Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #31
artemis4
Mouseketeer

There isn't much that Disney could do to get us to stay onsite. It comes down to value and travel style for us.

For a family of 6 (7 at Disney because we bring one kid friend), Disney's onsite accommodations are ludicrous. There is simply no way that I will pay that much for a the Disney rooms that accommodate 6 people. Table beds, sofa beds and sleeper chairs? Whatever. We are traveling with teenagers and preteens. Have you ever had two kids share a sofa bed for a week? I wouldn't ask an 8 year old and 12 year old to do it. We have done it with a 9 year old and 5 year old, but older than that it becomes a complaintfest. We could pay for two rooms, but they are still simply cheap hotel room quality and Disney won't guarantee adjoining rooms. Super fun vacation if my husband and I end up sleeping in different parts of the resort all week because Disney didn't give us adjoining rooms.

Wherever we travel, no matter where, we stay in 2-3 bedroom rent-by-the-week timeshare condos (we don't own) or homes. 1200-1800 sf, full kitchen, dining room, living room, in unit laundry facilities, patio(s). We have never paid more than $640 for seven nights ever at any destination, including the Outer Banks, Colorado, Williamsburg, or our last trip to Disney where we were at WBC with an Epcot fireworks view.

We road trip, so we always have a car. Disney transportation is not a perk for us. Free parking? Even adding in parking for 6 days in the park, that was less than $740 for our lodging + parking costs last time.

The offsite accommodations we get are so much better for amount of space and comfort than any Disney hotel resort, we can pack half the amount of luggage since we just wash clothes as the week goes on, and we all feel better when we don't eat out every meal for 7 days.

Artemis4, DH, DD16, DD14 DS11, and DS7.
Sept 2015: Offsite TBD
Sept 2012: WBC

Last edited by artemis4; 04-22-2014 at 02:03 PM.
artemis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #32
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

We've done both a number of times.

Cost is one factor. I have to finally admit, onsite prices are crazy. We recently stayed offsite (another city, but still) at a very nice Westin that was less per night than a room at a WDW value resort. The difference in quality was stunning.

Convenience is another. I like staying at the airport Hyatt is we have an early departure. We save half a day on the rental car, then just roll out of bed to be at the airport. Again the level of service was also stunning.

I know the values are supposed to be low endish, but it drives me nuts that the rooms don't have coffeemakers, and the pools don't provide towels. That's just annoying. WDW needs to wake up and realize that Hampton Inns give guests free coffee, free cookies and free breakfast. I don't expect WDW to go to that same level of freebies, but when deluxes are $600+ per night- WDW could spare a few $.10 bottles of water. It would be no big deal to hand guests a bottle of water on arrival. They've gone the other way - RFID time limits on refillable mugs. UGH! the nickel and diming is just annoying now.

I'd also like to see better quality food all over WDW. I want more veggies and fresh fruit. That's been a problem for along time. When you do find fruit at WDW it's cheap melon or mealy apples. It's nearly impossible to get blueberries! I mean we're talking FL- best place in the USA to grow fun healthy fruits and veggies year round. Why is there no booth/cart in all of WDW to find fun, exotic tropical fruits? The food quality at Pepper Market last visit was just disgusting. The nachos were just chips with melted Velveeta, and a sprinkle of dark meat chicken. There was no lettuce, tomato, chili, guacamole, onions - not event he option to add anything healthy! C'mon. Chipotle is WAY better! That's just one example of marginal food at WDW.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #33
BuzzandAriel'smom
DIS Veteran

Last trip (spring break this year) we split our stay. We stayed at AoA for 4 nights then Windsor hills for 3 nights. We really enjoyed AoA for the pools and the food courts and always having something to do but there are things that are irksome as well. Our mini fridge struggled to keep things cold. The room wasn't that clean. Waiting for towels since there are no pool towels.

The day we checked out I wondered if we would all be bummed that I decided to save money and switch to the house for the remainder of the trip. Once we got to the house, our fourth time at the same house, it felt like home. It was clean, spacious, quiet and convenient. To just walk out the front door to the car instead of trekking through the resort and parking lot is much better and faster. We rested more and it felt like a vacation instead of go go go.

To answer the question Disney needs to get back to higher standards with cleaning and service. The rooms are expensive and they need the service to reflect the price. Location isn't a reason to be onsite. Windsor hills is very close to drive. It's very hard to justify the price tag when the offsite options are so good.

I will continue to stay onsite sometimes but offsite has a lot more to offer in terms of value.

Check out my blog @ www.busymamma.wordpress.com
Many childhood trips including dancing for Magic Music Days! Disneymooned in 1999 Best family trip ever, split stay Pop/AKL, September 2006
Me and DH trip to Universal March 2007 Carribean Beach Resort August 2007 Trip with both Grandmas AKV and BWV!November 2008 Spring Break WH 2010 and 2012!
BuzzandAriel'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #34
dachsie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs View Post
Disney has priced its product far higher than what the actual market will bear, plain and simple.

Consider this:

For the first week of June, a standard, garden-view room at the Grand Floridian is $544 per night.

That week, you can get a balcony suite at the Waldorf Astoria for $314 per night, and that price includes the $25 resort fee.

The same week, a family suite at AOA is $383 per night. MORE THAN A SUITE AT THE FREAKING WALDORF ASTORIA!

We will be staying at the Homewood Suites just outside the gates. For $130 a night, we get a one-bedroom suite with a full-sized fridge, stove, dishwasher and stocked dishes/utensils. The hotel has interior corridors. There's a very nice pool with fountain and hot tub. We also get free, hot breakfast each morning--including everyone's favorite Mickey waffles.

For that price on property? We'd be staying in the All-Stars, which, frankly, are the equivalent of a Motel 6. Double beds instead of queens. Teeny-tiny rooms. Teeny-tiny fridge. No breakfast. No thank you.

Disney doesn't need to offer discounts--they need to revise their pricing structure to line up more closely with what's offered just outside the gates. I understand a slight upcharge for being on-site. But when a suite at a WDW value costs more that a suite at the Waldorf, I'm sorry, but the people at Disney have lost their collective minds.
I would massively positive rep this post if we were able to. I too think they have priced themselves out of the market. I stayed once on property and three times off. While I enjoyed the on property time, it was so much more economical to stay in a timeshare for less that $200 for an entire week. I am not saying that I wont ever stay on property again, but the timeshare option will always be looked at first.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #35
JeremyGNJ
none

I'll make this in 2 parts. First here's how I decide that staying on Disney is NOT worth it.

1. Transportation. I will not spend my vacation waiting for busses. I will rent a car, so I can move at my own speed. This rules out the "everything is easy" aspect, as well as Magical Express, since I'm going to get a car from the Airport anyway.

2. Since I will have to park, the initial thought is "the price difference for a comparable room is not that much once you factor in the extra $17/day for parking". But the kicker is....

3. Food. Once you commit to staying on property, you're eating Disney food for 9 out of 10 meals. Sure you *could* drive off-site to eat, but this doesn't make sense to do often. Maybe 1-2 dinners per trip, and it NEVER makes sense for breakfast or lunch.

When you stay off-site, you'll pass a dozen places to get breakfast or lunch while commuting from your hotel. No big deal to stop. If you stay on-site, but the time you go back to your hotel, it takes way too long to drive off-site to eat.

What could they do to sway me....? These are a bunch of MAYBE's

1. Accept some kind of points system. For example, let me use my Marriott points to trade up for Disney points to pay for hotel rooms. (even if at a lesser rate than i'd get for a Marriott stay)

2. Something special at the resort beyond a "cool pool" or "hidden mickeys". Maybe an character meet & greet like they have at Epcot for Disney Visa members. Maybe a small show that takes place a few times a day. Maybe even a RIDE.

3. Some kind of better transportation. I know it doesn't make much sense financially for them, but if they had a monorail or a light-rail at every resort i'd be MUCH more likely to stay there. (maybe even if I had to make stop from a small light-rail to a monorail hub)

4. Bigger rooms! if they took a value resort can gave me 2 rooms attached for 50%-75% more, I might actually be willing.
JeremyGNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #36
myadventurebook
Mouseketeer

When I used to go with my family, we tried on-site our first trip and hated it. It definitely seems like most of the on-site "haters" have really legitimate complaints. The stuff I'm reading is the same stuff my family and I experienced- long waits for buses, way too expensive, etc.

On the flip side, BF and I started staying onsite the last two trips and I don't know why we didn't start earlier! When it's just the two of us, it's extremely valuable to stay on-site. The reason we even started in the first place is because our usual hotel was MORE expensive than Pop!

As for families, though, I don't know why you would stay on-site. The suites seem like a rip-off IMO.

Last Trip: November 2013/Pop
Next Trip: May 2015/TBD (probably Pop)
myadventurebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #37
pixiemama91
Mouseketeer

My family has a timeshare and has had it for years. My Mom pays the yearly maintenance fees and whoever uses a week pays any transfer fees if not staying at the home resort. Lat year we transferred it to Orlando for $150 transfer fee. Can't beat $150 for a weeks stay in a 2 bedroom resort. It was only 10 min away from Disney and we had a great time. We enjoy staying onsite as well and do so just about every other time but having the additional space is definitely a plus and for the price it is hard to pass up.

August 2012-BC
May 2013-Offsite
pixiemama91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #38
staceyeileen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiemama91 View Post
My family has a timeshare and has had it for years. My Mom pays the yearly maintenance fees and whoever uses a week pays any transfer fees if not staying at the home resort. Lat year we transferred it to Orlando for $150 transfer fee. Can't beat $150 for a weeks stay in a 2 bedroom resort.
To be fair, the unit did not cost just $150. It cost $150 + the annual maintenance fees.
staceyeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #39
JeremyGNJ
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by myadventurebook View Post
When I used to go with my family, we tried on-site our first trip and hated it. It definitely seems like most of the on-site "haters" have really legitimate complaints. The stuff I'm reading is the same stuff my family and I experienced- long waits for buses, way too expensive, etc.

On the flip side, BF and I started staying onsite the last two trips and I don't know why we didn't start earlier! When it's just the two of us, it's extremely valuable to stay on-site. The reason we even started in the first place is because our usual hotel was MORE expensive than Pop!

As for families, though, I don't know why you would stay on-site. The suites seem like a rip-off IMO.
I can see this. If it was just my wife and I, I could handle a small room. With no kids, you can just come out of the tiny bathroom to dry off and get changed, etc.

But then again....if it was just my wife and I , you can bet your bottom that we'd be in the Caribbean and not Disney World!
JeremyGNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #40
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriABil View Post
This is for those who stay offsite, but feel free to post if you have an opinion!
  1. 1. Have you ever stayed onsite? If so, is there a reason you are now considering an offsite stay?
  2. 2. Short of discounts and free dining, what could Disney do to get you to stay on property?
1. We have stayed onsite before. We enjoy it, but have found equal enjoyment at Shades of Green (offsite). Shades costs 1/4 of the Disney Deluxe prices, it has bigger rooms than most Disney hotels, and it's right across the street from the Poly. Great price + great amenities + great location = can't be beat.

2. We stay on property when we can afford to do so in the resorts with bigger rooms (generally deluxe). Even with discounts, those rooms are really expensive, so that doesn't happen all that often. The only reason we're staying at Boardwalk this year is because it will just be DH and I (DD is staying with grandparents), and DH is running the W&D 1/2 marathon. We want to be walking distance to Epcot since the after party for the run goes until 4am.

Basically, as long as we are eligible to stay at Shades of Green, we will likely be staying there. It's more than worth it to not feel as cramped together as we did just visiting the room my brother's family stayed in at All Star Sports.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #41
OtherScott
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGNJ View Post
I can see this. If it was just my wife and I, I could handle a small room. With no kids, you can just come out of the tiny bathroom to dry off and get changed, etc. But then again....if it was just my wife and I , you can bet your bottom that we'd be in the Caribbean and not Disney World!
This.

"Well, imagine that, my seat cushion... Just what I need -- to float around the North Atlantic for several days -- clinging to a pillow full of beer farts... Same
OtherScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #42
sunshine1
Earning My Ears

I would love to be able to adford to stay on site.

Lower the prices and i would be there in a heartbeat.
sunshine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #43
Danadanes
Earning My Ears

I'm booked for an on site stay in June. Most recent 3 trips before that were offsite or a split (birthday splurge at the poly). The ONLY reason we booked on site was because at the time advance fp+ was only for on site. So, the only thing disney could do to make our future trips on site would be some fp+ advantages.
Danadanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #44
DisneyMountainWoman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGNJ View Post
I'll make this in 2 parts. First here's how I decide that staying on Disney is NOT worth it.

1. Transportation. I will not spend my vacation waiting for busses. I will rent a car, so I can move at my own speed. This rules out the "everything is easy" aspect, as well as Magical Express, since I'm going to get a car from the Airport anyway.

2. Since I will have to park, the initial thought is "the price difference for a comparable room is not that much once you factor in the extra $17/day for parking". But the kicker is....

3. Food. Once you commit to staying on property, you're eating Disney food for 9 out of 10 meals. Sure you *could* drive off-site to eat, but this doesn't make sense to do often. Maybe 1-2 dinners per trip, and it NEVER makes sense for breakfast or lunch.

When you stay off-site, you'll pass a dozen places to get breakfast or lunch while commuting from your hotel. No big deal to stop. If you stay on-site, but the time you go back to your hotel, it takes way too long to drive off-site to eat.

What could they do to sway me....? These are a bunch of MAYBE's

1. Accept some kind of points system. For example, let me use my Marriott points to trade up for Disney points to pay for hotel rooms. (even if at a lesser rate than i'd get for a Marriott stay)

2. Something special at the resort beyond a "cool pool" or "hidden mickeys". Maybe an character meet & greet like they have at Epcot for Disney Visa members. Maybe a small show that takes place a few times a day. Maybe even a RIDE.

3. Some kind of better transportation. I know it doesn't make much sense financially for them, but if they had a monorail or a light-rail at every resort i'd be MUCH more likely to stay there. (maybe even if I had to make stop from a small light-rail to a monorail hub)

4. Bigger rooms! if they took a value resort can gave me 2 rooms attached for 50%-75% more, I might actually be willing.
I would looove a point system, when we went in Nov, looked at all our options and mom saved enough points in Hilton that we could get our room for free using points. I would love them doing a point system. Or even like what cruises do we frequent cruises perks.

I think the values needs a coffee maker in them too. If Super 8 can afford it disney can too. Now the only reason we are staying in a Value this time, is because they finally put refrigerator in them that was a breaking point for us not having a fridge. I need a fridge.

I think the mods are priced about right and the values. It is the deluxes that are way over priced. I can get a hotel at the Four Seasons in Vail during ski season cheaper than the deluxe in Disney even during so called value season?! That does not seem right. I think the pricing for renting a timeshare in Disney is about the right price point for a deluxes. That is the price I am willing to pay for the deluxes. They really need to upgrade a lot of things if they want to justify their pricing at deluxes, bigger rooms, all rooms having mini kitchenettes, and better linen. Maybe include free breakfast like they do at embassy suites.

So mostly we will be staying at Hitlons near disney using points, but for short trips, now that they have added frigs the Pop is now okay to us. But once we have kids we will need more room than what Pop can offer us and the bigger rooms Disney does offer are just too expensive for what I can get at the Lake Buena Vista Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites or even the Hampton Inn. (Not to forgot the free breakfast I get that include mickey waffles!) Now if we can get a good deal renting points with DVC at any of the deluxes that is not Saratogo Springs or Old Key West (they are not worth their price), that would tempt us over too.
DisneyMountainWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #45
sretav
Earning My Ears

Without reading any of the posts, the question is an easy one ... Significantly cheaper and significantly larger rooms. That's the simple fact of the matter of it all.

We are a family of 6 so Disney accommodations are very limited for us to begin with. For $141 a night, we can book a very large, 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo offsite with a full kitchen, laundry, living and dining room. Can I even get a tiny All-star room for that price? Even if I could, they'd make us book 2 rooms because 6 is too many for one.
sretav is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: