Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #166
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Subscribing in & anxiously awaiting prices & if any early registration will be offered!!!

I will be attending PHM weekend doing the Glass Slipper Challenge! Staying at AKL (ressie already made! ). This will be a 'runners' weekend with 'the girls' and I am very excited about it all!

I am also doing ToT in October with the hubby....

And I did Wine & Dine 1/2 last November.

I am newer to running & very slow. Not particularly good at it but enjoy the Disney races! They are so much fun!
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #167
FrenchSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Sitting in my home office listening to some videos on youtube of the 5k and
10k of 2014.

Just walked my very first 5.5k yesterday after 4 weeks of training
I was so proud of myself!!!

Now, I'm thinking next february should I do 5k & 10K??
Scared is what I am right now!!!
I see all those nice videos and I know I cannot really run, not like must of you do anyway And I ask myself if 10k is not too much when you are NOT a runner....

And then I ask my self what kind of event I want to live, fast or stop and take pictures with Mickey, Minnie and everyone else...
But how can I stop everywhere if I'm not running....

Oh boy do I have questions on this Easter saturday!!!!!
FrenchSnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #168
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
Subscribing in & anxiously awaiting prices & if any early registration will be offered!!!

I will be attending PHM weekend doing the Glass Slipper Challenge! Staying at AKL (ressie already made! ). This will be a 'runners' weekend with 'the girls' and I am very excited about it all!

I am also doing ToT in October with the hubby....

And I did Wine & Dine 1/2 last November.

I am newer to running & very slow. Not particularly good at it but enjoy the Disney races! They are so much fun!
Hey, why are you putting me in QUOTES?? Am I not really a girl, so you have to use quotes?!?!?

And no calling yourself slow MyGoldenCupcakeTweedle. One person's slow is another person's speedy!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #169
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

FrenchSnowWhite, I'm still scared everytime I do a race. I also think, "What have I gotten myself into" and "Why do I do this to myself". One of my past races, I thought at the start line, "I can't do this". After six half marathons, I always pull through. With all the training, you've done the mileage a million times. My goal is always, just to finish, but I always have a time in mind, too.
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #170
MinnieMouse28
Prepare for ludicrous speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSnowWhite View Post
10k of 2014.

I see all those nice videos and I know I cannot really run, not like must of you do anyway And I ask myself if 10k is not too much when you are NOT a runner....

And then I ask my self what kind of event I want to live, fast or stop and take pictures with Mickey, Minnie and everyone else...

You are feeling exactly how I did when I starting training for my first race...this would have been about 15 years ago. I signed up for a local 10K and I was hoping that I would be able to complete it. After many months of training, I DID make it and once I crossed that finish line, I was hooked.

You are giving yourself plenty of time to train for a 10K. Just work on it bit by bit. Maybe sign up for a local 5K in a few months to see how you feel. If you are worried about not being able to take pictures with characters, see where you are towards the end of the race. I tend to take my pictures with characters towards the end. That way I know that I'm almost there.

Good luck with everything!
MinnieMouse28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #171
extremesoccermom
DIS Veteran

I'm in.. I have been a walker for years. My mother and I used to attend monthly Volksmarches in the St. Louis when I was just out of high school. I have never been much of a runner though. About 4-5 years ago I developed plantar fasciitis so bad I gave up walking and gained a bunch of weight. Since then I have had 3 surgeries on my feet and been diagnosed with Diabetes. .
However this past year I decided that my feet were up to walking again. I started walking on my work breaks and some in the evening. I lost 25 lbs but hit a plateau. It was about then I heard about C25K and started dreaming of doing A 5K at Disney.
The wheels started to turn I made it through week one easily then found a local free group that were going to start the next week in prep for a local 5K in May. My DH was going to join me (but he ended up bailing on me) I still went to the group run redoing week one with the group was fun and I made some new friends. We are now on W6D1 (tomorrow) and I am keeping up. My feet still feel great and I have lost more inches and some weight. I signed up for the groups 5K and started planning for the Royal Family 5K in February 2015.
I found out there is a free 5K I can run on Castaway Cay. We already had a cruise booked for Nov but too late for the Wine and Dine. Soooo when DVC announced a discount on PAP I bought one as did DD19. We will spend a couple of days before the cruise in WDW then meet up with the boys, head to Vero Beach for 4 days and off to the cruise with the intent to sign up for the 5K as soon as we can.
With PAP I started to look at some more trips, then thought well if I plan them the weeks of the runs then I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Ok I will try out a number of the WDW 5K So trips planned for Feb, May?, Aug?, Oct and Nov 2015.
Then I started to read some of the trip reports from this years GSC and now I want to try the 10K and 1/2 marathon in Feb . I think I have DD talked into joining me for the 10K portion at least. We are booked at BLT in a studio. Now I am waiting for early registration to open for DVC members .
94 WL, 98 POFQ, 00 FW, 02 CS & offsite x2, 04 AKL & POR, 05 PC & ASMo, 06 POR, 07 Disneyland, SSR free DDP & Upgrade from PC, 08 OKW, 09 PC, AKV DVC, PC, 10 BLT MK view DCL, 11 Pop/AKV, 12 GCV, 13 Hawaii DVC, 14 Romania, Dream: DL Paris, Tokoyo

GOLD STAR POPCentury Fridge/Toaster Swap

extremesoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #172
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

Welcome extremesoccermom. Congratulations on your recent success.
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #173
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremesoccermom View Post
I'm in.. I have been a walker for years. My mother and I used to attend monthly Volksmarches in the St. Louis when I was just out of high school. I have never been much of a runner though. About 4-5 years ago I developed plantar fasciitis so bad I gave up walking and gained a bunch of weight. Since then I have had 3 surgeries on my feet and been diagnosed with Diabetes. . However this past year I decided that my feet were up to walking again. I started walking on my work breaks and some in the evening. I lost 25 lbs but hit a plateau. It was about then I heard about C25K and started dreaming of doing A 5K at Disney. The wheels started to turn I made it through week one easily then found a local free group that were going to start the next week in prep for a local 5K in May. My DH was going to join me (but he ended up bailing on me) I still went to the group run redoing week one with the group was fun and I made some new friends. We are now on W6D1 (tomorrow) and I am keeping up. My feet still feel great and I have lost more inches and some weight. I signed up for the groups 5K and started planning for the Royal Family 5K in February 2015. I found out there is a free 5K I can run on Castaway Cay. We already had a cruise booked for Nov but too late for the Wine and Dine. Soooo when DVC announced a discount on PAP I bought one as did DD19. We will spend a couple of days before the cruise in WDW then meet up with the boys, head to Vero Beach for 4 days and off to the cruise with the intent to sign up for the 5K as soon as we can. With PAP I started to look at some more trips, then thought well if I plan them the weeks of the runs then I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Ok I will try out a number of the WDW 5K So trips planned for Feb, May?, Aug?, Oct and Nov 2015. Then I started to read some of the trip reports from this years GSC and now I want to try the 10K and 1/2 marathon in Feb . I think I have DD talked into joining me for the 10K portion at least. We are booked at BLT in a studio. Now I am waiting for early registration to open for DVC members .
That's awesome!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #174
suedon70
Earning My Ears

So excited! Getting a huge group of friends together to do the Princess 5K in 2015! We're already planning who's gonna be which Disney character

Can't wait until July 15 to sign up!
suedon70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #175
FrenchSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm in.. I have been a walker for years. My mother and I used to attend monthly Volksmarches in the St. Louis when I was just out of high school. I have never been much of a runner though. About 4-5 years ago I developed plantar fasciitis so bad I gave up walking and gained a bunch of weight. Since then I have had 3 surgeries on my feet and been diagnosed with Diabetes. .
However this past year I decided that my feet were up to walking again. I started walking on my work breaks and some in the evening. I lost 25 lbs but hit a plateau. It was about then I heard about C25K and started dreaming of doing A 5K at Disney.
The wheels started to turn I made it through week one easily then found a local free group that were going to start the next week in prep for a local 5K in May. My DH was going to join me (but he ended up bailing on me) I still went to the group run redoing week one with the group was fun and I made some new friends. We are now on W6D1 (tomorrow) and I am keeping up. My feet still feel great and I have lost more inches and some weight. I signed up for the groups 5K and started planning for the Royal Family 5K in February 2015.
I found out there is a free 5K I can run on Castaway Cay. We already had a cruise booked for Nov but too late for the Wine and Dine. Soooo when DVC announced a discount on PAP I bought one as did DD19. We will spend a couple of days before the cruise in WDW then meet up with the boys, head to Vero Beach for 4 days and off to the cruise with the intent to sign up for the 5K as soon as we can.
With PAP I started to look at some more trips, then thought well if I plan them the weeks of the runs then I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Ok I will try out a number of the WDW 5K So trips planned for Feb, May?, Aug?, Oct and Nov 2015.
Then I started to read some of the trip reports from this years GSC and now I want to try the 10K and 1/2 marathon in Feb . I think I have DD talked into joining me for the 10K portion at least. We are booked at BLT in a studio. Now I am waiting for early registration to open for DVC members .
Are you planning on walking or running the 5k and maybe the 10k???
Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 AM   #176
Patsydust
Earning My Ears

Excited!

Yay! So glad to find this thread...took awhile. DisBoards should really make an entire RunDisney forum!

But my friend and I have decided were gonna try for the Disney Half 2015! Still in planning phase but it's looking good! Anyone have any advice? How much running does everyone do before hand? Do people tend to print out online running plans or just jog/run on their own to get in shape? I'm looking for success in fishing not aiming to be number 1! Thanks everyone!!

My Cruises: Disney Wonder 2001, Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011, Disney Fantasy 2014.
WDW: April 2001, February 2014.
Runs: Castaway 5k
Patsydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #177
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsydust View Post
Yay! So glad to find this thread...took awhile. DisBoards should really make an entire RunDisney forum!

But my friend and I have decided were gonna try for the Disney Half 2015! Still in planning phase but it's looking good! Anyone have any advice? How much running does everyone do before hand? Do people tend to print out online running plans or just jog/run on their own to get in shape? I'm looking for success in fishing not aiming to be number 1! Thanks everyone!!
Welcome...the RunDisney site has training plans/calendars by Jeff Galloway for each run event!

I used Jeff Galloways apps for ToT (5K, 10K and started half)...started last January running lasting until October for the race. For PHM I am working my way through each app again...
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #178
momabaarjo

Quote:
Welcome! So jealous of your Castaway Cay 5K and all of your Disney trips! We have a PTR started for PHM (see link in my signature) that you would fit in great with...lots of us are taking our DD to run too!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #179
momabaarjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSnowWhite View Post
10k of 2014.

Great job! I am not a runner either, in the true since of the word. I am a Galloway girl running & walking...I love it and it makes me successful. We all have to find what works for us...a Disney trip is such great motivation! A 10K is not too long...and if you start now the Half would not be too long either! You can do it...just ask and we can all help you get there!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #180
FrenchSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Thanks Momabaarjo

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: