Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
amberg93
DIS Veteran

"I bet they get Charmin" A May 2014 Girls Trip **11/21 x2**

Introduction

Welcome, welcome, to the third TR of Amber and Marie. Arguably the first 'real' trip of ours and certainly an adventure that will be hard to forget. In fact, it was such a big adventure that it requires two narrators.

That's right! This TR will be narrated by both myself and by my lovely DW, Marie.

There's an easy way to tell who is writing what. Want to know it? Our usernames will be on the top left corner But, if you want it to be easier and don't want to have to look for who is writing it, all my posts will be written with the current color and font.

Marie's posts will be written like this.

I know, I've always used purple in the past and now she's using it. Oh well, I trust you guys will keep it straight. Plus, in mine I'll use Marie's name and she'll use mine in hers so that should help

Now that that is all settled, let's get on with the introductions because there are a lot of them this time around. If you followed along with our PTR you'll have already read this, but otherwise I've got the run down here.

The Narrators

Your Ghost Host

That would be me. I'm Amber, I'm 21 years old, cancer free from lymphoma (hence my buttons that you'll see this trip), a Michigan native but Quebec immigrant and Disney is my happy place. I was one of the two 'moms' of the trip. I love Winnie the Pooh, Beauty and the Beast, Cars, and The Haunted Mansion. I'm also a slightly unreliable narrator. Fair warning.
Random quote: "Promise we won't die?"

Your Chief Flight Attendant

That would be my lovely wife, Marie. She's 25 years old and was the other trip 'mom' of the group. She loves all things Disney and tends to be the planner of the group. She's much more patient than I am and will probably be a better narrator than I am. Soarin is her happy place and she gives this trip a better overall rating than I do.
Random quote: "I even did a pose!"

The Friends

Eli

Properly named Cassandra, she'll be called Eli throughout the TR. She's 24, from New Jersey and we've known her since 2008. I'm not going to lie, she made this trip difficult for me. So, when it comes to things written about her, the tone will probably not always be the best. She wasn't terrible the whole time and we had some good times, so I'll try not to be too harsh on her.
Would we take her again? No.
Random quote: "[Pin trading] is a sick, sick game."

Merranda

An improv comedian, Merranda had everyone cracking up all trip. She's 20, from Michigan and I've known her since I was in the 1st grade. She was awesome all trip and very easy going. She especially enjoyed Epcot and snacking around the world.
Would we take her again? Definitely.
Random quote: "But what if I'm a robot?"

Traci

I've been friends with Traci since I moved to my old town in the 7th grade. She's 21 and goes to college in Tennessee, where she came straight from to Orlando to take this trip. She was great company although she was having issues with her feet during the trip so she sometimes had trouble keeping pace.
Would we take her again? Yup.
Random quote: "I was a good girl and put on my sunscreen all by myself."

Veronica

Veronica and Merranda were pretty much partners in crime this trip, meaning they were hilarious together. She's a vegetarian so we had to plan around that for the first time, is 20 and from Michigan. I've also known her since 7th grade. Her ambition this trip was to spot an alligator. She also enjoys ice cream. A lot
Would we take her again? Absolutely.
Random quote: "Look at all the venomous snakes that live in Florida!"

Now that all those introductions are out of the way let's give some more quick information.

Where? All Star Sports Resort with connecting rooms.
When? May 11th to May 19th, 2014
Why? This is explored in the PTR but long story short: Marie and I never had a proper wedding, so we decided to spend the money to take our favorite people to Disney World instead. This means we paid room and tickets for everyone. We also paid for food for Eli and Traci.
Additional information: We purchased the Memory Maker. Marie and I still had our APs but all the girls had regular Magic Your Way tickets.

This trip is going to be a roller coaster, but what do you expect with 6 girls and 4 first timers at the World? Here's some of what you can expect along the way:
  • Drama. Yup, it's gonna happen. Fair warning.
  • Lots and lots of laughter.
  • A food coma.
  • Flower and Garden Festival.
  • Star Wars Weekends.
  • Every single mode of transportation.
  • A photoshoot.
  • Glamorous selfies.
  • Character meets.
  • Special guest appearances by Tumblr users Hayley of Magical Ribbons and Aidan of DisneyDelirium.
  • AND MUCH MORE.

So settle in, grab your favorite snack and get ready because it's going to be a wild ride.
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter "A for effort, C for execution." MNSSHP + F&W *In progress*

Last edited by amberg93; 11-21-2014 at 09:37 PM.
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

MAY 9 & 10, 2014
Traveling to the World
"It's okay, you're in Orlando."

MAY 11, 2014
Part 1: "Please, please don't put us on the Mears bus."
Part 2: "You're not allowed to hate this."
Part 3: "Join the party, the Castle party!"
Part 4: "That sounds promising."
Part 5: "Wait, where's the Castle?"

MAY 12, 2014
Part 1: "I'm gonna Rwar at it!"
Part 2: An Almost Dis-Meet
Part 3: Simba One
Part 4: This Is Not Okay
Part 5: "Are we allowed to sit here?"
Part 6: "Have you seen Marie?"

MAY 13, 2014
Part 1: Early Morning Walk
Part 2: "I work for Disney, I don't have 21 dollars either"
Part 3: "You could dance."
Part 4: "Why would you do that?!"
Part 5: "There's a better way to say that."
Part 6: "The hardest thing to do for this ride is a deadpan face."
Part 7: "I told you everyone knows this song!"

MAY 14, 2014
Part 1: "The wheels on the bus go round and round"
Part 2: "Okay, now we have to book it."
Part 3: "And the rain rain rain came down down down"
Part 4: "If you see a table, jump on it."
Part 5: "Is this a real song?"

MAY 15, 2014
Part 1: "It's your choice."
Part 2: "We're going to be late."
Part 3: "Now curtsey and tell me how handsome I am."
Part 4: "I'm going to hypnotize you until you believe in gay rights."
Part 5: "We're singing in the rain.."
Part 6: "Wait, are you serious?"

MAY 16, 2014
Part 1: "Why'd you promise that?
Part 2: "You're like a baby bird."
Part 3: "I want to meet Darth Goofy!"

Other Updates
Real Life Update #1
Real Life Update #2: Non-Dis PTR
Real Life Update #3: Mini-Cruise TR

May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter "A for effort, C for execution." MNSSHP + F&W *In progress*

Last edited by amberg93; 11-21-2014 at 09:36 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

By gum you know I am following along ... looks like quite the crew!

Ok, back to catching up on your last TR ... as soon as I get this dust out of my eye that must have come in right as I read about your Ariel meet

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Here Amber and Marie!!

So you decided not to wait until your prior reports were completed. I can dig it. Good luck with juggling 2 TR's (especially Marie, lol).

Also, I love me drama, so bring it.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
By gum you know I am following along ... looks like quite the crew!

Ok, back to catching up on your last TR ... as soon as I get this dust out of my eye that must have come in right as I read about your Ariel meet
Glad to have you aboard again

Oh I know, that dust is just so sneaky. I understand exactly why you'd have problems with it getting in the way. No worries though, I'm sure it'll be gone soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Here Amber and Marie!!

So you decided not to wait until your prior reports were completed. I can dig it. Good luck with juggling 2 TR's (especially Marie, lol).

Also, I love me drama, so bring it.
Yay Rob is here!

I know, it's a bold choice not to wait to finish the other two. But don't worry, I've just got 2 days left to finish... well plus departure day and wrap up. I can handle the juggling of two at one time. Marie on the other hand... I'm sure I can step in on her TR if need be too

And good, because it will be brought
Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
dramadrew
Mouseketeer

Yay! I look forward to this review. Be sure to mention the cute couple in front of you meeting Donald at AK. :wink: Did you know they were meeting there? I think I saw something quickly on the internet that week, but I wasn't paying attention. It wasn't until the CM was like, "Meet Donald and Daisy," I knew about it. Then reading an article after the trip that I realized they replaced Pooh and Tigger.
dramadrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Villainess
Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Hi! - joining in the fun & excitement!

Villainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
BOG Obsessed
Foodie & Disney Lover= Pure Bliss

Following along from your other TR.
Looking forward to reading your adventures on your Girls Trip to DW.
BOG Obsessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramadrew View Post
Yay! I look forward to this review. Be sure to mention the cute couple in front of you meeting Donald at AK. :wink: Did you know they were meeting there? I think I saw something quickly on the internet that week, but I wasn't paying attention. It wasn't until the CM was like, "Meet Donald and Daisy," I knew about it. Then reading an article after the trip that I realized they replaced Pooh and Tigger.
Glad to have you aboard

Oh, and how could I forget to mention the ultra cute couple that we all yelled at? No way that could happen

And yes, I did know that they were meting there. We'd actually planned on meeting Pooh and Tigger there and had read that they were leaving before we got there. We only ended up going to meet them because we stopped to trade pins and found that there was like no wait so the girls wanted to do it. Funny how that stuff works out, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post

Hi! - joining in the fun & excitement!
Welcome! Hope you enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOG Obsessed View Post
Following along from your other TR.
Looking forward to reading your adventures on your Girls Trip to DW.
Thanks. Glad to see another familiar face and the adventures are being typed up as I speak by the lovely Marie, so hopefully they'll start soon
Old 05-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
DisDance
Mouseketeer

I'm in! I think I'll have to keep the into open as a reference, idk how I will keep everyone straight! Looking forward to the TR, Pops for you guys for tackling this, I have been to the DW with a large group and yes big groups and drama go hand in hand! Seems like you had a good time though!
DisDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

Traveling To The World

Checking in and ready to get started! Hey, maybe we'll finish all three of our In Progress Trip Reports before our September trip!

Or maybe just Amber will

Moving on!

For the first time in our Disney travels, this trip started several days prior to our arrival to the World. We had decided a while ago that we wanted to arrive into Orlando the night prior to our checking in date, so that we would be at the airport in time to greet all our friends, and also well rested for our first park day!

As it turns out, we chose to fly from Newark rather than Montreal, for the very simple reason that the Montreal flight was at a ridiculous amount of expensive and we've been spoiled with flight prices so over 400$ is a no go for me. Plus, Eli lives in New Jersey, so she'd be flying from there anyway.

The plan was to fly standby (yay for travel perks!) on the 9th of May from Montreal to Newark, and then get on a plane to sunshiny Orlando the next morning!

We actually ended up driving down to New Jersey though, because Eli saw that Justin Nozuka was performing in Montreal on the evening of May 8th, whereas his New York/New Jersey shows would occur while we were down in Florida, so she offered to take us back down with her after coming up for the show. And hey, anything that saves us money is fine by me, so we agreed to that plan!

So Eli got to our place on the evening of May 8th and then pretty much went right off to the show in Montreal while we took it upon ourselves to pack! She got home a little past midnight, and then it was off to bed for all of us.

Next morning, Amber woke up at 5:45 in the morning - upon which she had to remind her body we were only leaving for New Jersey that day so there was no reason to be overly excited, and went back to sleep until we both woke up at 8.

I then took care of some last minute packing while Amber got some stuff done on her Tumblr account, because she has her priorities straight.

Ready to get on the road!

But not quite yet. We brought all our bags and suitcases downstairs and Amber got herself some toast with cinnamon and sugar, which she figured she might as well take a picture of in preparation for Disney food pictures. To which I admittedly questioned the interest of people in toast, but just in case, here you have it

Before leaving, we obviously had to watch our Disney movie countdown of the day - Frozen!

We admittedly never watched Tangled, which was the last movie of the countdown, but you know, stuff happens.

With the movie over, we finally got ourselves ready to get on the road around 11:30, and my dad helped me load as much stuff as possible in the trunk of Eli's car - he was luckily able to fit in the two big suitcases, meaning I only had to share the back seat with the carry ons - yay!

Off we gooooooo!

Before too long, we made it to the border into the US of A

Hello, United States!

The customs agent seemed a bit iffy at the fact that I didn't have a return flight ticket, but that will happen when you're flying standby. I promise sir, I'm coming back to Canada. Not that I specifically don't want to stay in Disney my whole life, but I have to work and all.

He also asked us at two different occasions how much cash we were carrying. Thankfully, nobody was snarky and answered "same as two minutes ago" because that could have gotten me turned around pretty quick.

Once we got ourselves past the border, Eli stopped at a nearby Dunkin Donut to check some stuff on her phone with the wifi and get gas, and soon we were on our way again!

Now, nothing very special happened. We listened to music, we talked some, I played some games on my tablet and Amber played games on my phone. Road trips aren't exactly what they're cracked up to be.

A little after 3, we made a stop for food at a rest stop along the highway

Which got me confused, because it was the same one we stopped at when, a couple of years before, Eli had driven us from New Jersey to Canada, and now we were going South instead of North. I still don't understand the logic of that exit. But it had food so who cares!

Eli got herself a burger and fries

I got a pepperoni pretzel with a strawberry lemonade

And Amber got a pretzel dog with a cinnamon sugar pretzel

Note to self: Ask for separate bag for cinnamon sugar pretzel next time. It WILL contaminate everything in its path.

Our bellies full of nommy food, we got back on the road and ended up making it into New Jersey a little after 6, in the drizzle

We dropped off out stuff at Eli's house and then headed out to Walmart for some last minute purchases we chose to make in the US (breakfast foods, sunscreen face stick, toothpaste, etc), because for one thing, the US is much cheaper than Canada, and for another, we had a gift card. Eli also stopped by her job to get her pay check for the week.

After the short shopping trip, we got ourselves dinner at KFC because Amber misses the American sides in Canada (sorry, we do fries and macaroni salad, not mac n cheese and mashed potatoes. I know, I feel it too). We ate back at Eli's place while she got herself packed, and activated the cheap track phone we got for the trip while watching the News.

We headed off to sleep before too late, ready for the next travel day to come! Unfortunately, neither of us ended up sleeping too well. I rarely sleep well the first night in a new bed, and Amber was lacking pillows, so she kept waking up through the night.

We still got ourselves up at 7:45, and Amber worked on her October Trip Report while I played some Fruit Ninja, because that's the way to start the morning right. Poor Amber then found herself locked out of her Tumblr account with no way to get back in (she's gotten access back now though, so it's all good), and I got a call from my mom with not so good news from home, but she wanted to make sure I wouldn't find out on Facebook.

With a tougher than expected start to the morning, we still got ourselves ready to get going and headed downstairs to try and find some breakfast. We ended up waiting for Eli to get up first, and got ourselves some maple flavored mini-Eggos. We got some more Disney talk out of the way while we ate, to try and better prepare her for the trip, and then headed back to the living room to wait for her mother who was taking us to the airport but had gone out that morning.

She didn't think it was necessary to take us until 11, but Amber and I always prefer getting to the airport on the early side, because you never know what can happened, so we asked to leave at 10:30.

She got back home at 10:40, at which time we promptly took our bags out to the car so we could finally get going

We then waited a few more minutes while Eli made the last minute decision to pack up nail polish seeing as she hadn't gotten to paint her nails yet, and finally, a little before 10:50, we were on our way to Newark airport!

We tried checking in at the self check-in machines, but for some reason it wouldn't let us, so we got in line for assistance and finally got everything settled.

We were then sent through a pretty much empty security line, and breezed through security without having to take off anything (shoes, laptop out of bag, nothing, nada). Which was both awesome and slightly concerning, but we're still alive today so there you go!

Seeing as we still had a bit of time to kill before our flight, we decided to get some lunch at Currito Cantina, where both Eli and Amber got a chicken quesadilla

And I got chicken tacos, hold everything but chicken and cheese. It looks bland but it's delicious. DON'T JUDGE ME

Once food was eaten, we headed back over to our gate area and waited for boarding. The flight was actually delayed from 12:48 to 1:11, but seeing as we were the first to get into Orlando and Disney wasn't until the next day, it didn't phase us too much.

Amber took that time to write down some trip report notes, and then they announced they would begin boarding soon, so of course everyone started lining up and piling around the boarding area. Like, you have assigned seats, people! Chillax a little, you're on vacation.

Not too long after that, our names got called up and we were randomly upgraded to the Even More Space seats. I'll take it!

Eli was a little less excited, because she's afraid of flying, and originally being in row 19, we had just gone over the fact that the back of the plane is the safest place to sit in whereas the front is where you're pretty much a goner if the plane crashes. Oops?

It's okay though, because we made it alive. Hooray!

After boarding, the flight got delayed even further as the flight after ours was cancelled, and they had fourteen people to reprotect on ours, so we waited for them to come around. All fourteen people ended up being one large family that wouldn't listen to the flight attendants as to where to sit, so the dad kept going up and down the aisle to try and head count everyone about ten times.

Finally, he seemed to get everyone settled, and JetBlue unlocked the movie channels for free because of the delay.

Florida, here we come!

Click for next post

Last edited by MarieLightning; 05-27-2014 at 09:23 PM.
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDance View Post
I'm in! I think I'll have to keep the into open as a reference, idk how I will keep everyone straight! Looking forward to the TR, Pops for you guys for tackling this, I have been to the DW with a large group and yes big groups and drama go hand in hand! Seems like you had a good time though!
We're glad to have you here.

It is quite the grouping but I think that it'll be easy to keep people straight as soon as we get started more properly.

So I've come to see since I got back and heard from others. I just thought we'd manage to avoid it. Clearly I was living a bit of a fantasy

And we did have some really great times that I can't wait to share.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

"... Or maybe just Amber will"... Good save there Marie!

Aha, so Eli drove from Jersey to Montreal to drive back to Jersey? Ok, got it.

Curious. What terminal were you flying from? I'm thinking "A" with the really low security line. Every time I've connected through Newark, that security line is always nil.

Glad you made it alive. Otherwise this would be an extremely shocking post.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
DisneyMountainWoman
Mouseketeer

Hello from facebook, cannot wait to read the rest of your trip!
DisneyMountainWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
"... Or maybe just Amber will"... Good save there Marie!

Aha, so Eli drove from Jersey to Montreal to drive back to Jersey? Ok, got it.

Curious. What terminal were you flying from? I'm thinking "A" with the really low security line. Every time I've connected through Newark, that security line is always nil.

Glad you made it alive. Otherwise this would be an extremely shocking post.
Well, it is four months away, I might at least get the November one done by then!

Yep, drove up on the 8th, went to see the show, and drove back down with us the next day

I don't remember 100% but I do think it was terminal A. We did go back through during our return adventures (for later :P) cause Air Canada is the same terminal and they were stricter at that point, but yeah. I guess they just felt like being chill

Posting from the beyond! Maybe that's why Amber is your ghost host

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMountainWoman View Post
Hello from facebook, cannot wait to read the rest of your trip!
Hope you enjoy it!
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: