looking at the parking lot? I notice that view category includes a bunch of different views which seems odd. Thanks!
we stayed in the Tahiti bldg in May of 2013. Standard view. It faced the parking lot but with all the lush tropical foliage you could barely see it. It was very pretty in the evenings.
__________________


  • 2014 - Yacht Club/Marriott Harbour Lake
  • 2013 - Polynesian/Marriott Grande Vista
  • 2012 - Contemporary/Marriott Harbour Lake
gorjus121 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #1578
MaggiesMomNJ
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
I can't say it will always happen, but we have always stayed standard view (8 times) and have never been facing the parking lot. I always put in a request, and we don't always get the floor I requested, but we've always been in the building requested and have faced either the quiet pool or the volcano pool. We don't go in peak season though. I recommend researching and giving several options for your preferred buildings/views.
Wow 8 times is pretty consistent! It's only about $250 difference (with a BB) between our upgraded room at WL and the Poly...however I don't want to be there during the construction.

I actually stayed at the Poly but it was a looooong time ago - 1998? Lol. Thanks I will start looking into buildings...I just hope I can get more info on construction.
__________________
MaggiesMomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #1579
MaggiesMomNJ
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMomNJ View Post
Wow 8 times is pretty consistent! It's only about $250 difference (with a BB) between our upgraded room at WL and the Poly...however I don't want to be there during the construction.

I actually stayed at the Poly but it was a looooong time ago - 1998? Lol. Thanks I will start looking into buildings...I just hope I can get more info on construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorjus121 View Post
we stayed in the Tahiti bldg in May of 2013. Standard view. It faced the parking lot but with all the lush tropical foliage you could barely see it. It was very pretty in the evenings.
Wow that is good to know! I loved it there as a kid but it's been so many years I can't remember much
__________________
MaggiesMomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #1580
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMomNJ View Post
Wow 8 times is pretty consistent! It's only about $250 difference (with a BB) between our upgraded room at WL and the Poly...however I don't want to be there during the construction. I actually stayed at the Poly but it was a looooong time ago - 1998? Lol. Thanks I will start looking into buildings...I just hope I can get more info on construction.
I'm not sure what your priorities are, but when our kids were smaller, we requested Rarotonga 3rd floor facing the quiet pool. It was close to the GCH and we could see some of the fireworks from the MK over the building in front of us. Plus, 3rd floor has a real balcony. As they got older, we requested Samoa facing the volcano pool ground floor. We only got that once, but got ground floor facing the quiet pool. Either way, it was a nice view. Tikiman has great info on his website telling you which buildings to ask for depending on what you're looking for.

Like you said, everything is different during the construction. We bailed and went to BLT since the volcano pool is closed in September this year.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #1581
MaggiesMomNJ
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
I'm not sure what your priorities are, but when our kids were smaller, we requested Rarotonga 3rd floor facing the quiet pool. It was close to the GCH and we could see some of the fireworks from the MK over the building in front of us. Plus, 3rd floor has a real balcony. As they got older, we requested Samoa facing the volcano pool ground floor. We only got that once, but got ground floor facing the quiet pool. Either way, it was a nice view. Tikiman has great info on his website telling you which buildings to ask for depending on what you're looking for.

Like you said, everything is different during the construction. We bailed and went to BLT since the volcano pool is closed in September this year.
wow thanks for the suggestions...I just told my hubby about my idea of switching to Poly for the spring. He likes the idea but not with the construction.

Anyone know anything about the last week in March/April 2015. I will look for tikiman's site.

Thanks so much
__________________
MaggiesMomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #1582
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!
 
dzneelvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NW Illinois
Posts: 3,911

What does main lobby look like?

We'll be coming in via monorail to an evening Ohanas ADR and I'm wondering what we'll see as we walk through the main Lobby?
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #1583
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".
 
DznyCrzy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 894 miles from the magic!
Posts: 1,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzneelvr
We'll be coming in via monorail to an evening Ohanas ADR and I'm wondering what we'll see as we walk through the main Lobby?
Are you on Facebook? If so, check out Tikiman's Facebook page. He has been posting picture updates. The last picture I saw of the GCH the entire middle section where the waterfall was is all blocked off.
__________________
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #1584
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzneelvr View Post
We'll be coming in via monorail to an evening Ohanas ADR and I'm wondering what we'll see as we walk through the main Lobby?
Lots of construction walls, upstairs and downstairs
__________________

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #1585
Daytona88
Earning My Ears
 
Daytona88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15

I booked 2 weeks at the Poly 18 months ago. I have been watching the construction updates on this thread for about 12 months hoping things would get better for my October 2014 trip. Sadly it is not to be and I have just changed my resort to AKL for my up and coming trip. I just could not justify paying all that money to stop in a building site for 2weeks.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #1586
Mommymarie
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 190

Spirit of Aloha?

Just wondering if the construction has affected Spirit of Aloha in any way?? We are coming over for the show and wanted to walk around the grounds while there..... Thanks!
Mommymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #1587
Mama Steph
DIS Veteran
 
Mama Steph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 691

We will be staying at the Poly on July 4th for the sole reason of watching fireworks from the beach. We booked a standard room so I know watching from the room is not an option. Is the view from the beach still as good as it was in the past or has that area been affected by the rehab as well?
I'm sure this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find it yet (haven't read all 100 pages yet).
__________________
Our Disney Family






Mama Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #1588
Mama Steph
DIS Veteran
 
Mama Steph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 691

And can I still get Tonga Toast at the new Capt. Cooks's? We have a ressie at Kona but just want to keep our options open.
__________________
Our Disney Family






Mama Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #1589
wdwrich
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Steph View Post
And can I still get Tonga Toast at the new Capt. Cooks's? We have a ressie at Kona but just want to keep our options open.
From what I've seen/read, Tonga Toast is stall available at Capt. Cook's. Dole Whips are not.
__________________
Rich

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #1590
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona88 View Post
I booked 2 weeks at the Poly 18 months ago. I have been watching the construction updates on this thread for about 12 months hoping things would get better for my October 2014 trip. Sadly it is not to be and I have just changed my resort to AKL for my up and coming trip. I just could not justify paying all that money to stop in a building site for 2weeks.
We're the same. We usually take our family holiday at the Poly and had booked a BB for Oct. As it became apparent how bad the construction was going to be by the fall be changed to the GF. For virtually the same money (we downgraded from CL) we will be staying at a resort with newly refurbed rooms instead of a construction site (we hope to return to the Poly for our next WDW after this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommymarie View Post
Just wondering if the construction has affected Spirit of Aloha in any way?? We are coming over for the show and wanted to walk around the grounds while there..... Thanks!
AS far as I've heard the show itself hasn't been affected, however the grounds are. Your walk around the resort may not be so enjoyable. Some of the pathways are closed and there are construction fences up in several locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Steph View Post
We will be staying at the Poly on July 4th for the sole reason of watching fireworks from the beach. We booked a standard room so I know watching from the room is not an option. Is the view from the beach still as good as it was in the past or has that area been affected by the rehab as well?
I'm sure this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find it yet (haven't read all 100 pages yet).
While part of the beach is closed for the DVC construction, the part directly in front of the pool is currently still open. You should be ok for the 4th, but there is some question about how much of the beach will still be open once the volcano pool closes.
__________________

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: