Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
NorCalGal
Mouseketeer

How to get from Miami to Orlando?

Hello:

I am going on the Disney Wonder (my first Disney cruise) from April 4 to 9. On the 9th, I need to get from Miami to Orlando, where I will be staying at Pop Century for 5 nights. I thought it would be fairly easy to find ground transportation, but it seems to be more difficult than I was expecting! Several of the websites that come up when you Google Miami to Orlando transportation have only one early morning bus or aren't doing that itinerary on that day. Others are sold out except for very late departures, which I would rather not do if I can avoid it. Has anyone ever used Miami Orlando shuttle service? Or, do you have one that you have used and were really happy with (in case it's one I haven't tried)?

TIA
Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Personally, I'd say your best option would be to rent a car and drive. Orlando and Miami aren't that far apart, and the drive is pretty easy.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
htmlkid
Gold DCL Member / SSR DVC Member

Car Rental

One way car rentals are cheap worn here under $75

htmlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

We rented a car.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

I'm renting a car (from Budget) next month. I check the discount codes that MouseSavers has on their site. You have to check them all to find the best deal, and they are different if you use different locations (Airport vs. downtown)

For a one day rental from Budget Downtown / Cruise port to WDW (doubletree @ hotel village) is about $50 I think. I remember getting a pretty substantial discount with one of the codes vs all of the others.

My understanding is the Drive is about 3 1/2 hours.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
SpoonfulofSugar
DIS Veteran

We rented a car too, it's about a 3.5 hr easy drive if you take the FL Turnpike
Old 03-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
NorCalGal
Mouseketeer

Well, dang, isn't there anyone else who doesn't find driving relaxing

I am doing the cruise with family, but going to Orlando on my own and would really rather leave the driving to someone else.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
Toddymae
Earning My Ears, again and again

Hate driving and I really hate driving the Fl Turnpike. Sorry, I hop a plane whenever I go to Miami from Orlando. But a car might be your best bet. We have a saying - here in Fl - you can't get there form here. But the drive to and from Orlando to Miami isn't to bad - it's just driving!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
my3kids143
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddymae View Post
Hate driving and I really hate driving the Fl Turnpike. Sorry, I hop a plane whenever I go to Miami from Orlando. But a car might be your best bet. We have a saying - here in Fl - you can't get there form here. But the drive to and from Orlando to Miami isn't to bad - it's just driving!
Which airline flies from Orlando to Miami? Is it expensive? How long is the flight?
TIA!
my3kids143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
holula
DIS Veteran

I know American and United both have direct flights. It's about an hour.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

I was able to get one way non stop through American Airlines from Miami to Orlando for $140 for my trip next month. I booked September 2013. The flight is not even an hour long. We sail the Wonder next month and heading to Disney world afterwards.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

We just drove WDW to Miami this past October. We like to drive so sorry can't help with other transportation.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 03-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
NorCalGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddymae View Post
Unfortunately, when I made my airline reservations, it never occurred to me to fly from FLL to Orlando. I have to fly United because they are the only airline that flies out of our small regional airport (and we are about 300 miles from a "decent" airport), and United doesn't have a Miami to Orlando flight. I did a quick check for shuttles and it looked like it would be easy, so I just booked air to Miami, and then from Orlando home. Next time, I will add the FLL to Orlando leg, which would probably be less than $100 extra if I do it when booking.

We didn't decide to do this cruise until late in the game, which is part of the problem. Air on other airlines for Miami to Orlando is $300 at this point. Air from FLL to Orlando is $120, plus $15 shuttle to FLL. I decided to book a shuttle on Florida Sunshine Shuttle. It's only $40, directly to Pop Century. I do have to get to the airport in Miami to catch it, so I'll probably split a taxi with my brother so that will be really cheap. I won't arrive to Pop until about 6pm, so I lose 2 hours I could have had if I flew, but I was just planning to do DTD that day anyway and not try to get to a park.

Thanks for all your info!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

I have thought about the same thing, and have decided I would rather just rent a car and drive. It doesn't cost me anything to fly, but I would still rather drive the 31/2 hours than mess with airport security, luggage, magical express etc. I figure by the time we get to the airport, check in, get through security, and wait to board I could be half way or more to MCO. I travel with 2 kids, a husband, and a lot of luggage. If I was by myself I would probably jump on a plane.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #15
UK-Simon
Wow! I'd love to see the Tennis Racket for that ball!

Warning

We just rented from Budget to drive from Miami to Orlando. FYI the shuttle was full and so we had to taxi it. When we got there there was a massive line and no fastbreak counter. The one and only guy running the counter said he didn't even have enough cars. Then I was to Avis, who had nothing also. They said all car rental companies would be sold out. I called the Avis line and they quoted me $350 for a one way to MCO in an SUV from the airport!

I ended up going back to Budget and waiting in line. As cars were coming in they were sending them straight out. Luckily as I rented using the fast break service, eventually I was called by name ahead of others just waiting, and we did get a car. But having rented Budget at Canaveral many, many times, it was a very different experience.

Moral of the story- I would rent a car again, but I would get off the ship EARLY to avoid the gong show, and I'd return to the port to pick up my family!

Good luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: