Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2inCT View Post
Twindaddy: People here wear diamonds and pearls to the grocery store!
If ya got 'em, why wouldn't you wear them to the store? I used to wear my grandma's pearls with a white button-up shirt and jeans...I loved that outfit. Oh and I was a teen and am from California. (though my mom was born in CT and grew up in Schenectady, maybe that's why I liked doing that?)

OP we're pretty casual at home so we are dressy on cruises. DS wear nice khakis and generally a polo-style shirt for dinners. We haven't done a Disney cruise with a formal night, but he was absolutely over the moon to wear his brand new suit on the two formal nights on Royal a few months ago. He looked fabulous! Of course we made sure it was properly fitted to him so it was comfortable, and we make sure to get COMFORTABLE dress shoes for him. (Famous Footwear had Buster Brown brand in his size and he really likes them)

For DS and DH we try to get their fancy clothes as comfy as casual clothes are, and it makes all the difference.

For me, once I give up on the heels and buy some pretty flats, I'll have the same sort of comfort level, because I like wearing dresses.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
Made Up Name
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewdw View Post
planning first cruise ever in few weeks. what is appropriate for kids to wear at dinner? daughter 10, boys 8. are nice t shirts and khaki shorts ok for boys or should it be pants and pullovers?
mikewdw
They will be fine wearing that, but they will fit in more in the MDRs wearing a polo shirt or other type of collared shirt.
Made Up Name is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
orlandochick
Earning My Ears

Sorry to steal someone else's thread but I am a first time Disney cruiser and hadn't realised there would be a formal night! Is this even on 4 night cruises?
X
orlandochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
Belleluvswdw
Mouseketeer

DS has always gone to dinner in either khakis or nice cargo shorts and a polo. DD wears a nice, light sundress with a short cardigan. It's pretty much the same for the adults too. I don't want to lug a bunch of formal clothes on vacation for a 2 hour meal :-/. I dress up every day for work, vacation is a time to relax. Not to mention luggage space is precious and limited.
Belleluvswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochick View Post
Sorry to steal someone else's thread but I am a first time Disney cruiser and hadn't realised there would be a formal night! Is this even on 4 night cruises?
X
No, 4 night cruises have an optional dress up night.

In GA we wear shorts most everywhere with the exception of the office, weddings, funerals, and super nice restaurants.

My boys wore shorts and a polo or button down every night.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #21
Belleluvswdw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochick View Post
Sorry to steal someone else's thread but I am a first time Disney cruiser and hadn't realised there would be a formal night! Is this even on 4 night cruises? X
No, 4 nighters do not have a formal night to my knowledge...
Belleluvswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #22
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

For boys, I would reccomend button down or polo shirts with nice pants. For girls, I would reccomend sundresses or a nice shirt with nice pants

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
orlandochick
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the replies! Wouldn't have minded a formal night, would be nice to dress up for a change but my kids dress pretty well anyway, especially when going out for food
orlandochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
danielle782001
DIS Veteran

First, I have lived on Long Island for 40 years and we are very informal people. And everyone around us is too. Vacations and weekends is comfortable but presentable. This statement about how people dress on the east coast confuses me.

Anyway, to the OP...We put our boys in polo style shirts and khaki-style shorts every night. Except on the night of the Pirate Party. That night the wore (and will wear again) a Mickey pirate shirt. DH dressed in a similar fashion. I was in casual skirts and dresses each night. No "formal" night for us.

I have to admit, I did feel under dressed in comparison to some people. But other I thought were really over the top. Tuxes and glitter dresses. A little much for a vacation.

DH reassured me that we looked appropriate, so that is how we plan to dress again in July.

DVC Members @ AKL & SSR
*? 1975- Off Property *Aug 1988- Off Property *July 2001- AKL/WL (Our Honeymoon) *Dec 2005-WL (MVMCP) *Dec 2006- BWV(MVMCP) *May 2007- BCV *Oct 2007- VWL Happy Birthday AJ! (MNSSHP) *Jan 2008-AKL (P&PP)*July 2009 SSR/AKL*Thanksgiving 2009-AKL *July 2010 AKL CL/BLT/Poly*July 2011 BLT & BC*June 2012 SSR*Dec 2012 SSR & WL*July 2013 AKL/BWV/DCL*June 2014 VGF & DCL
Me (40) DH (44)DS (11) DS (9)
danielle782001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #25
Momof2inCT
Earning My Ears

Okay, I was clearly just speaking for my own experience in a tiny slice of part of the Northeast, which is a little on the formal side. However, even the last poster mentioned that she dressed her own kids in polos (which are collared shirts, not t-shirts, which is the distinction I was really making) and she felt a little underdressed. Personally, wear what you want and have a good time! But, since this thread was ASKING what to wear, it was my own experience that the MDRs are a little more collar shirts than t-shirts and more khakis and sundresses than shorts, although you can certainly wear t-shirts and no one will blink an eye (and who cares anyway if they do!).

I hope everyone has a great cruise!
Momof2inCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: