Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Tiffany507s
Mouseketeer

On site/Off site Dilemma

Hey everyone!

Right off the bat: I know that the question/scenario I am discussing will come with widely varying opinions and everyone is different, etc etc but I really just want to hear all opinions and just get some feedback.

Background: DH and I have been to WDW 7+ times all on site always value accommodations always been in the "Disney Bubble"

DH and I have been very blessed this summer to be able to spend a month in the Orlando area...this is basically a Disney vacation with sprinkles of Universal/SeaWorld/Shopping/Beaches/Other Orlando Activities. Now my original plan was to stay two weeks on site and two weeks off site, which came out to around $3,000 (accommodations only). However, I just found this amazing 1bed1bath condo that the owner will rent to us for $1,500 for the entire month.

I LOVE staying onsite as lackluster as values may really be if you are being unbiased..but I also LOVE the idea of saving $1,500...sooo much can be done with that money to make this trip AMAZING. But I am having trouble shaking the desire to stay in the bubble (is that the brainwashing?)...I just need to get this out there with people that will understand where I am coming from and gather some opinions.

FYI..we will have a car whenever we are offsite if that comes up in your mind.

Sorry it's so long...I can never be short with this stuff it seems!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany507s View Post
Hey everyone!

Right off the bat: I know that the question/scenario I am discussing will come with widely varying opinions and everyone is different, etc etc but I really just want to hear all opinions and just get some feedback.

Background: DH and I have been to WDW 7+ times all on site always value accommodations always been in the "Disney Bubble"

DH and I have been very blessed this summer to be able to spend a month in the Orlando area...this is basically a Disney vacation with sprinkles of Universal/SeaWorld/Shopping/Beaches/Other Orlando Activities. Now my original plan was to stay two weeks on site and two weeks off site, which came out to around $3,000 (accommodations only). However, I just found this amazing 1bed1bath condo that the owner will rent to us for $1,500 for the entire month.

I LOVE staying onsite as lackluster as values may really be if you are being unbiased..but I also LOVE the idea of saving $1,500...sooo much can be done with that money to make this trip AMAZING. But I am having trouble shaking the desire to stay in the bubble (is that the brainwashing?)...I just need to get this out there with people that will understand where I am coming from and gather some opinions.

FYI..we will have a car whenever we are offsite if that comes up in your mind.

Sorry it's so long...I can never be short with this stuff it seems!
I would stay off-site for the entire month.. that's an incredible price! What about booking your last full week on-site? That way you're saving money and still getting to experience the Disney bubble.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
pixiemama91
Mouseketeer

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. We have done it both ways as we own a timeshare. Staying in the timeshare is definitely cheaper and we get a full kitchen, laundry as well as more space to spread out which is nice after a long day in the park. You can keep costs down because you can cook some of your meals and pack less because you can do laundry. However you are not in the "bubble" and need to pay for parking each day (unless you have AP's) and you have to drive on vacation. Since I am the one to always do the driving this is not my favorite thing.

August 2012-BC
May 2013-Offsite
pixiemama91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
TwoAtDisney
Julie

After 1 week, we get tired of "hotel life" - uncomfortable furniture/reclining on bed most of the time, tv channels not much, cramped space, no laundry facilities that are free/clean, poor wifi, etc. We also get tired of eating out for every meal - a month would be miserable. All of the villa conveniences would be wonderful.

So, I would vote for the offsite villa.

Also, what's the thrill of staying in a value since you will not need to use the transportation - maybe the crowds, screaming kids, cramped room, bad tv? Don't know how close your villa is, but when we stay offsite, we don't find it any trouble to drive to DTD, parks, etc. In fact, we enjoy the independence so much that we even drive everywhere when staying onsite. Now we only stay onsite if we want free dining & we are gradually drifting away from even that.

Offsite, you can still drive & eat at Disney & still enjoy the parks & DTD & even ride the transportation if you want - bus, monorail, boats. You can still sit by Disney waterways & enjoy the scenery. Save the money for the next trip!
TwoAtDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

With that deal I would stay off except maybe two nights at poly or something...just because
Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

offsite sounds amazing and the room will be much nicer. I only stay onsite because I drive a lot with my job and it is worth a lot to just park my car. For a whole month though I would choose nicest and cheapest.

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Tiffany507s
Mouseketeer

You guys are awesome! I pulled the trigger and went with the condo for the month.

Lisa-I like your thinking...I need to look up some rates for a deluxe for a day or two!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: