Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
1234lucky
Earning My Ears

FW Cabins or a 1 bd w/ DVC points for 5 plus 1 under 3

I'm struggling with hotel choices over here. We're 2 adults, 3 kids plus 1 under 3. We've ruled out the value suites because we'd like the full kitchen.

I'm struggling with what our DVC/villa options are and whether the collective thinks that would be a good idea with our numbers over the FW cabins.

It looks like the Animal Kingdom and OKW DVCs sleep five.

The downside of the cabins for us is the lack of resort feel and that it would feel too much like camping (which we love but this was to be a different type of vacation).
1234lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
1234lucky
Earning My Ears

Hmm, when I tried to book via the Disney system it allowed me as a family of 5 at the Yacht Club and WL studios but when I put in a 1 year old child as well, that option disappeared. I thought under 3 they didn't count for room occupancy.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at all 3 and would put both AKV and OKW way above a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. The cabins are quiet but transportation isn't as good-you have to take an internal campground bus to the MK boat and bus stop for other parks.

Both 1BR DVCs would get you a king bed in the bedroom, queen sleep sofa and twin sleep chair. At cabins you would have full size bed plus bunks in bedroom and full size murphy bed in living room.

Both DVCs would get you washer and dryer!!!

AKV Kidani would get you a 2nd bathroom!!!

BLT 1BR units also sleep 5 with 2nd bathroom. I've only stayed in a studio at BLT but loved the resort so my family of 5 will be staying in a 1 BR this summer.

OKW units are HUGE!!! But I found I liked the layout better at Kidani. Kidani also offers lots of fun/educational kid activities at the resort. The halls at Kidani are long - we requested an recieved a room close to an elevator. The elevators go all the way down to the parking garage so that was convenient if you have a car. Kindani busses share with AKL but stop at Kindani first for all busses except DTD. OKW you can park right near your villa. There are multiple bus stops within the resort so you're never too far from a bus stop.

You can boat or walk (during the day) to DTD from OKW.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234lucky View Post
Hmm, when I tried to book via the Disney system it allowed me as a family of 5 at the Yacht Club and WL studios but when I put in a 1 year old child as well, that option disappeared. I thought under 3 they didn't count for room occupancy.
Under 3 don't count but I think you have to call to book it.

YC rooms do accomodate 5 with 2 queens and a daybed but the rooms aren't huge.

I didn't think WL studios fit 5. I thought it was only VGF that could have 5 in a studio.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
1234lucky
Earning My Ears

Not sure lovesdumbo. I just did it and WL studio came up as an option for 5.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

I've read a lot of posts about FW and transportation but I have a totally different point of view. We thought the transport was excellent. In fact, transport there in summer was much better than POR at the end of January.

I'm not a "camping" person but we really loved the resort and had such a blast. As a fam of 5 our options are limited but we def love FW.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

I guess they added the pull down twin beds to the WL studios that they have at VGF. A studio at WL is 356 square feet.

AKV Kidani 1BR is 807 Sq Ft, OKW 1BR 942 Sq Ft, YC room 381 Sq Ft. The YC room wouldn't have the kitchenette the WL studio has so I think a room at the YC would feel a lot bigger.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

If you want to do a 1 bedroom, dvc akv and blt (potentially others but i don't know) do have that extra bathroom which would be nice with the kids. Its been a very long time since we stayed at OKW and I don't think they had a sleeper chair at the time but I could be mistaken. it seems they do have them now whether they used to or not.

under 3 does not count as pp stated so you can stay in any room that sleeps 5 with your group. as far as booking I don't know if you have to call or not because we've never maxed out a room so we just book it online.

My issue with the 1 bedrooms is always that while the king bed is nice the pull out sofa in the kitchen/living room area is not as nice as having a dedicated bedroom for the people who sleep on those. personally we never use the kitchen area so to us its not really a big plus and we also don't normally do laundry. although with 4 kids you may find the laundry in the room to be essential.

FW cabins - we've never stayed there but one of my good friends who loves disney as much as I do has always stayed at the cabins and she swears by it.

if you really want to do dvc have you thought about a 2 bedroom if it fits the budget? this would really give your kids their own space and avoid the mess of folding in/out the sofa bed and making up the chair. you could then do okw (lowest points and i believe cost for a 2 bedroom) and get yourself that 2nd bathroom.

I will add (and this is just my opinion) that if you're concerned with that "disney resort feel" your won't IMHO get it at kidani or okw. We are DVC members and usually use our points for akv - cl at jambo house or vero beach stays because we feel removed and not part of the action when staying dvc at disney world. At FW you are in the magic kingdom area, you have the chip and dale camp fire and hoop de doo review to name a few things that would make me feel like i was in the middle of it all.

Not sure what you're budget is or what you're resort/room "must haves" are but you could of course do one room at most of the deluxe resorts and the monorail resorts feel very disney and middle of the action to me. The rooms are biggest there but you'd only have one bathroom and you'd be tight on space. you could do two rooms if you could swing it getting 4 queen beds, 2 day beds (look twin sized to me), and two bathrooms.

staying club level at a monorail resort meaning the bigger monorail resort rooms with daybed and access to the lounge would allow you a little more space to spread out. one parent taking the older kids to the lounge for a snack and tv while the other stays with the little kid(s) for nap or quiet time? this might make one room more doable but would make two rooms seem like more space too. a suite is an option too.

if you really want to do dvc while getting IMHO what is the real disney resort feeling of being in the middle of everything i'd consider BLT. both kidani an okw feel very removed to me.

WL - has deluxe cl rooms that are available and sleep 6 (i think) thats probably why it came up.

2015 June 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #9
1234lucky
Earning My Ears

I'm not willing to spend for a 2 bedroom, or for the club level at the Deluxes. I think we will use the resort some, but we intend to spend a lot of time in the parts too. We'll be doing the water parks for sure for example. So given all that, I don't think it would be money well spent.

I see my options as a Villa/DVC studio or 1 bedroom or the FW cabins. Just not sure what to pick.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

I have never stayed at FW cabins but we did rent a golf cart for the day when we were there in December and toured the campgrounds. Not sure what time of year you are going but if you go during Xmas or Halloween people go all out on their campsites and it was fun riding around at xmas seeing it all. You didn't mention all the ages of the kids but you could have a blast at FW. Fishing, archery for young children, Chip and Dale campfire/singalong/smore roasting, water parade at night on the beach, the beach, just lots of places to roam around and have fun.

We have always stayed at WL but after our visit there in December the kids said they would love to stay there sometime. Mine are 7 and 13.

I think the cabins would be a good place to stay. Now having said that, someone did mention washer and dryer...with a family of 5 that might come in handy!!!

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234lucky View Post
I'm not willing to spend for a 2 bedroom, or for the club level at the Deluxes. I think we will use the resort some, but we intend to spend a lot of time in the parts too. We'll be doing the water parks for sure for example. So given all that, I don't think it would be money well spent.

I see my options as a Villa/DVC studio or 1 bedroom or the FW cabins. Just not sure what to pick.
DVC studios don't have the full kitchen you want.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

We are staying at FW in September and I can't wait! There is so much stuff to do, the price is cheaper than a deluxe (we saved over $400), and we like the fact that we can come "home" to our own place. We don't hear people checking in/out, toilets flushing, and people running up and down the hall at all hours. Yes, it's a little off the beaten path, but after a busy day at the parks, it will be nice to have a quiet place to relax. As for a washer and dryer, it would have to be really something for me to do laundry while I am on vacation. I just won't do it. It's my vacation, too. LOL.

Last edited by Haygar2; 03-27-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Haygar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
1234lucky
Earning My Ears

Good point about the studios not having a kitchen.

I am torn. The facilities at the villas look so much nicer. Especially the pools. The FW pools look pretty ho hum, and the good one is far from the cabins.

I do like the privacy though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: