Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #31
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Also, to the PPs arguing about Fact v Opinion:

The fact is it took one poster X amount of time to go from point A to B (as proved by timing). The fact is it can vary from person to person. The opinion is if point A to B is far/close.

The only way to settle your disagreement is to measure distance as that cannot be changed by confounding variables such as length of gait/impenged joints/alligators blocking paths. Google provides such options and will hopefully eliminate any back and forths that cause time to be turned on its head.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #32
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at most of the Values and Moderates, and find POR (Riverside) the nicest. We like:

- Lush landscaping
- Pool and hot tub
- Boat to DTD
- Yehaw Bob
- Nice restaurant and shop
- No convention center! The last thing I want to experience on vacation is Corporate people playing office politics.
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #33
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
It's also a well known fact that the Royal rooms at POR are in the least desirable location at POR. Thats why they made those rooms the Royal rooms. Just like the Pirate rooms at CBR are in the worst location. Not looking to argue, I just want people to have truthful information to make a decision best for them.
I was actually surprised at how close our RR was to the bridge leading to the lobby. It was about a two - three minute walk to the lobby from our room.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #34
Gottahavemorecowbell
Earning My Ears

We love Riverside. The boat access to DTD is really a nice option. It's also a very pretty resort. I don't understand the negativity I often read about directed at the busing and the occasional crowded food court. Our busing situation has been fine and the food court experience has been decent. The pool is nice too. AB is our favorite section to stay in. Overall, it's a toss-up for us between Riverside and CBR for our favorite resort.
Gottahavemorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #35
shaneray
Earning My Ears

We stayed at POR in May for the 1st time. We chose from the moderates only. CBR I like the theming but the beds were a killer. CSR, I didnt really care for the theming and the fact that its a convention hotel ruled it out for us. FQ I really didnt care for the closeness that typically attracts most people and the theming just isnt us. Ended up at POR, and after studying the map decided to pay extra for the RRRV room to guarantee that we would in the mansions and close to the river thus closer to the main building. We loved it so much I just cant bring myself to try something new for our next trip. As far as the busses are concerned, the outgoing busses weren't a huge issue, the busses coming back however could have a long wait in which case we could just choose to get in the always uncrowded FQ line and make the rather peaceful walk to our room from there and being in the RR's it was closer to that resort as well so to us they are by far the best rooms on POR property.
shaneray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #36
Lillabelle0
Mouseketeer

We had our first stay here two weeks ago. I loved it. We stayed in the AB section. It was woodsy and felt like home. I am from south Louisiana too. The kids never got homesick. We walked around Pofq too and it was the exact opposite. Neat, proper, small and quiet...but not woodsy. I would try it but I am afraid of the one bus stop. We did eat the beignets but they didn't hold a candle to the real thing! I had to see what the fuss was all about too! I'm glad I did!!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:06 AM   #37
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Yep, I feel the same about CSR. Both DH and my families live in AZ, so I don't feel the need to stay in a southwest themed resort.

I live in Las Vegas and have the same feeling towards CSR. I think the central lake and landscaping are beautiful but the buildings just don't feel unique to me, with so many options at WDW why settle for what you're used to.

I loved POFQ, it was small and convenient but mostly I loved wandering around the resort looking at all the gardens, the river, the wrought iron and the other details. It was completely different from what I'm used to living in the southwest and it made me feel like I was on vacation.

If I lived in New Orleans I'd probably choose to skip the PO resorts for the same reason.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #38
Disney Nan
Earning My Ears

Being from England

I absolutely love POFQ, purely as everything is so close together, I see some resorts are a bit of a hike to restaurants, pools or buses.

But, saying that next year I have treated myself as a solo traveller and booked Beach Club
Disney Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #39
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

POR & POFQ have great food courts, clean pools, beautiful grounds with the river view for long walks, wonderful employees who are always kind, other guests who are usually as polite as you are, ample parking for drivers, good bus service, well-decorated rooms with everything working, campfires, movies, etc etc etc.

They also have Zach at POR - he'll help you through any difficulties you might run into.

They aim to please at POR & POFQ. That's why we stay there!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #40
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

My first ever wdw stay was at Dixie Landings back in '99. We loved it. So, we returned in '01...by that time it had become POR! Still loved it. I've stayed there a bunch of times now, just returned from my latest stay Tuesday afternoon. I have stayed in bldgs 14, 34, 80, and 85. 14 was an incredible location...next to the food court, 30 seconds to the bus stop, a minute to the main pool. 34 was an 8 min walk to the food court! But it was peaceful in the early morning!! We used the West Depot and seldom had issues there. For bldg 80 (just there), we were on the back side of the bldg, close to the parking lot. We could have used the North Depot but chose to use the main depot....silly choice since we tended to have to stand when using the main depot!! For bldg 85, we always used the main depot....we usually grabbed something to eat and then got the bus.
For my stay in bldg 80, if I used the walkway, and didn't cross over the river (by Ole Man Island), it took me close to 10 mins to get to the food court. If I walked down the sidewalk, to the right, and took that bridge, it took me 8 mins. If I turned left, out of the resort onto the sidewalk, and took a right at that bridge and then walked to the left of the pool, it took me just under 5 mins to get there. So.....times can depend on what route you take.
Not to mention...my 20 y/o dd is a healthy, normal young adult. But, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it would take her longer to make the exact same walk as me...she thinks she has a normal walking pace but she tends to amble!!!

Is POR perfect? Nope. But it's a very nice resort. The theming is nice...I tend to favor the AB section. I use the quiet pools more than the main pool only because I like a less noisy pool. The food court seems to be a bit small for the really busy times of day...but everything we got there was really good. Yes, you might have to stand up on a bus....but, seriously? I've had to stand on a bus at every single resort I've stayed at. Just not a big deal. I actually had pretty good bus experiences this time around.

Every resort is going to have it's fans as well as it's critics! That's just the way it is. Doesn't make me a liar for saying something about one resort that someone else doesn't agree with. CSR is the one resort I have little to no interest in staying at. Same goes for GF. Doesn't make them bad resorts...just not my taste.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #41
blackmamba10000
Mouseketeer

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInMN View Post
We have stayed at most of the Values and Moderates, and find POR (Riverside) the nicest. We like:

- Lush landscaping
- Pool and hot tub
- Boat to DTD
- Yehaw Bob
- Nice restaurant and shop
- No convention center! The last thing I want to experience on vacation is Corporate people playing office politics.
I've stayed at CSR twice now...have never been bothered by conventioners. We personally loved CSR. We were in building 4 first floor Casitas. I have nothing but good things to say about this resort. With that being said, this is a thread about Port Orleans. I've stayed here once. It wasnt for me, but I can see the appeal. It is quiet and there are horse drawn carriage rides! And the food court options are amazing! I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Disney resorts!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: