Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #151
already
Earning My Ears

Our neighbors are ummm...wealthy (trust funds - grandpa worked with Rockefeller.) 99% of the time, you would never know it because they live simply amongst us middle classers. But this year, they did invite our 17 year old for an egg hunt. They were using the egg hunt as a prom invite for their 17 year old.

DS came home with a wad of cash as each of the plastic eggs were filled with $20.00 and $10.00 bills. (Why didn't they invite us, lol?)

Anyway, we did church and skipped baskets this year as everybody is getting too old. In the past, our baskets were always filled with video games, toys, and basically Christmas. I started scaling down when my oldest started making Easter basket lists
already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #152
elphaba91
Mouseketeer

We mainly did chocolate when we were kids, although we'd sometimes get an Easter-themed Beanie Kid and I think we got pyjamas a couple of times. For my first Easter I know we got rubber ducks because I was too little for chocolate and my sister had gone off chocolate at the time after being sick for a bit. Over recent years we've got Easter-themed Pandora charms, but this year we got US dollars instead to buy a charm when we're in the States later this year.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #153
sunkissed4
Mouseketeer

I've seen a lot of posts on facebook of people complaining about this same thing and I'm not sure why anyone really cares what someone buys or doesn't buy for their children.

My kids got the standard basket with candy, pool toys, a board game, some clothes, and a few toys. I don't think it was overboard, but if someone does I'm not sure why they should even waste their time starting a thread about it.

AP holders who can't get enough Disney!
sunkissed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #154
FLSarah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
Santa has a fast pass through my chimney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by already View Post
I started scaling down when my oldest started making Easter basket lists
We always do an egg hunt where the eggs have small items, candy, or coins. This is the first year my son hasn't believed in the Easter bunny, so he gave me a knowing look and said, "I sure hope the Easter bunny puts money in the eggs again this year. Wouldn't money be really nice to get mom?" I think he was trying to hint at something
FLSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #155
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineann View Post
Just an FYI regarding the comment about Christians and Seder dinner....I am Episcopalian, and we have had Seder dinners at our church with attendance and instruction by a rabbi. Rabbis have also been guest speakers at Sunday school classes. It's all about learning, and I do believe God is okay with that

We were out of our church for a year due to earthquake damage, and we held a Christmas Lessons and Carols service and our Easter services at a local synagogue (we have a close relationship with them, and they offered)
I have been a member of my church for 20 years- very active for the past 10 or so- and just found out that our church also has a Seder dinner every year. Who knew?! They teach the Christian significance of this meal. I am Presbyterian by the way. I would love to go next year. I really like learning about other religions, and I believe that I can remain strong in my relationship with Jesus and still be knowledgable about other faiths. Imagine that?!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #156
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I did see a lot of pictures on Facebook of kids, mostly infants, sitting on a couch surrounded by all of the gifts they had gotten for Easter. We choose to go another route. We go big for his birthday and Christmas, but that's about it.

He has a nice basket I got before his first Easter that he will keep using until it can't be used anymore. I had never heard of getting a new basket every year until just now. I don't like to let him eat a lot of candy, so I don't buy him a lot because then I'll just end up eating it myself. This year, all I bought was a bag of fun size M&M's to put in some plastic eggs for his egg hunt and the rest of the packs went in the basket. And I got him a 6 pack of mini chocolate bunnies. I'm glad I didn't go crazy on candy because my parents got him a big chocolate bunny and a chocolate cross.

The rest of the stuff I put in his basket was really cheap. I scoured the dollar bins at Target and got a lot of things for $1 or $3...some water guns, a bubble gun, and a couple other water toys. And I found some little jigsaw puzzles in tins at Wal-Mart for $1.50 and got him 3 of those. The only things I spent a bit of money on was Frozen and Jungle Book on Blu-Ray, but I got them for $13 each on sale at Target, and would have gotten them anyway at that price!

In the past he has gotten a new swimsuit & towel and some beach toys, a small backpack, other movies, etc. I saw some kids getting a whole new wardrobe and as many toys as DS would on Christmas morning!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #157
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I have not seen anything outside of what we do - a bunny, some small candies and that is it. No movies, etc. Bunny hides eggs and brings chocolate. That is all!
Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #158
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Gsandme View Post

There are people who celebrate Hanukkah in a secular manner. Just a lot less of them.
There sure are. I'm one of them. We buy foil-wrapped chocolate coins, make potato pancakes, and display a dreidel. (Sp). Just a fun thing to do. We skipped it last year because it coincided with Thamksgiving.

Easter was always just chocolate bunnys, peeps, malted eggs, and jelly beans for us. We never gave out any kinds of gifts.

Jim
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #159
EMode
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
So, those who are not Christian and celebrate these holidays are Pagan?

I also wonder why this happens only Christmas and Easter. I don't see secular celebrations of Hanuka, Rosh Hashsanah or Ramadam. They could also be good time to reunite with family and celebrate, but I don't see anyone outside of those religions doing it.

Why is that?
Emperor Constantine

I was rasied Catholic so in our house we celebrated The Resurrection and the Easter Bunny. My children are not being raised Catholic so I still follow the same traditions, big meal, visiting family but we celebrate the Easter Bunny. He brings candy, Itunes cards and Microsoft points!
EMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #160
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybound2010 View Post
Actually, the eggs and bunnies can be considered religious symbols. I know you said you get it with the Pagan history, HOWEVER, I'm still throwing it in since you asked about the eggs and bunnies. The name Easter is derived from the Pagan fertility goddess, Ishtar. Eggs and bunnies were considered symbols of fertility and fruitfulness and were celebrated in the spring in honor of Ishtar(Easter) So, when people say the holiday isn't about the Easter bunny, well, technically it originally was the reason for the season!

In our family, we are trying to teach DS about the different views and religions of all cultures and to be open to all of it. Every religion has taken traditions from other religions and no religion is the end all be all or has all the answers.

Now, I am going to go raid my son's overly indulged basket and look for some Cadbury eggs...and Reese eggs...and jellybeans...mmmmm
While that myth and meme are going around right now, it's most likely not actually accurate. Rather, as others have pointed out, Easter (a word used only in English and Germanic languages) most likely derives its name from the Germanic pagan goddess Eostre.

Easter in Greek and Latin (as well as the other romantic languages) is Pascha, Pasqua, etc. which derives from the Hebraic word Pesach, which means Passover (which was, after all, the Jewish holiday that was being celebrated by Christ and his disciples when he was crucified and is also where the terms Paschal candle, Pascal sacrifice, etc. originate). Likewise, the timing of Easter is linked to Passover, for obvious reasons (although the differences between the Gregorian and Jewish calendars sometimes has them fall out of synch). The appropriation and melding of Pascha into a Pagan holiday helped ease Christianity into these cultures, but "Easter" almost certainly did not derive its name from a Babylonian goddess but rather from one who was much more local.

Also, contrary to what is going around in the meme, the symbols of Ishtar (who was in fact the goddess of sacred sex) were the lion, a gate and an eight pointed star, not bunnies and eggs.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #161
dyna
DIS Veteran

I've notice Easter being like Christmas for more than 20 yrs.

Not at my house tho mine even had to make the choice between candy an a small item they wanted not both.

We used the same baskets from year to year now my Gkids are using them.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #162
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
DD got a basket this year but all it had in it were empty plastic eggs. I don't plan on making Easter a big deal in terms of presents because I want my kids to understand the significance of the day.
What do empty plastic eggs have to do with the significance of the day?

I am truly trying to understand this. It would seem you should not have any bright colored plastic eggs if you were trying to get across the meaning of the day.

Plus am I the only one who thinks it slightly mean to give an easter basket that is full of nothing?
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #163
ellone
DIS Veteran

We try not to buy the kids too much candy. They got 3 organic peanut butter cups each, 2 packages of stickers and a couple of books. So some gifts but not over the top. Spent $15 for each kid.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #164
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodisneyfan View Post
What do empty plastic eggs have to do with the significance of the day? I am truly trying to understand this. It would seem you should not have any bright colored plastic eggs if you were trying to get across the meaning of the day. Plus am I the only one who thinks it slightly mean to give an easter basket that is full of nothing?
No, I asked this pages ago and never got a response. I too, am trying to figure this out. And I agree, it seems down right cruel to put empty plastic eggs in a basket. It would be nicer to do nothing at all.

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH), Oct. '14 (DLH), Nov. '14 (GCH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12
DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #165
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...
I love any activity that requires a helmet

My 4-year-old spins out of control with too much sugar, so I put a small amount of candy in her basket along with some toy bunnies & chicks, a DVD and a kite. She was way more thrilled about the toys than the candy anyway.

When I took her to see the Easter Bunny a few weeks ago, the girl in front of us in line actually had a list (like what you'd make for Santa). I've never seen that before!
Ride Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: