DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #31
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Because buying will tie up a lot of cash, and if they determine DVC isn't for them, they will be out the $1000 in dues, plus the $1000 in commission, plus closing costs, functionally making the rental a better deal. And that's assuming that nothing horrible like a recession happens that drives the cost of DVC down and they can get close to the same price they buy for this year. Nor does it account for tying up $10,000 for a year, nor their time in buying.

I've said this before, but we saw a lot of people loose their shirts in 2009 and 2010, my own advice was conservative before, and has gotten much more conservative as a result.
Lets agree to disagree.

I don't see them being out anything because they will be able to use their points for their vacation instead of renting someone else's points. If they don't have the cash, how are they thinking about buying?

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #32
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

It takes us 20 minutes to get to MK from AKV. We always plan 90 minutes if we are transferring resort to resort. In Nov it took me almost 90 minutes to get to GFV from AKV. DVC does not save or take more time than any other resort. But we love and are happy with Disney transportation 95% of the time.

It is so good that you are taking the time to read and learn here. Do it for another 6 months at least, rent your points for 2015 and then pick the resort you love. No DVC cost up front, you get the DVC experience and you get to look around to see if you like the vibe of the resort you choose. Every one can pitch ( the families involved) $5 you get the $15 you need to rent from David's ( sponsor of the board)...badda bing you are still the Disney guru/hero.

We stayed one night at BLT 10/31/13 and will never stay there again. Location was great, room was clean, had great view of lake and MK. But when we pulled up to check in, there was no life or vegetation or personality. I would have felt horrible to have spent all that money --kinda sight unseen and then on some level been disappointed. We we checked in to AKV the following day it was wonderful and like home. Believe me the resort CAN make a difference.

My best advice is to stay on here and read, read, read, read...ask a few questions and read some more. You will enjoy your ownership more.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #33
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Why rent when they can buy and sell SSR for almost the cost of a rental?

Owning SSR will give them the opportunity to experience DVC as a true owner. If things don't work out they can sell. If DVC works for them they can buy additional points at their favorite resort(s) or sell SSR and buy their favorite.

Bill
A bad idea IMO for someone just getting their feet wet. Too much risk and likely to be more costly than a given rental. Now if someone has done all they can do and pretty much made up their mind with real information, this approach is not nearly as bad. For someone to just jump in and buy as a way of seeing if DVC is for them, bad, bad idea. On top of that, as you've seen me say before, I feel DVC is still at a temporary high and is overpriced on resales as well as retail. Obviously personal situation has a lot to do with how bad this approach is. For someone who can spend the money in cash and not miss it, it's still bad but not nearly as risky. One has to approach this type of purchase from the standpoint that if it's worth zero tomorrow, I'll still be OK. That also means no financing and no consumer debt.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #34
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
A bad idea IMO for someone just getting their feet wet. Too much risk and likely to be more costly than a given rental. Now if someone has done all they can do and pretty much made up their mind with real information, this approach is not nearly as bad. For someone to just jump in and buy as a way of seeing if DVC is for them, bad, bad idea. On top of that, as you've seen me say before, I feel DVC is still at a temporary high and is overpriced on resales as well as retail. Obviously personal situation has a lot to do with how bad this approach is. For someone who can spend the money in cash and not miss it, it's still bad but not nearly as risky. One has to approach this type of purchase from the standpoint that if it's worth zero tomorrow, I'll still be OK. That also means no financing and no consumer debt.
I agree to a point but I hate to see someone spend $2000 to $3000 on a rental when that money could go towards their purchase, especially if they will be renting more than once.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #35
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
I agree to a point but I hate to see someone spend $2000 to $3000 on a rental when that money could go towards their purchase, especially if they will be renting more than once.

Bill
The difference isn't the full $2-3K. Assuming they waited a year and rented once, it be the rental price adjusted for a year of dues as well as adjusted downward for the year closer to the RTU. Even if they rented and bought the same day, the rental price isn't a sunk cost because either they'd have extra points or they could buy a slightly smaller contract. And waiting, being educated, taking more time on the contract; they'll likely get a better valued contract which can be a full years worth of value by itself. Ultimately the only "savings" by buying up front rather than renting is the difference between the rental price and the true cost of buy in for that # of points (due plus buy in including the TMV). Plus one is likely to spend more than that different rushing to buy in to take a trip. To relate this to a similar discussion on the boards lately, for one who wants to stay at VGF every 4 to 5 years, buying something cheaper like SSR with enough points to cover non VGF stays and renting for VGF is cheaper than buying everything there and using those points for other options.

When you consider the variables, psychology and the math, I think ultimately waiting both ensures better decisions AND saves money in the long term and possibly in the short term as well. Obviously there are variables that one can't necessarily anticipate such as a major price change up or down. While I know there are those that post they should have bought sooner than later, making a bad purchase is a LOT worse than having not bought when DVC was the perfect choice.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #36
diznyfan4life
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
I am not asking too many direct questions. Just laying out my situation to see if anyone can offer some advice. I love the forum, and its been very helpful for me. My wife and I have a 2 year old, and a 2 month old. And we decided that we were interested in getting a DVC membership. Neither of us have visited Disney much in our lives, so our knowledge is limited. My family always went to Disney the first 2 weeks of December due to the Christmas Decorations and small crowds. Saratoga Springs appeared to be the best "bang for your buck" membership. We were thinking about getting a 200-250 point membership and travel to disney every other year and take some friends/family with us. I figured that the "home resort" was irrelevant due to us going on what I thought was considered a down time of the year. But due to "drusba" post from another thread, I learned its actually the highest demand week there is... At the same time my entire family of 13 planned(not booked) out a disney trip in 2015. Where we would spend 5 nights from December 4th-9th, using the DVC membership we get at a WDW resort. Then take a 4 day disney cruise out of Miami. We were hoping to use our SSR points and stay somewhere near the Magic Kingdom like Baylike or Wilderness Lodge. This now seems impossible for this trip. Assuming my family is absolutely going to Disney during the first 2 weeks of December for years to come, I have a couple options. 1.) Home Resort becomes much more important. And I now have to try and figure out which one I like best without actually getting to see them. Which seems scary to me for a 15k+ purchase. 2.) Accept the fact that unless I get lucky, I will be staying at Saratoga more often than not. 3.) Change the dates that we like to travel to late January/Early Feb. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for my situation, I would appreciate it. For the family trip of 2015 to even be economically possible, it requires my wife and I to purchase a DVC membership and charge $5 a point to my other family members for their rooms. So there is quite a bit of pressure on me at the moment.
I would suggest looking for deals on hotels or even doing a vacation package. I think it's great to consider doing a large family vacation, but if your thoughts are to buy DVC based on providing lodging for your family, DVC is not the way to go. Like other people have posted, DVC is a 49 year commitment. Even if you pay your contract off up front, you still will have the annual dues every year or you have the choice to pay them monthly. Either way they don't go away and they do go up every year. Also, you will have to keep track of your points and bank them within the required time frame if you don't use them every year. Also, if you don't buy into the specific resort you want, you don't have a great chance of getting the time frame your looking to take your vacation. The popular resorts book up very quickly and normally the members book their home resorts within that 11 month window. So if you buy into SSR and want to stay at BLT or WL, it's very hard to get consecutive days unless you can be extremely flexible with your travel dates. I'm not saying it's impossible but it very difficult. There is just a lot to consider when it comes to buying DVC or any timeshare. I personally would spent more time deciding if you will go every year or every other year and what you would be using your points for. As well as the investment. Good luck in your decision making!
diznyfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #37
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The difference isn't the full $2-3K. Assuming they waited a year and rented once, it be the rental price adjusted for a year of dues as well as adjusted downward for the year closer to the RTU. Even if they rented and bought the same day, the rental price isn't a sunk cost because either they'd have extra points or they could buy a slightly smaller contract. And waiting, being educated, taking more time on the contract; they'll likely get a better valued contract which can be a full years worth of value by itself. Ultimately the only "savings" by buying up front rather than renting is the difference between the rental price and the true cost of buy in for that # of points (due plus buy in including the TMV). Plus one is likely to spend more than that different rushing to buy in to take a trip. To relate this to a similar discussion on the boards lately, for one who wants to stay at VGF every 4 to 5 years, buying something cheaper like SSR with enough points to cover non VGF stays and renting for VGF is cheaper than buying everything there and using those points for other options.

When you consider the variables, psychology and the math, I think ultimately waiting both ensures better decisions AND saves money in the long term and possibly in the short term as well. Obviously there are variables that one can't necessarily anticipate such as a major price change up or down. While I know there are those that post they should have bought sooner than later, making a bad purchase is a LOT worse than having not bought when DVC was the perfect choice.
I wrote this as a comparison of buy now vs rent, get better educated and possibly buy later. I would like to add that IF it helps one make a better choice, the savings can be tremendous, maybe tens of thousands of dollars in some cases. Maybe one ends up buying SSR at $60 pp rather than VGF at $165 or maybe they figure out they hate SSR and never want stay there, etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: