DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Bflo Dave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRob View Post
If you bought passes, then yes, TIW will probably be worth it. There are some quick service restaurants that take it as well. We wouldn't have used it on our upcoming eight day trip, but once we added five more days next April, the math worked in our favor. I have Mouseperks.com saved on my phone. Quick listing that will show which discounts will give you the best value at every restaurant. Helpful since we'll have our DVC Discount, Disney Rewards Visa Discount, and TIW on top of all of it.
Well thank you for your input and the heads up on the mouseperks.com I will have to check it out, and thank you to everyone else who has contributed to my question!
Bflo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
Bflo Dave
Mouseketeer

One other question, is there anyone who still thinks that the dining plan is an option when you can get these discounts?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #18
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflo Dave View Post
One other question, is there anyone who still thinks that the dining plan is an option when you can get these discounts?
Yes, sometimes! I compare our OOP w TIW + Tax + 18% tip to DDP + 18% tip on full priced meal.

For our upcoming trip, I will save about $32 using DxDDP over TIW, on just meals alone. That means the mugs and snacks are free.

It works if you have expensive character breakfasts and signature or non-buffet TS, and you typically order the more expensive items on the menu. If we drink or order extras, then I can use our TIW on that portion of the bill. It also helps if you have a full first day and a full last day to use the dining credits.

The regular plan is usually a loss and QS plan is only breakeven, but I consider it worth it for less hassle.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
boxer
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Does anyone have a list of places that offer the AP or DVC discounts?? I had planned on buying a TIW card for our next trip, but never even thought of using the AP/DVC discount for the 10-15%.

I just want to be sure enough places offer those discounts, so I don't have to buy the TIW

boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #20
Bflo Dave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
Does anyone have a list of places that offer the AP or DVC discounts?? I had planned on buying a TIW card for our next trip, but never even thought of using the AP/DVC discount for the 10-15%. I just want to be sure enough places offer those discounts, so I don't have to buy the TIW
The mouseperks.com website that was quoted earlier, was a good site that showed who accepts what.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #21
Nanajo1
DIS Veteran

As PPs said mouse perks.com has a great breakdown of discounts,also all ears has discounts on the menu page.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Offsite 5/78,CR 11/85,BWV 3/99,OKW 11/99, BWV 3/01,OKW 11/01, BWV 3/02, BWV 1/03, OKW 11/03, BWV 2/04, BWV 11/04, BWV 2/05, OKW 11/05, BWV 2/06, AKL 11/06, BWV 11/06, BWV 02/07,OKW 11/07, BWV 02/08, BWV 11/08, BWV 02/09, BWV 11/09,VWL 01/10,OKW 02/10,BWV 11/10, AKV 11/10,BLT 03/11,OKW 03/11,BWV 11/11,AKL 02/12,BWV 03/12, BWV 11/12,OKW 02/13,AKL 03/13, BWV 11/13,OKW 11/13, OKW 02/14,AKLK 03/14, OKW 10/14,BWV 10/14
[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/1l5laeked1k6rb
Nanajo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflo Dave View Post
The problem I have with the dining plans is that you basically need to talk yourself into dining at the MOST EXPENSIVE restaurants and eating the MOST EXPENSIVE entrees in order to justify the cost. And you need to factor in the dessert with every meal. (If not for the dining plan, who in the world eats 2 desserts every day of their life?!?!)

If you're spending $60 (!!!) per person, per night for the dining plan, you simply cannot use one of your Table Service meal credits toward a $12 traditional breakfast platter at Olivia's or Kouzzina. If you do that, by the time you add-in the $5 snack and $15 counter service meal, you've spent $60 to consume less than $40 worth of food.

Instead you are pretty much obligated to use your credits toward things like the $40 3-course Prix Fixe menu (with Creme Brûlée) at Chefs de France or the $35 steak at Whispering Canyon.

There was a time when the DDP was priced such that you could still use table service credits for cheaper items or meals like breakfast, or skip the desserts, and still come out ahead. But rarely is that the case anymore.

These days Disney Obesity Plan might be a better name.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #23
JWG
DIS Veteran

The # of discounts have expanded quite significantly as of late. We just made 4 reservations for an upcoming trip and 3 of the 4 have a 10-15% DVC discount. The 4th ('Ohana) does not.

That diminishes the value of the TIW card for sure. Unless you want to take advantage of the special events or eat at Disney a lot, it's hard to justify any of the "special" programs.

I agree with the above. The DDP is great for convenience ant that's about it. Unless you eat a lot and are a foodie.

The 18% gratuity added to TIW purchases is a detractor if you do any of the buffets. I'm not cheap by any means, but I really can't justify an 18% tip on a buffet.

JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
The 18% gratuity added to TIW purchases is a detractor if you do any of the buffets. I'm not cheap by any means, but I really can't justify an 18% tip on a buffet.
I often feel the opposite. Why would you tip more at a TS than a buffet? It's not like the waiter is cooking the food. They order and bring it to your table. That's only part of their job. They also take plates away, bring drinks, anything else you might need. If anything, we use more plates at a buffet

And what about the AYCTE family style dining like Ohana's? Is that considered a buffet with regards to tipping?

TIW still comes out better w the 18% tip on buffets. A $100 bill becomes $80. Add in 18% tip and 6.5% tax is $19.60. Total bill ($99.60) is still less than the original, though the breakeven would take a lot more meals. It's really meant for locals and AP holders who dine frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
(If not for the dining plan, who in the world eats 2 desserts every day of their life?!?!)
Me, me, me! But only on a Disney vacation where I know I'll walk off the extra calories.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #25
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalajms View Post
I often feel the opposite. Why would you tip more at a TS than a buffet? It's not like the waiter is cooking the food. They order and bring it to your table. That's only part of their job. They also take plates away, bring drinks, anything else you might need. If anything, we use more plates at a buffet
Miss Manners would agree with you:

"Miss Manners would dearly love to help you save a buck, but...tip [buffet wait staff] as you would the help in an ordinary restaurant.

If it is so much work for you to fill your dinner plate yourself, why do you go back and do it so often? Miss Manners saw you."

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #26
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalajms View Post
Me, me, me! But only on a Disney vacation where I know I'll walk off the extra calories.
That's a common sentiment (even my wife has used it) but it's probably not true--particularly for DDP buyers eating those desserts and snacks.

If you walked an aggressive 12 miles per day at 3 mph (which represents 4 total hours of nothing but walking at a moderate pace), you'd only burn about 1200 calories.

To compare, 4 hours of office work burns about 400-600 calories. An individual with a desk job isn't burning calories at a markedly higher rate on their vacation strolls through the Disney parks. Those who are on their feet all day for work (healthcare workers, waiter/waitress, retail, etc) may not burn any added calories in the parks.

Unless your diet already consists of 1/3 lb bacon cheeseburgers, frequent buffet visits and other entrees in Disney-sized portions, the walking probably isn't enough to compensate for the added caloric intake.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #27
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

I see Mama Melrose on the list of TIW discounts…does anyone know if this includes the F! dining package?
1989 Off Site-2003 Contemporary Resort-2006 Old Key West-2008 Caribbean Beach Resort-2010 Contemporary Resort-2012 Disney Cruise Line Magic-2013 Contemporary Resort-2013 Beach Club -2014 POP Century with Dance the World

buzzrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #28
Dasha Hermosilla
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzrelly View Post
I see Mama Melrose on the list of TIW discounts…does anyone know if this includes the F! dining package?
I don't think it does.
Dasha Hermosilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #29
SuperRob
DVC Members Since 2011 (SSR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
Miss Manners saw you.
You'd think Miss Manners would have a thing against liars.

|
SuperRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #30
SuperRob
DVC Members Since 2011 (SSR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzrelly View Post
The Tables in Wonderland site says that it's not valid for the Fantasmic! Dining Package.

|
SuperRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: