Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #16
macphisto96
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
I'm very confused. How can some random app creators create something that works better than what Disney is doing themselves?

I wish this was available on an Android platform. I hate the MDE/MDX app and would delete it if I had another way of using FP+ on my phone.
There are a couple reasons. First, Disney wants a very graphically oriented app for their official version AND many of those images have to load from online. Android and iOS are also both messes to develop for. If developers could choose a platform for most everyone to use, they would choose Windows and Windows Phone. Microsoft gives developers a lot more tools to create better workflows, fetch data faster, and work more smoothly. From a technical standpoint, the Windows Phone apps all have the power of .NET behind them. Both Android and iOS get app development from tools that haven't changed much in 20 years. Seriously, both use tools that were big deals when the 486 was still king and the Pentium was just coming out. The interfaces have been slightly tweaked, but I've never run into a developer that find it easy to put together apps for iOS or Android. .NET and C#, however, are pretty easy to deal with and powerful to boot. Microsoft is engaging in an initiative to get more .NET development on Android and iOS to make it easier to develop there (and simply port apps to ALL platforms immediately).

This app uses the Microsoft Metro design language, which was built for smoothness and speed. It's simple, easy to understand, and minimizes bulk to allow for greater speed from a user perspective. My main concern for a WP version of the official Disney app is that they'll just bring to bulky app over from Android and iOS through a poor port. Even the official app should run better on Windows Phone than it would on iOS or Android if it is built for WP8. The underlying infrastructure is so much better on the platform and the kernel is a lot more powerful (Windows Phone is running the desktop Windows NT kernel, not a Fisher Price Operating System like Android and iOS).
macphisto96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, my disney expedition, windows phone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: