Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
diswix
Where dreams come true

California Newbees

We are looking at booking the flights today to Los Angeles for the end of August. We know Orlando inside out but are totally in the dark about the logistics in LA. Can anyone spend a little time advising us.
We love to go to the theme parks, eat out in cheap buffet restaurants, go to walmart, TJ mcs, relax by the pool, go for a stroll at night- nothing too expensive.
We have 20 nights and have thought about staying in Annahiem for 7-10 days in a hotel such as Super 8.
Where could we go after for a little R and R for the rest of the stay? We will hire a car. Is San franscico a long way away to drive?
2006 DLP Holiday Inn.
2005 WDW ALL S MOVIES
2005 DLP Chanteloup En Brie
2007 WDW ALL S SPORTS
2007 DLP Explorers
2008 WDW Quality Inn Int I-Drive
2008 DEC DLP Sequoia Lodge
2009 WDW Enclave Suites
2011 WDW Enclave Suites
2012 Dec DLP Sequoia lodge
2013 WDW Enclave Suites
2014 DC TBA
diswix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Ryan120420
Mouseketeer

San Fransisco is a 6 hour drive from LA.

Since you like theme parks, there are several within a 2 hours drive from Disneyland:

Knotts Berry Farm- 10mins

Universal Studios Hollywood- 60min

Six Flags Magic Mountain- 90min

SeaWorld San Diego- 90mins

https://www.knotts.com/

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain

http://seaworld.com/
Ryan120420 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

You could also look into the Citipass and the GoSanDiego card for ideas on activities.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
CalDisneyMomof2
Mouseketeer

Are you traveling with children? Las Vegas is a 4 hour drive and there's lots to do there too. We make that trip often - on the way to Las Vegas is an outlet mall in Barstow. Las Vegas is geared towards adults but there's lots to do for kids too. TONS of buffets, shows and fun things to do. Circus Circus is fun for kids (and adults). I think the 4 hour drive is worth it if you have that many days.
CalDisneyMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

San Fran is a bit of a drive North (6+ hours or so). I would stick with setting up in Anaheim for several days and taking your time with Anaheim and Disneyland. I would highly suggest San Diego and if you could spring it (gonna take some bucks) going to the Hotel Del Coronado. You could hit Sea World and San Diego Zoo down there if you wanted as well. Like someone else stated you could do the SoCal City Pass. Make sure you take some days to relax on the beach and soak in the gorgeous blue pacific.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
TravelingCoopers
Earning My Ears

I would highly recommend going to San Diego and the zoo. The beach quality there is also much better than in or around LA (mainly because of all the tourist in LA and population). Also, it might be a bit hard to get to the stores you like in LA itself. You are better off finding walmarts in the Anaheim and San Diego areas. they exist in LA but with traffic, parking and stuff it's better to go while you are in other cities.

I don't know of any hotels off the top of my head but I'm sure just a simple search will yield a lot of results. There are quite a lot of good budget hotels in these areas but obviously, the closer you are to the beach or attractions like Disneyland, the more expensive.

I hope you like LA and SoCal in general. Contrary to what others have said above, San Francisco is worth the 6 hour drive (make sure to bring something warm though!). It's a really unique city.
TravelingCoopers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: