Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Air fate for transatlantic cruises

Husband finally agreed to a WBTA for next year. I so want to go! But the air is what is Turing me away. I have been researching air and the only decent one I can find is Aer Lingus from either MCO or Chicago. Which is around $750. But that means driving 6 plus hours to MCO or getting a SW flight to Chicago. For those that have done the flights how did you get your cheap flight. I live in NWFl. It just seems like a big hassle. I still will then need to get from Miami back home as well.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

This fall for the WBTA we are letting Disney do it. We got (thru them) the flight from IA to Barcelona and flight from San Juan to IA for about $1330 per person. We may have been able to get it a little cheaper but it isn't too far out from what others are paying and no checking airline prices obsessively for months.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

We fly from the east coast and pay about $700, one-way, to/from Europe. I don't think you will find it much cheaper. The high one-way fare is the reason the TAs are such a great deal. By the time you pay for everything the price comes out about the same as any other cruise. That said, the TAs are wonderful and you should definitely do one, if possible.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

I know it's kind of a pain but I think you should consider driving to either MCO or Atlanta. You can get much better fares on flights and if you drive MCO and you end up there after the cruise you can spend a couple days at Disney.

Both times I've done the transatlantic I've gotten my tickets from places such as cheap tickets or Kayak. I've heard good things about one 800 fly Europe, I believe it is called. This year I got tickets from Raleigh to Barcelona for $750 each on Kayak. From San Juan Puerto Rico to home I used points on Southwest. Without the points I think the cost was about $120 each. I think the best time to get the tickets to Europe is 8 to 12 months out. If you Google that there's some kind of article where they've researched this issue.

Hope this helps good luck!
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I have seen some great flights out of Miami on places like Kayak and Vayama. It sounds to good to be to true. But will just have to pay that when we get closer to that time. I don't want to get to Miami and find out that the ticket is no good.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
ludari
DIS Veteran

I have to admit that I noticed airfare for transatlantic cruises are sometimes more than the cruise itself. That being said I know a lot of people on my WBTA cruise have been finding the best deals five and six month before the scheduled cruise. If you also have to drive to get a good price you should consider that but also compare that cost of the actual airfare to you the time and inconvenience having to drive. Good luck with your search.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
DCL Repeaters
DCL addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
Husband finally agreed to a WBTA for next year. I so want to go! But the air is what is Turing me away. I have been researching air and the only decent one I can find is Aer Lingus from either MCO or Chicago. Which is around $750. But that means driving 6 plus hours to MCO or getting a SW flight to Chicago. For those that have done the flights how did you get your cheap flight. I live in NWFl. It just seems like a big hassle. I still will then need to get from Miami back home as well.

Back in 2010 we did the WBTA and we did book the air through DCL (which included transportation from BCN to the ship) and in all honesty I could not match the price DCL gave us with anyone else. This was through MCO. When the cruise is announced and you book it, get a price quote from DCL. You can use those numbers to see if you can do better.
DCL Repeaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

How much was the airfare? Could you do a pre cruise hotel on your own. We want to do 2 nights in my CC points. Was the flight mostly direct.?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: