Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #1231
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
You may be interested in http://www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com/

We have this booked for August so I can't give you a personal review yet, but the reviews that I have read have all been really good. This is a very inexpensive way to tour Ketchikan without all the walking.
Most things in Ketchikan are very walk-able no need for a taxi, as a good and funny alternative, the duck tour is fun and goes further as it goes into the sea channel.

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #1232
bridgetmck
Mouseketeer

Thank you CruznLexi. Your post was very helpful!

Is the train from Seattle an Amtrak train? And the shuttle? Just wanted more info so I can look into it for next year. How long is the trip from Seattle to Vancouver?
Thanks!

2014: February aboard the Dream
2013: October at the Beach Club Resort
2011: May at the Polynesian
bridgetmck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #1233
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
Most things in Ketchikan are very walk-able no need for a taxi, as a good and funny alternative, the duck tour is fun and goes further as it goes into the sea channel.
The person that I quoted indicated they had a MIL that might have issues with walking. My Mom is also traveling with me so I chose a tour company to get us from place to place rather than walking (easier for her).
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #1234
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
The person that I quoted indicated they had a MIL that might have issues with walking. My Mom is also traveling with me so I chose a tour company to get us from place to place rather than walking (easier for her).
Understand.

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #1235
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

We loved the Eagles, Totems and Lighthouses excursion in Ketchikan. We saw many eagles nests both from afar and fairly close. They provided binoculars and snacks for everyone as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #1236
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG101 View Post
I called each of the companies directly or booked via internet/email:

I booked directly w/Duck Tours @ Ketchikan for $40/adult and $25/child (my 10 year old is considered on adult if I booked thru Disney). - prepaid via paypal

Booked directly with M&M Tours @ Skagway - Glacier Discovery by Helicopter $299/per person (adult price --- I think this was the same price for a child) ($313.95 w/taxes) - this was $60 less than Disney (I think) - hold w/credit card

Booked directly with Wings Airways @ Juneau - Taku Lodge Feast & 5 Glacier Seaplane Discovery $297/adult $250/child (once again my 10 year old is a child; via Disney - they consider him an adult price). - prepaid via credit card
Quote:
For our upcoming trip we have the following booked (I can break the prices down further if you need). They are a total of 4 people; me, my Mom, DD (who qualifies as a adult) and DS who will be 11 so still gets child rates when booking privately.

Skagway - Chilkoot tour, bus up and train down (with dogsleding for the kids)
$720

Juneau - Whale Watching with Alaska Galore (with dropoff at Mendenhall Glacier) for 2 adults, 1 child (my Mom doesn't want to do this one).
$422

Ketchikan - http://www.ketchikantaxicabtours.com/ $74 per hour for up to 6 people per van.
Thank you both. This was very helpful!
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #1237
jbthrone
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We have this booked for August so I can't give you a personal review yet, but the reviews that I have read have all been really good. This is a very inexpensive way to tour Ketchikan without all the walking.
Thanks for the link. I will look into it. Have a great cruise!
jbthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #1238
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG101 View Post
I called each of the companies directly or booked via internet/email: I booked directly w/Duck Tours @ Ketchikan for $40/adult and $25/child (my 10 year old is considered on adult if I booked thru Disney). - prepaid via paypal Booked directly with M&M Tours @ Skagway - Glacier Discovery by Helicopter $299/per person (adult price --- I think this was the same price for a child) ($313.95 w/taxes) - this was $60 less than Disney (I think) - hold w/credit card Booked directly with Wings Airways @ Juneau - Taku Lodge Feast & 5 Glacier Seaplane Discovery $297/adult $250/child (once again my 10 year old is a child; via Disney - they consider him an adult price). - prepaid via credit card
Taku lodge was my favorite excursion. We still talk about this one and would love to do it again!
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #1239
hygienist999
Mouseketeer

We are going on the May 24th Sailing of The Wonder to Alaska and I was wondering if anyone has done the excursion on a Float Plane, stopping in the Fjords, then flying back. Just wondered if we picked a good excursion to go on.

hygienist999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #1240
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hygienist999 View Post
We are going on the May 24th Sailing of The Wonder to Alaska and I was wondering if anyone has done the excursion on a Float Plane, stopping in the Fjords, then flying back. Just wondered if we picked a good excursion to go on.
We booked this excursion last summer and it was our absolute favorite excursion of the entire trip. I got teary-eyed as we flew through the absolutely beautiful and surreal landscape around Misty Fjord.

We booked our excursion independently through Island Wings, and I cannot say enough good things about them! The excursion was a splurge and worth every single penny.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #1241
blossomz
Proud DVC owner since 2002!

Is there much of a risk of cancellation due to weather? I was concerned about booking a floatplane only to have it be cancelled and then not have anything booked... We are going mid July.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #1242
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomz View Post
Is there much of a risk of cancellation due to weather? I was concerned about booking a floatplane only to have it be cancelled and then not have anything booked... We are going mid July.
This is a risk you run with many excursions in Alaska. The nice thing about going to Misty Fjord is that even though Ketchikan is extremely rainy, the weather in the fjord may prove very different. To be honest, if there's an excursion you want to do...I would just book it, especially if you are OK with booking on your own. The company we booked with would have refunded our money if our excursion was cancelled due to weather, and it's not hard to find or come up with backup excursions or activities if need be. The trip on our floatplane also only took about 2 hours, so had it been cancelled, our day wouldn't have been ruined.

Here is an FAQ right from Island Wings: http://www.islandwings.com/frequentl...stions#FAQ_Q80

If you scroll up a bit, you'll see their cancellation policy.

For what it's worth, although it rains about 50% of the time in Ketchikan...we had a GORGEOUS, 65-degree, SUNNY day when we visited! Your mileage may vary, but the word about town is that Disney did a great job of bringing the sunshine
Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #1243
blossomz
Proud DVC owner since 2002!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #1244
swooshbear
Mouseketeer

Last May, we had great weather in Ketchikan and did the Misty Fjord floatplane. It was really cool to land on the water and step out onto the pontoon for photos.

We had a dog sledding via helicopter trip planned in Juneau but the weather was so bad that day, no flights were able to take off and our trip was cancelled. We ended up walking around the town and eating one of those monster crab legs at Tracy's Crab Shack. We'll be back in August so hopefully the weather cooperates this time.
swooshbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #1245
hygienist999
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info on the float plane excursion. I hope it doesn't get rained out.

We are planning to do the hike at Mendenhall Glacier. I hope we will get some great photo's.

hygienist999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: