Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #91
goofymoma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridaLove View Post
JoWiJo - Holy crap I LOVE your ideas!!! I need you to get to Disney and apply to imagineering NOW!!!
I second that !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
retheme Mama Melrose's to Swedish Chef's.
LOOOOVE that idea!! I grew up watching the muppets and the Swedish chef was one of my fav's!

goofymoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #92
db57me
Mouseketeer

Changes at WDI focus on Star Wars franchise. Could this mean additional SW attractions finally coming to the Disney parks?
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt-d...dio-at-wdi.htm
db57me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #93
luisov
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by db57me View Post
Changes at WDI focus on Star Wars franchise. Could this mean additional SW attractions finally coming to the Disney parks?
Most likely. This probably indicates that DHS's next big project is Star Wars related, otherwise I don't see a good reason to designate more resources towards the SW franchise within the WDI department.

I have to admit that personally, I would've favored a Carsland or Pixarland over Star Wars land, but hey, new attractions are new attractions regardless of their theme. We'll have to wait and see what happens next.
luisov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #94
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisov View Post
Most likely. This probably indicates that DHS's next big project is Star Wars related, otherwise I don't see a good reason to designate more resources towards the SW franchise within the WDI department. I have to admit that personally, I would've favored a Carsland or Pixarland over Star Wars land, but hey, new attractions are new attractions regardless of their theme. We'll have to wait and see what happens next.
I think Star Wars has a much larger fan base over cars thats why they would rather go with that. Star Wars has that staying power and a different age group in which it attracts.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #95
luisov
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I think Star Wars has a much larger fan base over cars thats why they would rather go with that. Star Wars has that staying power and a different age group in which it attracts.
I don't know. It sounds like a quite risky move to me. Sure, SW does have a very big fanbase, but I feel like even so, it's been a very long time since SW peaked popularity-wise, and at this point I feel like the new Star Wars movies have the potential to be either big hits or big flops. So in a way, creating a Star Wars themed area after all this time seems like a risky movement by Disney. From a marketing standpoint, if the new films are not comercially successful, the new generations probably won't have any idea of what SW is.

On the other hand, it's true that most people are going to visit a new land regardless of its theme if it has good attractions. And things point to be positive anyways. SW is an inminent part of our popular culture, and as of right now, I don't see any reasons for the new SW movies to flop.

I just think that a Pixarland sort of thing would have lots of potential to develop exciting and varied family rides (see TSMM, It's tough to be a bug, Ratatouille ride, etc.)
Old 04-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #96
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisov View Post
I don't know. It sounds like a quite risky move to me. Sure, SW does have a very big fanbase, but I feel like even so, it's been a very long time since SW peaked popularity-wise, and at this point I feel like the new Star Wars movies have the potential to be either big hits or big flops. So in a way, creating a Star Wars themed area after all this time seems like a risky movement by Disney. From a marketing standpoint, if the new films are not comercially successful, the new generations probably won't have any idea of what SW is. On the other hand, it's true that most people are going to visit a new land regardless of its theme if it has good attractions. And things point to be positive anyways. SW is an inminent part of our popular culture, and as of right now, I don't see any reasons for the new SW movies to flop. I just think that a Pixarland sort of thing would have lots of potential to develop exciting and varied family rides (see TSMM, It's tough to be a bug, Ratatouille ride, etc.)
Now I have a question for you how long will Harry potter stay popular? Those movies and books are done. Star Wars is making new movies and I think thats why they haven't announced anything with Star Wars yet because those movies aren't finished in the planning stage yet. I believe Star Wars has an equal or larger fan base than HP. Star tours still gets a good amount of people going to it and Star Wars weekends are extremely popular.

I would love to see a pixar land or Carsland. I think a pixar land would be better than Carsland because an overall Pixar land could mean they could keep adding to it. Cars has two movies and they are coming out with a third but how long will that have staying power.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #97
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Star Wars is still ongoing. Movies like Lego Star Wars and shows like The Clone Wars are HUGE with the kids.

It's kind of funny - the kids all love Anakin Skywalker, and I think most of them have no idea who he grows up to be.

Anything Star Wars will be enormous. I work for a company that is very "kid centered", and I'd say that Star Wars has a bigger fan base among kids than almost anything else. Disney princesses MAY be bigger, but not by much, and obviously not among the boys.

So, between the adult fans who grew with the movies to the kids who love the TV shows, anything Star Wars will be the single largest thing Disney could ever do.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #98
luisov
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Now I have a question for you how long will Harry potter stay popular? Those movies and books are done. Star Wars is making new movies and I think thats why they haven't announced anything with Star Wars yet because those movies aren't finished in the planning stage yet. I believe Star Wars has an equal or larger fan base than HP. Star tours still gets a good amount of people going to it and Star Wars weekends are extremely popular.

I would love to see a pixar land or Carsland. I think a pixar land would be better than Carsland because an overall Pixar land could mean they could keep adding to it. Cars has two movies and they are coming out with a third but how long will that have staying power.
That's true, although Harry Potter is more fresh than SW at the moment, WWoHP was also a risk taken by Universal that resulted in big profits and a big number of new guests. They also plan to continue the franchise with a new trilogy of movies, that even without the main characters, will be themed around the HP world. So yeah, I foresee a bright future for WWoHP.

As I said, people will visit a Star Wars land regardless of its theme, but from a marketing standpoint, the interest of the new generations towards SW depends on how successful the new movies are. 10 years ago you would see kids playing with lightsabers. Now they are more interested in the Avengers and super heroes and such.

I'm sure they'll make it work though. There's no reason for it not to be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Star Wars is still ongoing. Movies like Lego Star Wars and shows like The Clone Wars are HUGE with the kids.

It's kind of funny - the kids all love Anakin Skywalker, and I think most of them have no idea who he grows up to be.

Anything Star Wars will be enormous. I work for a company that is very "kid centered", and I'd say that Star Wars has a bigger fan base among kids than almost anything else. Disney princesses MAY be bigger, but not by much, and obviously not among the boys.

So, between the adult fans who grew with the movies to the kids who love the TV shows, anything Star Wars will be the single largest thing Disney could ever do.
I haven't really followed the recent productions based on the SW world, but I'm glad to hear it's still present among the children
Old 04-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #99
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
Star Wars is still ongoing. Movies like Lego Star Wars and shows like The Clone Wars are HUGE with the kids. It's kind of funny - the kids all love Anakin Skywalker, and I think most of them have no idea who he grows up to be. Anything Star Wars will be enormous. I work for a company that is very "kid centered", and I'd say that Star Wars has a bigger fan base among kids than almost anything else. Disney princesses MAY be bigger, but not by much, and obviously not among the boys. So, between the adult fans who grew with the movies to the kids who love the TV shows, anything Star Wars will be the single largest thing Disney could ever do.
I agree I don't think Star Wars is not as popular today. I think with the new movies even people that weren't fans before or haven't seen the movies will go back and watch the old ones to catch up and see what it's all about. There are a ton of Star Wars video games out there and like you said the Lego Star Wars is very popular. I'm just interested to see of HP lasts.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #100
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion

I suppose the success of Episodes VIII and IX could potentially hinge on how well Episode VII is embraced by people AFTER they see it, but I think that Epi VII is the closest thing to a guaranteed success anyone could ever hope for. As soon as the date for the trailer is released, people will buy tickets to whatever movie is playing it, regardless of what it is. The TRAILER! With JJ Abrams directing there is no way it won't be a massive success.

I know I am not the only person who has December 18, 2015 blocked off on my calendar.

Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #101
redpeacoat
Earning My Ears

Star Wars is huge with kids. Always the first books to fly off the shelves at the library. My son has been to more Star Wars birthday parties than any other. Lego Star Wars are the toy of choice for many little boys (and girls!) I think it is a very safe bet that this generation of preschoolers would be very psyched to see a Star Wars land! Just look at Jedi training at HS...booked in less than an hour!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #102
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do you really trust the blogey?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #103
db57me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Do you really trust the blogey?
This news, regarding several changes at WDI, has been reported on various news and blog sites.
db57me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #104
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This news, regarding several changes at WDI, has been reported on various news and blog sites.
The changes perhaps...but not the intent, plans, or goals

TTS
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #105
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
The changes perhaps...but not the intent, plans, or goals

TTS
Yea cause he was placed in this new spot not to do anything. Once again like on the Epcot threat, eventually Star Wars land is going to happen. It might not be as huge as people think but one day it is going to come. Disney will not pass up the chance
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: