Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
sammykster
Earning My Ears

Oceaneer club bathroom question

My 3 y/o is finally mostly potty trained. I'm hoping by our May cruise he will be 100% in the day so he can swim and go to clubs! My question is do the clubs for the little ones have lower toilets? If a 3 year old is expected to go alone I'm hoping? He's still a little afraid of big ones but hopefully that passes too! Thanks in advance!

9/20/14-9/27/14 Anniversary Trip @ Pop Century
Disney Fantasy Cruise 5/3/2014-5/10/2014
WDW @ Art of Animation 5/2/2014
WDW @ Art of Animation 4/17/13-4/24/13
Disney Magic Cruise 10/27/12-11/3/12
WDW @ Fort Wilderness Cabins 5/13/12-5/21/12
WDW @ Walt Disney Dolphin August 2000
WDW @ Caribbean Beach Resort 1993
sammykster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykster View Post
My 3 y/o is finally mostly potty trained. I'm hoping by our May cruise he will be 100% in the day so he can swim and go to clubs! My question is do the clubs for the little ones have lower toilets? If a 3 year old is expected to go alone I'm hoping? He's still a little afraid of big ones but hopefully that passes too! Thanks in advance!
They do, if you use a daycare, they're a lot like the ones the daycare would use in the smaller kid rooms. I'm not sure if the bathrooms over on the lab side have bigger toilets or not, I didn't look in there when we were wandering the ship the first day.
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
minniemouse1
Member of the Grand Slam Club!

On the Magic when I dropped DD off when she was 2 1/2 I would go into the BR with her in the kids club and make sure she went and washed her hands. She was still pretty tiny, the toilets were low the ground and at a perfect height for her. I haven't seen the inside of the BR's on the newer ships.
Wonder 2001 4 Day
Magic 2003 7 Day Western
Magic 2005 7 Day Eastern
Magic 2007 7 Day Eastern
Dream 2011 4 Day
Fantasy 2014 7 Day
Magic 2015 7 Day Mediterranean
DH me DD13 DD12 DD9 DS5
minniemouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Ndfor22349
Earning My Ears

On this subject. Our son is 3yrs old and is not fully potty trained. Anyone know if he can go to the clubs if we check on him every hour or so to remind him to use the potty.
Ndfor22349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse1 View Post
On the Magic when I dropped DD off when she was 2 1/2 I would go into the BR with her in the kids club and make sure she went and washed her hands. She was still pretty tiny, the toilets were low the ground and at a perfect height for her. I haven't seen the inside of the BR's on the newer ships.
I'm surprised at this. It's always been my understanding that no (as in NO) adults were allowed to accompany children into the bathrooms in the clubs. Not even parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndfor22349 View Post
On this subject. Our son is 3yrs old and is not fully potty trained. Anyone know if he can go to the clubs if we check on him every hour or so to remind him to use the potty.
AFAIK, at 3 he can go to either the nursery (non-potty trained) or Oceaneer's Club/Lab (potty-trained). I believe with you register him online you need to answer the question as to whether your 3 year old is potty trained. I guess it's up to you how you answer. But, if the answer is "no" I believe that DCL will put him in the nursery.

If you are able to put him in Oceaneer's, there's really no reason you can't go back and remind him to go periodically. But you can't accompany him to the bathroom in the club, you'd have to take him out to one of the public restrooms or your room to use the toilet.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
allformyboys
Earning My Ears

On the first day when its open house, I took my son and showed him where the bathroom were located and where to wash his hand

WDW: Sept 9-15, 2011 AKL
DL: Dec. 25-31 2012
Fantasy: May 18-25, 2013
2013 DVC Member: AKL
allformyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I'm surprised at this. It's always been my understanding that no (as in NO) adults were allowed to accompany children into the bathrooms in the clubs. Not even parents.

Considering the ages of the poster's kids, this was probably before the changes. When my kids were in the club we went into the bathrooms without a problem, though the CMs couldn't. One time I heard a child crying in a stall. They were feeling sick and I have no idea how long they were in there before I notified the CM.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
squirrel
DIS Veteran

In September on the Wonder they gave parents/guardians a lanyard to go and fetch our own kids.

I went in quite a few times and hunted for my niece. They sure can hide when they don't want to leave.

I think they don't want parents/guardians to hang out there during secure programing. They don't mind you running in to check on them.

For the other poster, they offer open house where you can go with your son and do activities and play. The rule is they need to be potty trained. They may make exceptions, but I would not expect it. They say no pull-ups allowed in the club. Keep encouraging him and tell him all the things he will get to do if he's out of diapers/pull-ups (swim in the Mickey Pool and go to the kids club, etc).
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #9
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
AFAIK, at 3 he can go to either the nursery (non-potty trained) or Oceaneer's Club/Lab (potty-trained). I believe with you register him online you need to answer the question as to whether your 3 year old is potty trained. I guess it's up to you how you answer. But, if the answer is "no" I believe that DCL will put him in the nursery. If you are able to put him in Oceaneer's, there's really no reason you can't go back and remind him to go periodically. But you can't accompany him to the bathroom in the club, you'd have to take him out to one of the public restrooms or your room to use the toilet.
This is not accurate. If your child is 3 they can go to the oceaneer's club/lab regardless if they are potty trained. They can not turn a 3 year old away from the club because that is the designated age. You can even bring them in a pull-up or diaper if the are over 3. Cast members will not change a diaper or accompany them to the restroom. You will be called to come pick them up/assist them if there is an issue. They also ask you to check in frequently .

In addition to asking directly at the club this was also communicated by the cast member who has a q&a thread on the forum. It's included in the very first post on his thread .
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #10
lelalittlelegs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
This is not accurate. If your child is 3 they can go to the oceaneer's club/lab regardless if they are potty trained. They can not turn a 3 year old away from the club because that is the designated age. You can even bring them in a pull-up or diaper if the are over 3. Cast members will not change a diaper or accompany them to the restroom. You will be called to come pick them up/assist them if there is an issue. They also ask you to check in frequently . In addition to asking directly at the club this was also communicated by the cast member who has a q&a thread on the forum. It's included in the very first post on his thread .
My friend was just on the Magic with her 3.5 year old who isn't potty trained and he could only attend Oceaneers club with an adult during open play. They were absolutely adamant that if he wasn't potty trained, he couldn't remain in the club. Same with pull-ups, they told her that unless it was during open play and she was there to assist him if he needed the bathroom or his pull-up changing, he couldn't wear one. And parents were allowed into the bathroom. No CMs.

My DD is almost 6 and has cerebral palsy. We are still in nappies/diapers. She also could not attend Oceaneers. Not in 2011, last year or later on this year. When you register them for the club it asks you whether they are potty trained or not.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelalittlelegs View Post
My friend was just on the Magic with her 3.5 year old who isn't potty trained and he could only attend Oceaneers club with an adult during open play. They were absolutely adamant that if he wasn't potty trained, he couldn't remain in the club. Same with pull-ups, they told her that unless it was during open play and she was there to assist him if he needed the bathroom or his pull-up changing, he couldn't wear one. And parents were allowed into the bathroom. No CMs.

My DD is almost 6 and has cerebral palsy. We are still in nappies/diapers. She also could not attend Oceaneers. Not in 2011, last year or later on this year. When you register them for the club it asks you whether they are potty trained or not.
Your daughter is a good example of why they should be allowed to make exceptions. I'm not sure why they don't allow pull-ups or diapers in that room but if parents are leaving a child with a diaper/pull-up they can reach them with the wave phone. Just require them to show it when they drop of their child and make sure they know to come right away to change or they won't be allowed to leave their child again.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelalittlelegs View Post

It sounds like your friend had a bad experience which is unfortunate. Perhaps the cast member she spoke with wasn't aware that the child in question was over 3. It is a discrimination issue to turn away a child between the ages of 3-12 due to potty training reasons at the Oceaneers Club / Lab. If you look at the DCL site they have removed all language related to potty training being required in the club. DCL would be risking a lawsuit. If this happens again or if the OP runs into this type of issue I would absolutely ask to speak with the club manager.

This is the information on the DCL website regarding Children with Special Needs
Children ages 3 to 12 with special needs are welcome at Disney's Oceaneer Club. While we cannot offer one-on-one care for your child, simply let our counselors know in advance and we will accommodate the best we can. If your daughter does not require one on one attention and would be comfortable in the club on her own I don't see that the diaper situation would be the reason she could not be there on her own. They even offer pagers (in addition to the wave phones) if they need to get ahold of you quickly. If you need to be with your daughter during open houses I'm sure the time spent is very special to you both. Hoping that you and your family have wonderful cruise in a few months.

In my previous post I mentioned the cast member who works on the ship in the clubs. He has been answering any/all questions. I know we've all read that agents don't always know the facts. This person actually works in the clubs so his responses are first hand. This is a quote from the first post on the thread. The same response has been repeated multiple times as parents ask the question. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....186484&page=66
My child is under 3, can they go to the Oceaneer Club or Lab?
Not unless they fulfill the following requirements:
-Are fully potty trained (can use a toilet and undress themselves independently, must not wear diapers or pull-ups.)
-Are capable of speaking and communicating their needs to an adult who is not in their family
-Are independent (i.e.: will not spend the entire time in the space crying and waiting by the front gate due to separation anxiety)
-Are well socialized and do not demonstrate any fear of Counselors and will be able to follow instructions.
-Are generally within 2 months of turning 3 years old.

This is the general guideline we follow when approving children under the age requirement into the space - which might seem like a tall order for toddlers, but there are indeed tons of 2-year olds who possess all of these qualities and have matured and grown quite rapidly! So don't fret if your 2-year old doesn't quite match up, kids mature at different rates. If a Counselor is ever in doubt about the eligibility of an under-3 into the space, they will ask for a Manager to come speak with the family and have a look at the child.

My child is over the age of 3 and is not fully potty-trained, can they still go into the space?
We are required to accept any child between 3- 12, regardless of whether they are potty trained. Once they fall within our age group, you may have them in diapers and pullups (we have had many cases of children with bowel issues, or late potty-training, or developmental delays needing this!). We will ask you to check on them frequently as we aren't allowed to change them ourselves.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: