Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
BerardFam
Earning My Ears

We were on the 15 night Panama Cruise last month (we are a family of 5 with the little one (2 years old) still in diapers). Honestly, I just packed what I wanted and didn't concern myself too much with overpacking. Between bringing diapers, wipes, snacks, formal dresses, princess dresses, shoes etc for 3 girls, we wound up with 7 checked backs and 3 carry ons. But we pretty much used everything. And, if you book the transfer through Disney, we didn't worry about the checked bags at all, they went from the porter at the airport to the porter at Disney. My husband was nervous with the all the bags, but in the end, it wasn't a big deal. And, there was plenty of room in the family verandah room to store all the luggage :-)
BerardFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper43 View Post
Oh! So these packing cubes are not the actual suitcase, they are more of an organization item for your suitcase! They really save that much room in the suitcase??
I will say that packing cubes do help you save space when packing, but you actually don't need to invest in the actual cubes to save on cost. It's really about tight packing/rolling your clothes to minimize the air in between clothes and to fit that them down to common shapes so that they fit in your luggage better.

Also one down side I've found with the travel cubes is that while they work great when you are packing all clean clothes from home, it tends to be a challenge to fit the exact same clothes back into the exact same way b/c some items are clean some are dirty, etc....

I would suggest the FuL rolling duffel bags, they combine the space of a duffel, a hard shell bottom, and rolling wheels. but the biggest thing is that they are light. Regardless of what bags you get you want to minimize the weight in the bag as much as possible. Also as others have suggested be realistic in your packing, saw a study that said average travelers return home with 6 clean unworn outfits.
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I love the ziplock trick that was mentioned on the boards. I've been doing it for years now.

Pack up a complete set of clothes for each child and place them in a ziplock bag. Makes getting dressed each day very easy.

I don't do this with my clothes but I do put all my socks in one ziplock and all my underwear in another.

I've taken my nieces (one at a time) to WDW for quite a few years. They have always pulled along a suitcase. I gave them the smaller carry on sized one. Do mix up the clothing between bags. I had a direct flight and the one with my niece's clothes got left and then sent to another airport and who knows where before it made it to Orlando almost 24 hours after we landed. Thankfully, I had one complete change of clothes for our first park day, which was the day it arrived in our room at Pop Century.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013

Last edited by squirrel; 06-04-2014 at 05:05 PM.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #19
Shuherk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I love the ziplock trick that was mentioned on the boards. I've been doing it for years now. Pack up a complete set of clothes for each child and place them in a ziplock bag. Makes getting dressed each day very easy. I don't do this with my clothes but I do put all my socks in one ziplock and all my underwear in another. I've taken my nieces (one at a time) to WDW for quite a few years. They have always pulled along a suitcase. I gave them the smaller carry on sized one. Do mix up the clothing between bags. I had a direct flight and the one with my niece's clothes got left and then sent to another airport and who knows where before it made it to Orlando almost 24 hours after we landed. Thankfully, I had one complete change of clothes for our first park day, which was the day it arrived in our room at Pop Century.
Zip locks are great, us old military guys have been doing that for years to keep stuff dry. Pack each bag with shirt, socks and underware. Larger bags hold one uniform each.
Shuherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #20
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I love the ziplock trick that was mentioned on the boards. I've been doing it for years now.

Pack up a complete set of clothes for each child and place them in a ziplock bag. Makes getting dressed each day very easy.

I don't do this with my clothes but I do put all my socks in one ziplock and all my underwear in another.

I've taken my nieces (one at a time) to WDW for quite a few years. They have always pulled along a suitcase. I gave them the smaller carry on sized one. Do mix up the clothing between bags. I had a direct flight and the one with my niece's clothes got left and then sent to another airport and who knows where before it made it to Orlando almost 24 hours after we landed. Thankfully, I had one complete change of clothes for our first park day, which was the day it arrived in our room at Pop Century.
I did the ziploc bags as well and it worked out very well. I looked into the packing cubes but it wasn't suitable for me as it was more for organization rather than space, and space was what I truly needed as I was packing all 4 of us strictly on carry-ons to avoid checked bag fees. Thus the ziplocs worked out beautifully because I was able to squeeze the air out of them and made them super compact. I went through a heck of a lot of ziploc bags but it sure was convenient.

My kids are a little older than OP's so they were able to pull/push their own rolling luggage. I got the hard case Ricardo luggage from Costco and LOVE them. They held up very well and super easy to maneuver even for the little ones.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #21
ksloane
DIS Veteran

My advice is not to spend a lot on it. I may be in the minority, but almost every cruise we've taken has had a suitcase damaged while in possession of DCL. One cruise I had bought my daughter this expensive, "pretty," tween luggage and she was heartbroken when they broke it.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #22
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane View Post
My advice is not to spend a lot on it. I may be in the minority, but almost every cruise we've taken has had a suitcase damaged while in possession of DCL. One cruise I had bought my daughter this expensive, "pretty," tween luggage and she was heartbroken when they broke it.
This is why we love LLbean for our luggage. Very durable and lifetime warranty. We have used them for WDW and DCL multiple times and they are in great shape!

I agree that I wouldn't spend the money on expensive luggage. LLbean is having a sale on discontinued patterns right now.

ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #23
MsJiminyCricket
Motley Cruise Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper43 View Post
Oh! So these packing cubes are not the actual suitcase, they are more of an organization item for your suitcase! They really save that much room in the suitcase??
You can also partition outfits into ziplocs and squeeze the air out.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #24
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Back to the luggage issue. From my last trip, I am now sold on spinners, especially if there is anyone in your party who would not be able to pull rolling luggage with two wheels over a distance of a few hundred feet. We unexpectedly had to take our luggage three blocks in the older area of Barcelona, from tour agency's drop off point to our hotel, and would not have been able to do so without our new spinner luggage. Going to get some spinner carry on bags soon!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
melissalee
Mouseketeer

I would get hard case spinner luggage. I travel a lot for work. It's so easy you barely need any force to push it along. Pulse if it's bad weather in and out the airport your things won't get wet. My mom actually had to push my luggage around while I pulled hers because it was easier on her back. And also with the spinners airport personal like them because they don't have to be thrown thy can push it on the plane etc. and if u have breakables it gives it more protection.
melissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #26
skinnerfamily
Earning My Ears

I agree with the LL Bean rolling duffle bags. They are perfect to pack and fit easily under the bed after unpacking. My 8 year old daughter can handle the extra large size even when really heavy.
skinnerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #27
skinnerfamily
Earning My Ears

LL Bean also has many sizes and colors so we always see our bag right away!

Last edited by skinnerfamily; 06-05-2014 at 08:51 AM.
skinnerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #28
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalee View Post
I would get hard case spinner luggage. I travel a lot for work. It's so easy you barely need any force to push it along. Pulse if it's bad weather in and out the airport your things won't get wet. My mom actually had to push my luggage around while I pulled hers because it was easier on her back. And also with the spinners airport personal like them because they don't have to be thrown thy can push it on the plane etc. and if u have breakables it gives it more protection.
These are absolutely the best.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #29
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalee View Post
You bring up some good points here. Thankfully, we don't ever have to lug it around much, even if the rolling duffles are easy, it would be taxing for a long distance. And the weather issue as well. The only thing that held me back from hard luggage, was the weight and the limitations with packing space. My duffles can take a LOT!

ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #30
melissalee
Mouseketeer

My hard case luggage is very light. I think my 28in is 12lb. Which is just over what any large piece of luggage would weigh. And I think my 24in is less than 10lb. And I'm definitely an over packer. I only had one issue coming back from my wedding/honeymoon which consisted of 4 days at home then 7 in Disney and 4 for a cruise. I had to take my coat out of my bag.
melissalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: