Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #91
mandyyyrose
Earning My Ears

No hate, please

I personally, as a 19 year old girl, don't like the idea of a 'plus size' princess. I am not the Disney princess type by any means, but that hasn't stopped me from relating to and learning from them. My favorite princess is Ariel, and I remember running around the beach and swimming with my 'mermaid tail', I also remember(heck, still do) sing Mulan songs every chance I get. I don't relate to their bodies or background, and that's okay. Disney doesn't owe it to me, or anyone, to make something just because it is demanded. If we create princesses just to please people, then isn't the magic kind of gone? The 'body type' isn't what should matter, I don't even honestly remember the 'size' of them, I remember the story. I don't look at the princesses as body image models, I look at them as heroic, mature brave and capable women, and that's what I learned from them and aspire for myself. My acceptance of my body came from my parents, sister, friends, boyfriend, and ultimately myself, not a Disney movie. I'm happier with my body now than I ever have been, and that's nothing a movie could teach me, although some Disney songs are good to rock out to while I'm running (: At least for myself and my little cousins, I want them to get the lasting messages that they can do whatever they set their minds to, I don't think that they need a plus sized princess to tell them they're okay, if that's how it ends up, I want me and my sister, as well as their mothers and aunts and grandma to be the ones to tell them they're beautiful, Disney should be their escape, their fantasy, their dreams not their body image promoters.
(sorry if that makes absolutely no sense, I'm a college student who's had wayyy too much coffee today)
Art of Animation January 2015 for my first RunDisney!
First 1/2 marathon June 22, 2014!
mandyyyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #92
TooExcitedCantSleep
I can't with you basic chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
It's not just Disney that has found the formula for what sells. Take a look at Strawberry Shortcake.....

Original:

Update:

Strawberry Shortcake was a perfectly reasonable character in the 1980s and reflected the cultural demand at that time. She has been re-imagined to conform with what sells today. If there was a market demand for a more plump version of the character, the character would reflect that.
HA HA!!!! I grew up watching Strawberry Shortcake.......I didn't even notice how much of a drastic this change was. I like the new one better, though...she looks like an actual girl-----the first one looks like a doll.

I thought of something else too......it's very hypocritical for NBC/Comcast and Fox to promote this girl's cause-----when all their new anchors and reporters are slender. Does that upset her too???? NBC -----all of your Today show anchors are skinny whenever you decide to assign the first fat news anchor to headline the Today Show then you can judge. Otherwise- NBC and Fox is just slimy pretending that they care when they won't hire fat news anchors!!!!! Hypocrites!!!!!
TooExcitedCantSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #93
OlaftheSnowman
Disney obsessed and LOVING IT!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Interesting.. I guess the themed restaurant to go along with the princess would have to be a buffet..
Excuse me but it does not have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bow down to disney

my friends laugh about it
OlaftheSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #94
arthropodtodd
Mouseketeer

this is the silliest thing ever. When did we quit taking responsibility for ourselves and expect others to cater to our problems/concerns/wishes.

this coming from a fat dude.

WL 2004 - Wedding and Honeymoon there
WL - 2006
WL - 2009
CR - 2011
WL - 2012
WL Club Level - 2013
WL - 2014 -Summer

Coming next:
POP & AKL 2014 - Winter

In the pipe:
2015 - fall
2016 - fall
arthropodtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #95
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthropodtodd View Post
this is the silliest thing ever. When did we quit taking responsibility for ourselves and expect others to cater to our problems/concerns/wishes.

this coming from a fat dude.
Self responsibility takes effort and that's just too hard for some. And, a few are also taught that by their parents - (I actually know some).

Just a spoiled entitled generation - not all, of course.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #96
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

I am not sure if this has been mentioned already, but....

Plus-size does not necessarily mean morbidly obese. People hear "plus-size" and picture a 600 lb woman needing to be airlifted out of her apartment.

I guess I heard plus-sized and thought, "NOT Karen Carpenter." I don't think there would be anything wrong with having a normal-sized princess, which we never have. We have Karen Carpenter princesses with big breasts.
What about a Kate Winslet-sized princess? Or Drew Barrymore? They aren't morbidly obese. And they aren't anorexic. It would seem like a good start.

And for those of you who think you're not influenced by the shapes and sizes of Disney princesses when you're young, here are some articles to chew on. Pun intended:
1. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/20/wo...w-of-body.html

2. https://www.nationaleatingdisorders....ting-disorders

3. My favorite: http://filmandmedia12.**************...n+Disney+Films

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #97
Pumpkin meme
I never travel to WDW in December ...its overrun with chanting cheer squads and pushy mothers...

I wouldn't like plus sized princesses

just sayin......

And I'm a middle aged, grandmother with GD's.

YMMV.
Pumpkin meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #98
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

This has got to be the dumbest conversation on dis boards....

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #99
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Disney can't have a fat princess . Most Disney princess movies starts out with the hero having a problem that has to be overcome.

A fat Disney princess problem would deal with the isolation and snickering of others at school or work.

What would the people causing the pain look like? Disney princesses.

Seriously, put Aurora and Jasmine in modern clothes and they are the villains to the fat girl story.

Plus, how does the fat girl win? Can she realistically get the good looking guy? No! She only wins by losing the weight. That only reinforces the problem to a young fat girl.

Here are a few things I would like to see.

A fat girl can be smart, and she can regain her self confidence. She can learn to wear clothes and makeup that complements her, and she can learn to carry her head high. She can learn to do better with her eating and that it's ok to not look like Aurora. She can also learn that even though she may not get Prince Philip, there is an adorable teddy bear of a guy out there that will treat her well and not like a possession. She will learn to not rely on her looks but by the strong will she has developed. She can start her own business or earn her degree or both and she can and will make it...and live happily ever after.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #100
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse14 View Post
This has got to be the dumbest conversation on dis boards....
Well, you can just thank 'Rumors Rocks' which start a lot of this type threads, then never again post on them!!

Evident they love to
Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #101
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Is this thread seriously still going!?!
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #102
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
Is this thread seriously still going!?!
Well, sort of looks that way, don't it?? Keeps getting resurrected.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #103
nickjonasobsessed
Mouseketeer

What I don't understand is why everyone automatically assumes that plus size women are morbidly obese?? I know plenty of women that are wearing plus sizes that have a healthy weight.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #104
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
Disney can't have a fat princess . Most Disney princess movies starts out with the hero having a problem that has to be overcome.

A fat Disney princess problem would deal with the isolation and snickering of others at school or work.

Seriously, put Aurora and Jasmine in modern clothes and they are the villains to the fat girl story.

Plus, how does the fat girl win? Can she realistically get the good looking guy? No! She only wins by losing the weight. That only reinforces the problem to a young fat girl.

A fat girl can be smart, and she can regain her self confidence. She can learn to wear clothes and makeup that complements her, and she can learn to carry her head high. She can learn to do better with her eating and that it's ok to not look like Aurora. She can also learn that even though she may not get Prince Philip, there is an adorable teddy bear of a guy out there that will treat her well and not like a possession. She will learn to not rely on her looks but by the strong will she has developed. She can start her own business or earn her degree or both and she can and will make it...and live happily ever after.
DreamWorks made your movie already, it's called Shrek. It was wildly successful, won an Oscar and had 3 sequels.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #105
TipsyTraveler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post

I think it's interesting that the "fat girl" could never land the slim, good-looking guy, yet movies and TV shows are full of balding, middle-aged men married to young, hot women. It seems like quite the double standard.
TipsyTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: