Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
belle05
Earning My Ears

Passport Card vs book

First question...does anyone actually have and have used a passport card?
2nd..Do they work the same way?
3rd.. Taking a Eastern Caribbean cruise in December, my travel agent is telling me we wont even need a passport (unless of course we get left behind). Is this true? I thought everyone needed some sort of passport always.

Thanks in advance!
belle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

A passport card will work the same as a passport book for identification purposes, which is what you would use it for on a closed-loop cruise out of a U.S. port. Birth certificate, plus photo ID for those 16+, is minimum requirement to prove identify and citizenship.

I do have a Passport Card and have used it. However, I do not recommend getting a Passport Card simply for a cruise. Either spring for the full Passport Book or skip it entirely and use BC+ID. The card has no value or benefit to help you fly -- either home due to emergency or to catch up with the ship if delayed. Those are the primary reasons for having a Passport for a cruise, and the card is useless in those instances as it is only valid for land or seas crossings in the northern hemisphere.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Never really understood the Passport card. A Passport does everything you need, and even a few things you may not have known you would need. When I switched jobs, HR snapped the Passport out of my hand, it was the best ID they needed for proof of citizenship. When DD got her driver's license, DMV didn't want anything to do with her BC when they saw she had her Passport with her.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
tankin
Mouseketeer

I have both. I travel a lot outside the US so the last time I renewed my passport, I paid the $30 for the card too. When I'm out and about, my passport book stays in the room safe and the card is on me.

That way if I have an issue, the consulate or embassy staff can quickly reissue me a book to get home
tankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Passports are more expensive than Passport Cards. If you drive, say, from the US to Canada all the time, but don't plan other international travel, a Passport Card makes that easier (who wants to carry a birth certificate around with them all the time) without the expense of a Passport. (I'm not even sure. Can you drive into Canada on a BC any more?) But for occasional foreign travel, they really have no use, and I agree that a full Passport book is the better choice.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
... Can you drive into Canada on a BC any more? ...
Nope. That's why we have our Passport Cards.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

A number of states now offer an "Enhanced" Driver's License - an "identification card that will allow them to re-enter the United States (via land or sea) from Canada, Bermuda, Mexico and the Caribbean without needing a passport". It is basically the equivalent of a passport card . So, if someone didn't want to bother with the expense of a passport, that could be an option when your driver's license comes up for renewal. It may cost a little more than a standard license, but the difference will be far less than a passport.

ETA: actually only 5 states offer it (New York, Vermont, Michigan, Washington, and Minnesota). I thought it was more.

Last edited by mcd2745; 06-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.
mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I think cards are a waste. We just always get the Passport and then we know we are good even if we have to travel through airports. You never know.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
mrsfuzzmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
A passport card will work the same as a passport book for identification purposes, which is what you would use it for on a closed-loop cruise out of a U.S. port. Birth certificate, plus photo ID for those 16+, is minimum requirement to prove identify and citizenship.

I do have a Passport Card and have used it. However, I do not recommend getting a Passport Card simply for a cruise. Either spring for the full Passport Book or skip it entirely and use BC+ID. The card has no value or benefit to help you fly -- either home due to emergency or to catch up with the ship if delayed. Those are the primary reasons for having a Passport for a cruise, and the card is useless in those instances as it is only valid for land or seas crossings in the northern hemisphere.

Enjoy your cruise!
This is a perfect and simple explanation. Nice!

We use our passport everytime we travel even domestically. We always carry them with us if we will be using an airport. We also carry them with us for a cruise. Just no better documentation ID to have. No question.
mrsfuzzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Yep yep yep. Also it was all I needed when I started my job (vs two forms of ID.) Passports are the number 1 ideal ID for anything and you only need to get them every 10 yrs. I agree with PP. Either don't bother and use your BC and ID or go all the way and be all set completely.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
richw2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankin View Post
I have both. I travel a lot outside the US so the last time I renewed my passport, I paid the $30 for the card too. When I'm out and about, my passport book stays in the room safe and the card is on me.

That way if I have an issue, the consulate or embassy staff can quickly reissue me a book to get home
Exactly what I do when traveling... Yes, they are also convienient for the cruise, and work just fine.
richw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
richw2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankin View Post

Exactly what I do when traveling... Yes, they are also convienient for the cruise, and work just fine.
richw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
JAM113
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
I think cards are a waste. We just always get the Passport and then we know we are good even if we have to travel through airports. You never know.
That's because you live in KY

If you live in a border city, it's easier to make a last minute decision to cross the border with a passport card in your wallet than it is to have your passport on you all the time. If we are out and decide we want to stop somewhere for dinner, we have the option to include Canadian border city restaurants as well.
1981-off property; 1999-day trip; 2000-Contemporary / AS Sports; 2001- off property; 2006 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2011-DCL Dream 4 night and B2B 3 night; 2012 - AS Music with Marching band; 2012-DCL Magic 8 night NYC to Bahamas; 2012 - AKV Kidani; 2013 - Saratoga Springs; 2013 - Grand Floridian Villas; 2014 - Boardwalk Villas; 2014 - DCL Wonder 5 night double dip; 2014 - Grand Floridian Resort; 2015 - AKL Jambo; 2015 DCL Magic WBTA Barcelona to Miami

Me DH DD21 DD18

JAM113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: