Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Michelle1978
Earning My Ears

Is it worth it to upgrade?

We have two rooms at pop for 7 nights. 8 people total. It would cost us $830 dollars to upgrade from the quick service dining plan to the regular. No Mods available for our dates. Would you do this? Do you think it's worth it?
Michelle1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
MommaPeel
Mouseketeer

Will all 8 members eat the $830 dollars worth of additional food? If you can get the table service reservations and all 8 are able to comsume an additional $100+ worth of food per day then go for it. But that is a lot of money for food. You may do better paying OOP at that rate.

Walt Disney World - May 1994/Sept 1999/Sept 2000/Sept 2001/Jan 2002/Nov 2002/Jan 2003/Sept 2003/Sept 2008/AP holder 2008-2011/Jun 2012/Jul 2012

DISNEYLAND PARIS - March 2002/November 2004 Disneyland/California Adventure - Sept 2012

MommaPeel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

I would figure out how many table services you want and look at the cost if you paid for them oop vs paying the upgrade. We do a table service every day because it is the one way I can make sure my family sits down and rests so for us, it would be worth paying for the upgrade.

olwyngdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

If my math is right, it comes out to less than $15 per person per day to upgrade. In my opinion it's worth it, but I would check allears.net and see if it's worth it for you. Each family is different.

(Allears has every menu with prices for every restaurant.)

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
pad406
DIS Veteran

$15 per person per day to get a sit down instead of a quick service. Value wise it's certainly worth it, so the question is will you/do you want to have 1 sit down TS per day?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
scchristo
Earning My Ears

Our trip in November will be the second time we have upgraded during Free Dining, staying at POP. Last time, my husband felt it was "a wash" - we came out about equal. This time we are doing it because my stepdaughter is able to go with us for a "full family" trip.

The reason it is worth it TO ME is that we are and have done CHARACTER MEALS. We would not have chosen to do as many character meals without the "regular" dining plan. And I didn't want to feel like I was "throwing away" quick service meals in favor of eating at table service restaurants - we average two meals a day with a snack or breakfast bars or something light; sometimes we even split quick service between three of us.

My husband would NOT upgrade on his own - it's a family compromise .
11/2013 - POP - Coming soon!

scchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
OasterP
DIS Veteran

We did the upgrade because our whole point of moving onsite and doing "free" dining was to do character meals. We are there for 11 nights and have six character meals and then the rest of our ts credits filled with other buffets and other ts restaurants. It definitely made sense for us. However, if we weren't doing the character meals we would have paid out of pocket (and not moved onsite), so thank you "free" dining
Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
leebee
DIS Veteran

I felt it was worth it to upgrade when DD and I stayed at POP for 9 nights one year. We didn't have a car, so no opportunity to go to the grocery store, and it was before there were fridges in the value rooms, so we didn't have any way to keep things cold. (OK, we could have ordered from garden grocer, had them include a cooler, and then changed out ice twice a day, but I have my limits!) I also knew that two quick service meals a day for 10 days was going to get old pretty quickly. I agree that the DDP is a LOT of food, but that worked to our benefit. Each day, DD and I would share a breakfast platter at the food court using her QS credit, and then share lunch using my QS credit. That left us each a TS credit and a snack credit per day. About half of our TS credits were used at buffets or character meals, which is where these credits have their most value. It was a very good deal for us, as we were there during free dining. We upgraded and used all our credits.

Several years later, when we went to Disney with DH, neither the QSDP or the DDP upgrade (which we did) was such a good deal. DH does best with regular meals, so we ended up paying OOP for one meal per day for him, in addition to his QS, TS, and snack, although DD and I shared our credits. As DH isn't a huge Disney fan in the first place, we don't usually subject him to character meals, so there was some loss of value there. For what we consumed (nobody is a huge dessert fan), I think that when we went with DH, we would have saved money paying OOP.

There are things I like about having the TS credit: We would have gone crazy eating just quick service food for a week to ten days, so the variety of a table service meal every day is a positive for us. It's also nice to have an enforced rest period each day; we don't "do" rope drop, but arrive in the parks late morning and stay until closing. Sitting in an a/c restaurant for 60-90 minutes recharges everyone's batteries! If you use the credit for a character meal, you are saving money, because in Disney, time=money, and if you are going to be standing in lines for meet-and-greets, you might as well spend the time sitting in a restaurant, taking a break and eating, while meeting several characters in the time span you'd use for ONE m&g line.

You need to weigh your options, preferences, and touring style, and then decide if a daily TS meal is worth the upgrade for your family.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

We went in Nov and my folks and sister upgraded from QS to DDP and they loved it. It was worth it for what we wanted to do. Overall $100 per person for the whole trip is pretty reasonable.

Feb 2015 Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
isaacsfam
Earning My Ears

I think it depends on how many adults and how many children are in your group and where you would eat. Assuming you have 4 adults and 4 children Cape May would cost about $250, Crystal Palace breakfast about $200, and La Hacienda de San Angel would be about $200 (these are just rough estimates). I know I am always upset when one meal costs our family of 6 $200 because then I feel like we can only eat one or two nice meals. We have used the DP for our last trips but I remember about five years ago it was just about $200 for us to eat at Planet Hollywood (which was not at all worth the cost). Just figure out where you would eat and see if the cost is worth it to you.
isaacsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
disney meema
DIS Veteran

I think upgrading for what is about $15 a day per person is a must do. You could add another level of eating better and get to a few character meals to make it a magical vacation : ) Akershus for princesses, garden grill or chef Mickey for Mickey and friends and then some special experiences like Prime time, SciFi or dinner at BOG. The some yummy dinner at world showcase like chef de France or Teppan Edo and on and on! Go for it : )
disney meema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
KELLY
DIS Veteran

We keep the QSDP and just Pay OP for a few meals. They upgrade for the 4 of us is 580.00 plus probably a additional 300.00 in tips.. We can just do the 2 character meals and rainforest for less than tips alone, So I see no reason to upgrade.

Plus we spend a decent amount of time at the WP and I hate having to leave to go eat dinner. I guess I would figure out how much in tips you would be spending as well and add that to the total.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

It really depends on how many TS meals you would ideally like to have during your trip. The $15/day upgrade makes sense if you would want a TS meal a day, especially if you want character meals. I prefer TS to QS, so for me it would be a no brainer. But, if you were planning to mostly eat QS anyway, then I wouldn't bother with the upgrade and pay OOP for the odd TS you may want to add in.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: