Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #1636
kbmartin
Mouseketeer

Arriving at Night

My husband and I are taking a very late flight to Orlando, and we'll probably arrive at POR around 12:30-1 am. Has anyone come in this late? How does the Magical Express work at night? Is the POR front desk a lot less busy at that time? I would imagine it would be... I'm just wondering how smoothly things will go. Are requests for rooms more difficult to get at night since most people are already settled in rooms by then? That's my major concern. I don't want to get stuck in the far corner of AB, far away from buses, marina, food court, etc. just because that's the only thing open at that point. We do plan to go through all the steps of faxing a request and online check-in, and I've already requested Magnolia Terrace over the phone.

1992 - CBR - I was six years old and was so in love with the World! | 1994 - Offsite for Christmas : | 1996 - Offsite | 1999 - Offsite for Thanksgiving with Cousins | 2004 - Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Girls Trip | 2006 - POR Mom/Daughter Trip | 2007 - Offsite Spring Break Universal/Sea World Trip with Friends | 2014 - POR Delayed Honeymoon/First Anniversary Trip!!!
kbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #1637
DisneyCDE
Mouseketeer

As for Magical Express for arrivals after 10pm, you pick up your own baggage from baggage claim and bring it with you to the buses. It may take awhile to get to your resort as there are less buses running at that time of night, and when we did it recently they wait for a bus to fill. Seamless process, but takes longer than daytime. Check in will be relatively quick as not many people in lobby
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #1638
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

They wont wait all night or anything for the bus to fill up. They have a max wait time. I think the one time when we lived in VA and we went late, they waited 30 minutes max before they went ahead to the resorts filled up or not.
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #1639
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure what happened but I responded right after your post about the trial run they are doing with check in and it's didn't post. ??? I also had a question about buses.....guess I'll ask it again.

Can anyone give me an idea of how the buses run at POR? I love the way the buses run at Coronado Springs Resort and wondered if they work in a similar fashion.

The way CSR buses work....the bus hits the second bus stop first, then third and then fourth being the last before heading to the front of the resort to the main building which is obviously the first bus stop, but it's last on the route, if that makes a darn lick of sense.
I like staying in one of the rooms closest to the fourth bust stop because this way I'm closest to the main pool and the last stop before reaching the front. I don't know why this works for me, but it does.

Is there a routine bus route at POR? Do they stop at POR first or POFQ? Do they go to a certain number bus stop first and or is it always the main building first and then so on, or is it totally random? I've read through a lot of the thread and can't seem to find anything on this, there is information about how unreliable the buses are when being picked up, but beyond that I haven't found anything. If this is predictable information it would be so helpful to us readers to have it on the main first page. Great job on the amount of information that there is by the way. The page is beautiful.

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #1640
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmartin View Post
My husband and I are taking a very late flight to Orlando, and we'll probably arrive at POR around 12:30-1 am. Has anyone come in this late?
How does the Magical Express work at night? Is the POR front desk a lot less busy at that time? I would imagine it would be... I'm just wondering how smoothly things will go. Are requests for rooms more difficult to get at night since most people are already settled in rooms by then? That's my major concern. I don't want to get stuck in the far corner of AB, far away from buses, marina, food court, etc. just because that's the only thing open at that point. We do plan to go through all the steps of faxing a request and online check-in, and I've already requested Magnolia Terrace over the phone.
What I share is only from our experience. We came in pretty late one time and we just made sure not to put our yellow tags on our luggage and picked it up ourselves and then brought it to the ME desk with us, we took it out with us to put on the bus before we boarded, it's pretty easy.
Coming in late stinks since there is no where to eat that late (be sure to eat dinner at your last stop or bring it with you on the plane), but the desk will be virtually empty other than the CM's that are working.
And because of this, things will go very smoothly.
I will say that one way to ensure your room location and possible requests is to do early check in, I think this is a more sure way to get a room request than anything else we've tried in the past. I'm not saying it will guarantee your location but since they usually assign these rooms first you will have your room ready from almost first thing that morning. Every time I've checked in with early check in, our room was ready first thing in the morning when we got there (probably doesn't happen all the time-but it did for all four resorts we stayed at on our last trip in May of 2013). Now, that doesn't mean they may not switch it around with other people's request through out the day since you're coming in later, but at least you'll have a better chance than if you wait for when you get there. Good luck!

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #1641
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfrapplol View Post
Hello! We're staying at POR in late June and are planning to eat at Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney. How frequent is the boat service from POR to Downtown Disney? What would be the best route from Downtown Disney to the Magic Kingdom using only Disney transportation?
Boats run every 20 minutes, switching to 10 minutes after 4pm. At busy times expect to probably not get on the first boat that comes along.

Getting to the parks from DTD is not very easy as there are no direct buses. I assume this was done to prevent people using DTD as an easier parking option for visits to the parks - although with the current construction at DTD I suspect it would more likely happen the other way around now!

You would need to go to a resort and then change to get to the park. For MK, get a bus to the Contemporary and walk from there direct to the park. Similarly for Epcot, get a bus to the Beach Club and walk via the International Gateway. Studios is a longer walk, but you could still go to the Swan/Dolphin and walk, but it might be quicker to just take a second bus. For AK I'd have thought changing at AK Lodge makes the most sense, but if another bus arrives sooner for somewhere along the general route (e.g. Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs, or one of the Values) then you might want to jump on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Can anyone give me an idea of how the buses run at POR? I love the way the buses run at Coronado Springs Resort and wondered if they work in a similar fashion.
Is there a routine bus route at POR? Do they stop at POR first or POFQ? Do they go to a certain number bus stop first and or is it always the main building first and then so on, or is it totally random?
It's not totally random, but it's not exactly predictable either, and it varies somewhat by park destination. Rather than repeating myself again, most of my understanding of the system (for what that's worth) can be found at www.portorleans.org/buses.php.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #1642
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Here now....in Acadian House, in the way back by the parking lot. The resort is as lovely as always. I was disappointed that I wasn't notified when my room was ready tho. But, that's happened at other resorts as well. Checked in at 8:15, dropped our bags will Bell Services, and headed to DHS. Got back around 3:30 to find that our room had been ready for quite awhile. No biggie. Son and his wife drove over from Tampa and we took the boat to DTD for dinner, then back again. As usual, very nice way to get around. Did forget about not sitting on that back row tho....behind is a little sore today! A lot of engine vibration back there.
Food court was fine this morning....very pleasant CMs. The morning walk for coffee and pastries was really nice....quiet and peaceful.
Just love being back here!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #1643
c3ltspirit
Suddenly Addicted

January is soooo far away :(

This is my first time posting to this board. My husband and I signed up for the Dopey in 2015. We have only been to DW one other time -last Christmas we stayed at CBR. We are booked to stay at POR 1/6-1/16 in a Royal Room standard view. I want to change it to a garden view and add a couple days -hoping I still can since I know it books up quick. We are crazy excited and I've been reading everything on here I can to prepare.

I do have one question. I have noticed the more common complaint is about the buses and transportation. Has anyone stayed there for a marathon or if anyone knows how that transportation differs from the regular. I know they start the bus services at 3am and we plan on being there at that time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. We are pretty chill people but I want to make sure we make it to the races.

I love this board and Andre -your site is fantastic
c3ltspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #1644
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Checked out today from a weekend at POR! We loved the RR's and the fireworks above the bed were perfect! My friend's DD's loved pressing the buttons all day every day! Housekeeping was good, they left extra towels and shampoo/conditioner as requested.

When I checked in my fridge did not latch so they brought a new one and without checking later in the night, I went to get my breakfast out yesterday and everything was warm It was plugged in but not working either. I did let them know at the front desk and they credited my account $25 which was appreciated! The food court was 3x busier starting on Saturday and Today as opposed to Friday. It took my friends almost 45 mins at 7pm tonight to get pizza and pasta (no groups were there, just lots of families like us).

We said we loved RR's and the location of PP but we did say we'd never stay for an extended period of time bc of the buses. It seemed like a lot of guests used the main building bus stop to get off and on. The line to MK this morning at 7:45am was almost to the lobby and was past the 2nd station when we got off at 6pm. CMs were there tracking and we saw so many buses waiting to be dispatched in the parking lot but none seemed to come. We waited about 30 mins this morning and my friends waited about 45 mins from MK Friday night. When we left MK today the bus was nearly full and we begged to get on as we knew it probably had been a while since a bus had come…thankfully we were let on! We stay at WDW about every other month and have had better buses at POP, AoA, POFQ, and CSR…not sure what's going on at POR though.

Other than that, we had a great stay and would love to go back to the RR's again!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #1645
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Just got back. Enjoyed POR very much. Stayed in Mansion buildings gorgeous!

Totally recommend. Friendly staff, pretty resort, great food court. No negatives. Didn't use transport though had car.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #1646
disdream
Mouseketeer

We only have 223 days to go but who's counting. Ha Ha. I love to come here to get my Disney and POR fix. I love reading about everyone experiences at the resort. Hope everyone enjoys their visits.
disdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #1647
c3ltspirit
Suddenly Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdream View Post
We only have 223 days to go but who's counting. Ha Ha. I love to come here to get my Disney and POR fix. I love reading about everyone experiences at the resort. Hope everyone enjoys their visits.

I'm at 211 and on this and Disney sites every day. I think I have a problem. My poor husband suffers so much. But I just can't not be crazy happy I get to go back. Seriously thought last Christmas was a once in a lifetime trip. But it wasn't
c3ltspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #1648
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

So how many of you go back to the resort in the afternoons? We loved our afternoon swim breaks at the Poly, but it was so fast and easy to get back. Any estimates on time spent on the bus coming back to the resort during the day and then going back to a park in the evening? Is it worth it to do so?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #1649
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
So how many of you go back to the resort in the afternoons? We loved our afternoon swim breaks at the Poly, but it was so fast and easy to get back. Any estimates on time spent on the bus coming back to the resort during the day and then going back to a park in the evening? Is it worth it to do so?

We've always found it worthwhile.

MK ~ 15 minutes
HS and Epcot ~ 10-12 minutes
AK ~ 18-19 minutes
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #1650
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
We've always found it worthwhile.

MK ~ 15 minutes
HS and Epcot ~ 10-12 minutes
AK ~ 18-19 minutes
Quoting both of these, We did it more when we visited for longer amounts of days say like a 8 or 9 day stay versus only a 7 or less. Now since we live here it has gotten even more frequent because we really don't have to worry about leaving WDW behind when we leave. I'll turn around and see it the next day of work.
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: