Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Alternative waiting locations?

We are going to Disney next month and I'm a bit concerned about the new DAS. My 6 yo DD has Down syndrome, very low muscle tone, and sensory issues. The old pass allowed us alternative waiting places for certain attractions so that she wasn't squeezed into a tight, crowded room while waiting (ex, Turtle Talk with Crush, Enchanted Tales with Belle, etc.). So we waited just as long as everyone else but it was usually in a quieter location and then they would allow us access usually through a back or side door. Does anyone know if the new pass allows any accommodations for this? Also, the old pass allowed us to use the stroller as a wheelchair so that she could stay in the stroller while we were in line. That's helps since she can't walk for very long and also helps to cut down on sensory input a bit.

Any experience with either of these situations?
3littlecuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

You can use stroller as a wheelchair. GS will have a red sticker for the stroller. As far as I know, there are no alternate entrances or waiting areas anymore.

The FP+ line is the return line with a DAS.

Last edited by lovethattink; 06-10-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: eta fp line
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

The DAS allows you to get a return time and come back, so you could wait with your daughter in a quiet area until it's time to ride.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

SaW is separate from DAS and is easily obtainable in almost all situations.

the 'alternative place to wait' is wherever you want it to be under the new DAS.. you simply get a return time then go do your own thing until the window opens when you are directed down the FP line.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

I understand that you wait wherever you want with the DAS on attractions that are more ride like. I'm referring more to things like Mickey's Philharmagic, turtle talk with crush, etc where they load everyone into one large waiting space while they are waiting for the previous show to finish. Those waiting spaces tend to be tightly packed with people and loud. This can be overwhelming for my DD and previously they allowed us to wait somewhere quiet. With the DAS as stated, we would just return at the assigned time but would still have to wait in that "pre-load" area. Are there no longer accommodations for sensory issues?
3littlecuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlecuties View Post
We are going to Disney next month and I'm a bit concerned about the new DAS. My 6 yo DD has Down syndrome, very low muscle tone, and sensory issues. The old pass allowed us alternative waiting places for certain attractions so that she wasn't squeezed into a tight, crowded room while waiting (ex, Turtle Talk with Crush, Enchanted Tales with Belle, etc.). So we waited just as long as everyone else but it was usually in a quieter location and then they would allow us access usually through a back or side door. Does anyone know if the new pass allows any accommodations for this? Also, the old pass allowed us to use the stroller as a wheelchair so that she could stay in the stroller while we were in line. That's helps since she can't walk for very long and also helps to cut down on sensory input a bit.

Any experience with either of these situations?
Turtle Talk with Crush still takes me around to the exit. Explain your needs to Guest Services and you should get a DAS. Explain that just a stroller as wheelchair will not accommodate all her needs

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

As the other posters mentioned, using a stroller as a wheelchair as separate then the DAS. Some gas will just get the stroller as wheelchair sticker and guess who have a additional needs will also get a DAS.

If you are using either Fastpass Plus or a DAS a Return Time, you will generally enter thru the Fastpass entrance.
That will be less crowded than the regular line. Certain attractions, such as Turtle Talk, already had a waiting spot that continues to be used. In most cases, that is because the show area/theater is small and they need to get a count of guests traveling with wheelchairs or other mobility devices so they don't have more in line than will fit in the next show.
There were situation in the past where some guests with GACs entered thru a different door. Many of those were because the attraction did not have Fastpass/Fastpass Plus. Most attractions at WDW now have Fastpass Plus. So, except for the situations like I mentioned for Turtle Talk, expect to use the Fastpass Entrance.

If you haven't already looked, there is a WDW DAS thread near the top of this board (there is also a separate DL DAS thread). The first post in each thread is DAS FAQs.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Aristomommy
We were in the “wild animals” cage, which was very fitting for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlecuties View Post
I understand that you wait wherever you want with the DAS on attractions that are more ride like. I'm referring more to things like Mickey's Philharmagic, turtle talk with crush, etc where they load everyone into one large waiting space while they are waiting for the previous show to finish. Those waiting spaces tend to be tightly packed with people and loud. This can be overwhelming for my DD and previously they allowed us to wait somewhere quiet. With the DAS as stated, we would just return at the assigned time but would still have to wait in that "pre-load" area. Are there no longer accommodations for sensory issues?
What I have found is that using stroller as wheelchair puts you in a smaller queue many times and it is not with all other people. The DAS return time will place you in FP+ line which is shorter too. It makes the wait more manageable for our family with member having "crowd issues". In Philharmagic, we were off to the side which was quieter and away from others.

Always Planning My Next Disney Trip

Aristomommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: