Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984

Everyone has given you excellent advice. I don't have anything to add, as my husband is 59 and has little in common with an active young man such as yours! He has had Type I since he was 4, though, and back when he was the age of some of the kids mentioned in these posts, there was no good way to test blood sugars in a doctor's office, and certainly not at home! Then we had the advent of sticks to use with urine, then finally blood, and eventually came the meter on which everyone now depends.

I wander down memory lane here to point out that even with the horrible control that my husband must have had back when there was no way to measure, my husband is now going on 60 and has few DM issues other than having required some laser surgery for vision issues years ago (he's fine now), and he had a stroke (don't panic) about 5 years ago due to what appears to have been an aneurysm. There is a *slightly* higher risk of this type of stroke in diabetic patients, but it may also have been due to a congential issue. He had NO sequelae. Um, rephrase (I'm an RN and I work in research)...He didn't have any long term effects from the stroke. He is MUCH healthier than his wife.

I hope for all of your kids that they have great, long lives thanks to the many medical advances that have been made. And I'll keep on working in research - not all related to DM, but I do work in ophthalmology, so ya' never know.
JenniBugInPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #17
JeJecm
Mouseketeer

DAC type 1 diabebes

Can I get a DAC IF I HAVE TYPE 1 diabetes? There are big problems with my blood sugar dropping if I get hot, tired, standing in lines. I don't want to abuse the system but I don't want to spoil our family's fun if I'm having blood sugar issues.
JeJecm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #18
2tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

I've never used the GAC or now the DAS for my Type 1 Diabetes. I just make sure that I manage my diabetes like I do every day. I have been known to check my blood sugar levels in line (no one even knew what I was doing) and make adjustments as necessary. That is my experience.
2tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #19
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

You may certainly discuss your needs with Guest Relations and request a DAS. Only they can determine if you will qualify.

Some things to think about:
You will get hot and tired anywhere, not just in lines. The DAS doesn't let you skip lines, just allows you to wait elsewhere. Most attraction queues are either covered or indoors. Choosing a cooler time of year to visit may be beneficial if the heat and humidity are particularly bothersome for you.

Recognize that you likely will be affected in ways that you don't typically deal with. Plan to test more frequently than usual. Stay hydrated - free ice water is available on request at any CS location. Bring snacks with you.

As PP mentioned, people can and do test (and treat) blood sugar in lines. Most guests are busy chatting with their own party and won't even be aware of what you are doing. There are Sharps containers in all (or nearly all) restrooms throughout WDW.

I'd suggest doing some planning so you know what to expect. Take extra supplies. Carry your emergency glucose tabs with you (or whatever you use). Make sure your family is aware of the symptoms of a low. Speak with Guest Relations if you think that might help.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to refer you to the discussion about diabetes on this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3263107

DAS (Disability Access Service) Cards are used for disabilities and the condition that causes the disability is not pertinent. Diabetes is not a disability; it is a condition that can cause disability.
The majority of people with diabetes posting on this board quickly test and treat if needed in lines and there are CMs with type 1 diabetes working in the heat.
Others do have more issues, so just asking for a DAS because you have diabetes doesn't tell the CMs what level of disability you have. Your task is to explain your needs related to your disability.

I'm actually going to combine this thread with the other thread.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Bumping

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #22
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Most attraction queues are either covered or indoors. Choosing a cooler time of year to visit may be beneficial if the heat and humidity are particularly bothersome for you.
Is there a list of attraction queues that are not indoors or covered? I have not yet tested my BG's tolerance to heat (I was diagnosed in winter), but I might need to adjust my touring schedule so that I am avoiding the rides with outdoor queues during the hottest part of the day.
acebatonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

My second child with Type 1 was DX while on Vacation at Disney in 2004; at the age 7. She has had more then 10 trips while T1D at Disney. The summer heat has caused the most problems. Both my kids are on pumps and we typically lower their basals while at Disney because the walking and heat make BS drop drastically at times. Extra carbs on hand usually prevents this. We have fought for many many years to get get carb counts but Disney lawyers put up the wall against these being provided. So, us T1D's need to wing it.......Good Luck.

We attend FFL (Friends For Life) a Type 1 convention every summer that is based in Orlando. It alternates convention sites at the Marriott World Center and Coronado Springs Resort. It is the most amazing event for T1D kids and adults that one will ever experience.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/...s/Orlando2014/

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #24
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

I was at the Taking Care of Your Diabetes Conference in DC this past weekend. This organization has events throughout the country over the course of the year. (I have yet to make it to an ADA Expo because those have always been just too far away or not conveniently scheduled.) It's great to get together with a lot of others with similar problems and talk about how we handle various things. There was a Type 1 track and a Type 2 track.

I attended a Type 1 track session about apps and software used to track carbs, exercise, blood glucose readings, and meds. An explanation was given for the reason why there is no one perfect smartphone app, that any apps that might be used to determine insulin dosages would have to be approved by the FDA. Most fitness and food database apps are advertised as fitness tools, not tools for diabetics.

I suppose Disney won't give carb counts because they can't guarantee they're accurate and they'd be liable if someone relied on the counts for setting their insulin dosage and was thereby injured. It sure is inconvenient, though.
Sadie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post

I suppose Disney won't give carb counts because they can't guarantee they're accurate and they'd be liable if someone relied on the counts for setting their insulin dosage and was thereby injured. It sure is inconvenient, though.

We have done 2 WDW and a cruise since dx last year and the no carb counts doesn't really phase me. We go many places in life with no information and we weight, look things up etc. and then adjust later. Need a little more insulin, no problem. A place like Disney we err on the side of conservative and I would rather he be a bit high then lows. But that is our comfort level and we are fine with that. Others may want stricter control at all times.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 8) (DS 3)
dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneygirl View Post
We have done 2 WDW and a cruise since dx last year and the no carb counts doesn't really phase me. We go many places in life with no information and we weight, look things up etc. and then adjust later. Need a little more insulin, no problem. A place like Disney we err on the side of conservative and I would rather he be a bit high then lows. But that is our comfort level and we are fine with that. Others may want stricter control at all times.
I have type 2. It doesn't bother me much that information is not provided, but I have learned to be suspicious of anything I didn't prepare myself. I know how to estimate and what works for me, AND I don't take insulin.

I can only imagine what it's like to be a parent of a child with recently-diagnosed type 1. I'm glad there are many tools available now to help.
Sadie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #27
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post
I have type 2. It doesn't bother me much that information is not provided, but I have learned to be suspicious of anything I didn't prepare myself. I know how to estimate and what works for me, AND I don't take insulin.

I can only imagine what it's like to be a parent of a child with recently-diagnosed type 1. I'm glad there are many tools available now to help.

We have had come crazy numbers (my T1 is only 2) but on our cruise last year I told DH "I would rather be dealing with this in the Bahamas then at home " We're used to crazy. When things are too "perfect" I suspect something is wrong.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 8) (DS 3)
dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #28
Mich Mouse
Poly Loving Disney Bride

Location: Where you take only pictures, leave only footprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I'm going to refer you to the discussion about diabetes on this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3263107

DAS (Disability Access Service) Cards are used for disabilities and the condition that causes the disability is not pertinent. Diabetes is not a disability; it is a condition that can cause disability.
The majority of people with diabetes posting on this board quickly test and treat if needed in lines and there are CMs with type 1 diabetes working in the heat.
Others do have more issues, so just asking for a DAS because you have diabetes doesn't tell the CMs what level of disability you have. Your task is to explain your needs related to your disability.

I'm actually going to combine this thread with the other thread.
This link is taking me back to this same thread?

Mich Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #29
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Mouse View Post
This link is taking me back to this same thread?
I think sue combined the two threads into this one
Gracie09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #30
Twinsmomma
Mouseketeer

My son (12 yo) just got diagnosed with T1D a week and a half ago. We didn't pick up on the symptoms because he has also gone through a huge growth spurt and it's summer. So, all of his symptoms- the weight loss, thirst, fatigue- could be explained by those two things. It wasn't until he came home from spending 3 days at a friends out of town that we realized something really wasn't right. But even then, we thought it was something like mono or strep because his throat was so raw. We ended up in ICU with extreme dehydration, numbers up to 900, DKA, and an A1c of 13.7.

We are avid Disney vacationers and our next trip is in October. This forum has been very encouraging and also very helpful. It's great to see how others have gone about their family vacation and the little adjustments to make to ensure a great vacation!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: