Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

Victoria & Albert?

Has anyone here eaten at V&A recently? We are two adults and trying to decide if it would be worth the money, we do not use the dining plan. DH is a little adventurous with food, I'm a little more of a salad/pasta/steak kind of person.

Any input is appreciated!

...........................bored much?
snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Our Ratings of Victoria & Albert's: (*rev 1/20/2014*)
. . . food price value: A
. . . food quality: A
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: n/a
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: A
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff attentiveness: A
. . . character interaction: n/a

Our Recmmendatinos:
. . . appys: n/a (too varied, based upon chef's choice)
. . . entree: n/a (too varied, based upon chef's choice)
. . . dessert:n/a (too varied, based upon chef's choice)

NOTE: V&A is a five-star, multi-course eatery within WDW. They obviously have superb
service and excellent food. As you would expect, the plate presentation is outstanding.
To some, the inability to select from lists of menu items is a negative. Valet parking
is included. If your budget allows, V&A is a good respite from vacation food. No kids
under 10 are permitted. WARNING: if you sit under the dome, your conversation will be
heard throughout most of the restaurant. Although the price may seem high, it less than
three other eateries at WDW, on a revenue-per-person basis. Food prep time is "n/a", as
it is pre-timed for each course to allow time to eat, relax, eagerly anticipate the next
course. I don't know anyone would could possibly say that V&A was anything but a total
immersion in grand splender. A unique indulgence.

Pricing Examples:
Main Dining Room Prix Fixe, approx $316 for two w/tax-tip
W/wine pairings, add $60pp, approx $468 for two w/tax-tip
. . . With fish upgrade, add $25pp
. . . With Australian Kobe upgrade, add $35pp
. . . With Japanese Wagyu upgrade, add $80pp
. . . With Caviar upgrade, add $90-190pp

NOTE: The TIW Card will not honored after July 2014.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
. Although the price may seem high, it less than
three other eateries at WDW, on a revenue-per-person basis. [/i]
You've got me curious - what are the other three restaurants?
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
skelow401
Earning My Ears

We just went in March during Spring Break. The food is very good. Something was off for me though. I felt uncomfortable the whole time and very pretentious the whole time. Not to ruin anything but they do a lot of things that make you feel awkward. In trying to make you feel "high society" you end up feeling out of place.

You get so many small courses. I found myself really liking something, but at most its one or two bites. So you are full but not satisfied. Its like you get one bite of a Mickey Ice cream and then you move onto a funnel cake. To bad if you want more ice cream.

The cheese plate is awful and the desserts were pretty bad also. When we were there is was really loud for just a few couples being there.

It was fun to experience once but the food or experience weren't good enough to make me want to do it again.

California Grill and Artist Point were my two favorite restaurants from our trip.
skelow401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm not a very adventurous eater and I'd like to hear more too.

I'm thinking it would be worth it, just for the experience.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
CaliTex
Will work for (Disney) food!

Agree with skelow. My husband and I had pretty much the same feelings. Also love California Grill (it is particularly awesome if you can snag a ressie during Wishes) and Artist Point is also a fav.

V&A: To be fair, it has been a few years. But FWIW. It was very "hoity-toity" and that's okay, I guess, if that is what you want in a dining experience. It was dark--honestly, the waiter had to use his flashlight to serve, and they had a fire going so it was hot and stuffy, even in December. My impression? There is cozy...and then there is claustrophobic.

And the portion size was kinda silly. It was okay with me, but my DH is a big guy. Like...BIG. Think NFL big. And bringing him 3 hummingbird tongues on a ritz cracker was just making him mad. $500.00 for dinner and he is back in the room making a protein shake after dinner.

The other patrons of the restaurant kept looking at the other diners, like trying to "see and be seen", which is kinda...fey, ya know? Just eat, ok, people, and mind your own bidness...and let us eat and converse in peace, 'kay? All those people squinting in the dark at us...LOL. Like, are you someone?

Baby, everyone is someone. Hey.

Truthfully, I feel the same way about CL and that is one of the reasons I don't enjoy it much. So that is probably just a weird thing about me...I don't like artificial, pay by the pound, "specialness". I like a kind of no class divisions, we -are-all- just folks vibe much more. I like to meet and talk to people, including CMs, and V&A is not conducive to that. CL CMs are usually great, but the whole snob air is so boring.

In summary, there are just better restaurants and experiences, IMHO.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

V&A's is my top favourite, must-do restaurant. Granted, the last time I was there was in January of 2013, but my husband and I are planning, if at all possible, to go back for our anniversary in January of 2015.

It wasn't exactly what I would call whisper quiet, but as far as Disney restaurants go, the noise level was rather blissfully low.

The food was incredible, and even though it's small portions, there are a lot of courses. My husband has carried his teenage boy appetite with him into adulthood, and he says that he was extremely satisfied at the end of the meal.

The surroundings are lovely. I wouldn't call the lighting dark, but...romantic? Very soft. We had no problems seeing anything. The service was impeccable. Attentive without being obnoxious, gracious, friendly and warm but still professional. I felt quite comfortable the whole time I was there.

However, while I can rave about how much I love this restaurant all day, at the end, it really comes down to everyone's personal preferences. Do you enjoy tasting menus or small bits of fine cuisine? Or would you just be happier with a giant steak and pile of potatoes? Are service, setting, and attention to detail worth the extra cost to you? Are you comfortable in a more refined setting, or do you prefer casual? I wouldn't call Victoria & Albert's stuffy or snooty by any means, but mileages vary. What I find to be comfortably sumptuous someone else might see as stuck up. While V&A's isn't strictly formal (it's not black tie and ballgown required), and no one will chastise you for not knowing which fork to use, it's still dressier and more posh than the other signature restaurants.
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
You've got me curious - what are the other three restaurants?

On a per-capita-check-revenue basis, the highest priced eateries at WDW are
. . . #1: Flying Fish
. . . #2: Jiko
. . . #3: Fulton's Crab
. . . #4: Victoria & ALbert's

NOTE: One would think that V&A was the most expensive at WDW, but when
appys, entrees, desserts, coffe, drinks, and wine are included, nope. WDW
looks at the totals when calculating revenue. We learned this one day in training.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
mare1203
Mouseketeer

If someone gave me the chance to go to V&A I would accept every single time. I'd absolutely throw the dress in my bag and go and I'm not generally into dressing up.

For me it is an experience unlike any other, but I also think dining out is an experience in and of itself. As others have said, you have to determine what kind of eater you are. Do you live to eat or eat to live? If it's the latter and you're looking for an experience I would do Shula's because you get a big steak and shareable sides for slightly less $$.

If you are looking for a live to eat experience then V&A's will hit a completely different experience. Fine dining to me is the opportunity for the chef to take ingredients I do not use at home and turn them into something special. For me, too often the term fine dining is applied to steak and seafood houses where I in turn feel ordering anything other than steak or lobster is 'meh'. At V&A's there isn't that same focus and I can order something that I had never had before and trust that it is perfectly cooked. That's why I like the 5-7 course tasting. We have always left stuffed. The coffee presentation is awesome, too. We did the wine pairing and found it to be a nice addition, but they do give you a healthy pour, so watch out! The wines pair beautifully. The waitstaff go out of their way to make sure you know your options and get something that you will like, so if you aren't an overly adventurous eater this is a great place to get out of your comfort zone. I don't think most people would have trouble finding courses to their liking.

We did not feel the atmosphere was too dark or hoity-toity. It is dimly lit, though. We have gone twice; once on 12/12 and recently in February. We never felt like others were looking around at us (to be fair, we weren't looking around at them either, rather enjoying a rare family dinner together as my sister and I have moved away from home). I think you should try it. If it's not your thing then you don't go back, but you can say you did it once!
mare1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Back to the OP's comments--unfortunately there IS no steak at V&A unless you want to pay a premium for Kobe or Wagyu beef.

We've been there over 25 times and it is a fine restaurant. Last meal there was May 2.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: