Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #16
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I know folding chairs aren't allowed, but the seat on the Flipstick isn't as obvious as it is on folding-chair canes with full-size seats. When it's folded up, it kind of looks like just a fancy ergonomic handle. I doubt anyone would even notice it when it wasn't being used. And I don't think it even violates the spirit of the rule, either, since it can't even sit there and take up space when the user isn't there using it.

I'm not sure it would be any easier or faster to get up and down from it in a stalled queue than it would be to get up and down out of a wheelchair, but it's worth a try if you prefer it.

Personally, I've never once been in a queue at a Disney park where I was called upon to stand still for more than a few minutes, and I've been there during peak times. I have a hard time imagining the circumstances. But I'll take the word of those who say they have.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #17
BrownEyedGrl
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately due to other circumstances I had to cancel the trip I will certainly keep this in mind for next time!
BrownEyedGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGrl View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately due to other circumstances I had to cancel the trip I will certainly keep this in mind for next time!
Sorry the trip is not working out this time.
I'm adding dome information for next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Are FlipSticks even allowed? There have been several debates on these boards about the canes with seats being prohibited, and the FlipStick looks like it falls within that realm.
The canes with seats are allowed, as long as they can be/are being used as a cane. If they are, they fit into being a mobility device/aid. The FlipStick looks like a very nice one.
The ones that are not allowed are folding chairs or things that take time or set up to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earstou View Post
OP, look into touring plans. By following the plans, you can often have shorter wait times.
Agree with this.
wwww.touringplans.com or www.easywdw.com are the ones usually recommended.
Even if you don't exactly follow a touring plan, just knowing which park is likely to be least busy is very helpful.

There are attractions where guests have to stand for a time period. They are mostly the preshow part of attractions or attraction that load in 'batches'.
There are no seats for them and a DAS or using Fastpass won't affect the standing - it is part of the attraction. The only way to avoid standing for these would be using some kind of mobility device or aid.
Here's a link to post 22 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which has more information.
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=22

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
. . . Since we don't require them we don't want to rent them . . .

1) I doubt you can get a DAS.
2) You do not have a mobility issue that qualifies.
3) You can easily solve your mobility issue(s) by renting a wheelchair or ECV.
4) It is your preference to not rent a mobility device.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Even if the wheelchair has the potential to cause issues as well for the both of us? I'm sorry if I'm being a pain! I promise I'm not trying to!! I just want to understand this as best as I can before I potentially go there.
You're not required to sit in the wheelchair the entire time - you can sit when you need to and stand when you need to.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
I can do both, it's the prolonged amount of time doing either that effect me. I know how my situation comes off and it sounds fishy. Without the DAS I will have to be stuck either sitting or standing in a line for however long. In the past I have tried to get a wheelchair since I didn't really want a GAC. From prior experiences I've learned people aren't too kind if you are sitting on line in a wheelchair and then get up and walk part of the way. The DAS will allow less "forced" time standing or sitting. By using the DAS while waiting for my return time I will either be able to walk around or should I need sit for a bit on a bench. I am not "forced" to do either activity.
I know what you mean about unkind people, but what can you do? My suggestion would be rent one wheelchair (don't worry there are plenty) and take turns riding, pushing and leaning. And enjoy yourselves.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: