Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #1711
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

In the spirit of the Six Degrees of Barb trip count, I should note that if Barb left HS on Monday night after the 50's Prime Time Dinner and traveled to MK's EMH, we have our third close encounter as we were there following our Tony's dinner until park close.

And I have to say that the group's Akershus breakfast looked really good. We have never been to Akershus, but the cheesy potatoes look so good! And maybe I'm the only person like this, but I had no idea how to pronounce the dining spot's name a few years back when we started our regular trips to Disney so I googled it and heard a voice pronounce it as OCK-ER-SHUSS. It's kinda fun to say!

Onto day three of our adventures at WDW.

On the third day of our Christmas trip, our family chose to eat...Breakfast at Roaring Forks.

As we were staying at the WL, it was a simple elevator ride and walk to our breakfast destination.

As it was pretty early, Roaring Forks was not very crowded at all, though it does get tend to get more crowded as guests start to stir and get their day going.

We grabbed a few simple breakfast selections. Other than DS, we all shared what we had, having a few bites of everything.

So we'll start with DS's breakfast, since other than the bacon, which he won't eat, he ate on his own.

DS selected the kid's portion of Mickey waffles with chocolate chips, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream, though the whipped cream had either melted or was eaten before I got a picture.

I am always amazed at the speed in which DS is able to put away his food. This speed seems to be increasing with age so I cringe to think of what it will be like when he is a teenager!

DH, DD1, the baby and I shared a few items, a banana nut muffin and a kid's portion of scrambled eggs, bacon(with DS's contribution), grapes, and a supplemented banana.

Our quick, fast breakfast was good. The banana nut muffin was very moist. Little DD2 liked the scrambled eggs and grapes. DD1 liked the banana and bacon. DH and I just ate whatever the kids didn't, like good parents usually do.

With a little fuel, we were ready to tackle seeing a few lions and tigers, and water buffalo, oh my!!!
buzz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #1712
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
In the spirit of the Six Degrees of Barb trip count, I should note that if Barb left HS on Monday night after the 50's Prime Time Dinner and traveled to MK's EMH, we have our third close encounter as we were there following our Tony's dinner until park close.
Sadly, not this time DeeDee. Though the spirit was willing that night, the body definitely was not. After our dinner at Prime Time, the old lady of the group headed back to her room and was fast asleep while the kids were off having fun at Magic Kingdom.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #1713
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Sadly, not this time DeeDee. Though the spirit was willing that night, the body definitely was not. After our dinner at Prime Time, the old lady of the group headed back to her room and was fast asleep while the kids were off having fun at Magic Kingdom.
Barb, I know what you mean about being Disney tired! The first few days I am excited and probably run off of that and adrenaline, but then all the walking, heat, and non-stop hours start to creep up on me and I find myself napping when the kids do after lunch. I find it hard to believe the days in the World dawn so early!!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #1714
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I knew we were going to have a late night with MVMCP and I was leaving the next day so I once again chose a bit of extra sleep over meeting up for breakfast. Seeing the great reviews makes me regret that decision now!

As we were meeting up in the MK later for lunch, I headed back to the MSB/Starbucks ..

This time for an iced tea and a blueberry scone. Once again, tasty and satisfying. I again sat at the end of that alley way watching the World go by. A probably mid-20's guy comes running down ...

Him: Is that from Starbucks?
Me: Yes
Him: Did you get it here???
Me: Yes
Him: Is it close by??????
Me: Right up around the corner...you can't miss it
Him: THANK YOU SO MUCH! You made my morning!

So not everyone hates Starbucks in Disney!

A bit later while waiting for everyone, DS texted me this picture from home ....

To which I responded ...

And then got this that had been shown on the weather channel ...

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #1715
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Dee-Dee... we were also staying at the WL and had our first meal of the day there... however ours was just a kids Turkey sadwich right as Breakfast turned into Lunch... I took a picture of it but I can't find it now. My husband enjoyed the tiny chocolate milk that came with it and we both had half the sandwich and fries with it.

Vicki! I totally remember that Hate Florida Day!! I remember feeling like it was TOO HOT for December while we were there. I was really hoping for milder temps and less humidity... but I prefer what we had to freezing like I did that last time I was there in December!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #1716
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wonderful reviews from Akershus!
I just recommended it to a friend who is taking his Belle crazy daughter on an upcoming trip so happy to hear it was such a success
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #1717
Niki Andiokno
Mouseketeer

Barb, I so want to visit this spring and ride your parachute contraption. Looks like so much fun. Also I can't wait till October. Your December meets look like they were so much fun.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #1718
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki Andiokno View Post
Barb, I so want to visit this spring and ride your parachute contraption. Looks like so much fun. Also I can't wait till October. Your December meets look like they were so much fun.

If you should ever find yourself in the Lexington/Chenoa area of the state, let me know. Once Joh returns from her current trip to the World, then I will probably start an email group for October so we can start planning some DISmeets. Send me a PM (or a text if you still have my cell number) with your email address.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #1719
jabead
DIS Veteran

We have received some live updates from Disney World.

Patty and Rachel both arrived on Sunday and are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House for the first three nights of their trip.

Patty sent this photo yesterday of the view from their room...

Then this morning Patty sent this "Good Morning" greeting from...

Later an update from their lunch at...

Patty said, "This was our first trip to Yak & Yeti."

"We named her Sally."

"We started with the wok-fried green beans...

"I wish I got the smaller side portion instead of appetizer. The green beans were crunchy and tasty but I would have liked a ranch dipping sauce. Emme also loved these."

"I had a Blood Mary...

"Nice flavor but not enough vodka. The celery salt was nice."

"Emme loved her Kids meal and I was happy to see that rice was a side item."

"I chose the Ahi Tuna appetizer as my entrée...

"I loved the ahi tuna and was surprised how fresh it was. I was just too full to enjoy it."

"Also got the pork egg rolls but they went straight in a box. I had one as a snack and they weren't fabulous but were decent. Not gonna lie...mine are better!"

"Our server also asked if I wanted sriracha sauce...

"I was so excited."

"For dessert, Emme got a Kid's Sundae...

"Overall, it was a pretty satisfying meal. I've been eating better and exercising so my stomach had shrunk (so tragic!). Yak & Yeti doesn't accept TIW but there is an AP discount, only on entrees though. So I received an 85 cent discount for Emme's meal."

After Animal Kingdom, they went back to AKL for some pool time...

...and Patty had a cocktail from the pool bar.

"Skinny Girl Coconut Mint Mojito...

"It was very refreshing and yummy!"

Next up: A dinner update from Rachel

Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #1720
jabead
DIS Veteran

Now for an update from our other live reporter, Rachel.

She said, "Good evening from Disney! I had a wonderful meal from Sanaa so wanted to share."

"Bread service, we loved it!"

"My entrée was sustainable fish and it was so good! It was layered over carrots, shrimp, sweet potato purée, spinach and arugula on top!"

"Free birthday dessert - coconut cheesecake was very good."

"Also had to order the trio with chocolate mousse and chai cream. I enjoyed the chocolate mousse mixed with chai cream!"

Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #1721
jabead
DIS Veteran

Following our breakfast at Akershus, Em and I headed back to the Boardwalk, as she needed to do some more school work and I needed to pack up for my final move of the trip, this time to the..

Wilderness Lodge

Once my bags were packed and I had arranged for their transfer to the Wilderness, I had some time to kill before I needed to head to Magic Kingdom. I had three goals that I wanted to accomplish before leaving the Boardwalk area though, so I was off to the Screen Door General Store to see about completing the first. I had admired a bag that Beth had and decided to see if I might be able to get one like it for myself. I didn't have any luck finding it there, but then I went to the small hotel gift shop (Dundy's Sundries) that is located just off the lobby and voilà...

With my first mission accomplished, I turned my attention to the second. For this I went to Guest Services right there at the Boardwalk. I had enjoyed the Candlelight Processional so much that I decided I wanted to see it again with my daughter, who was arriving at Disney World that afternoon. After discussing this with her, we decided that we wanted to do the CP dining package on Thursday and she was feeling like Asian food so requested that we dine at either Teppan Edo or Nine Dragons. Though I inquired about both, I was pretty confident that there would only be openings at Nine Dragons. But much to my surprise, the CM told me that neither of these were available. I then asked what was available for Thursday. She then refreshed her screen and voilà...availability came up at both restaurants. Wow, this was my lucky day...or so I thought. (but you will have to wait until our Thursday reviews to find out the final outcome of this story). Anyway, I chose the Teppan Edo lunch CP package that was available and handed over my credit card for the required guarantee. The CM gave me the whole spiel about the cancellation policy, which with the CP package requires 48 hours notice of cancellation otherwise you are charged the full amount of the meal (not just $10 per person). She then handed me a reservation ticket, which I promptly stuck in my purse along with my credit card and happily was on my way to accomplish my third goal at the...

But first a Napoleon history lesson...

No, not that one silly.

I'm talking about one of my favorite Disney World dessert snacks...

The above photo of the Boulangerie Patisserie Napoleon was taken a couple of years ago. This version was wonderful...loved it!!!

Then a travesty was committed when following the bakery makeover which occurred in late 2012, they came out with a different version of the Napoleon.

{Photo taken and review done for the live thread by DonaldDoleWhip}

This version looked very much like the one offered by DHS' Starring Rolls Café...

I had tasted this one and didn't like it nearly as much as the old Boulangerie Patisserie version. The icing on top was sickly sweet and the custard filling was not as good.

My suspicions regarding the new French bakery version were confirmed when DDW gave it a negative review. I sadly resigned myself to the fact that one of my Disney World favorite desserts had "deserted" me. But then later in his trip DDW sent photos and a very positive review of the Napoleon at the Boardwalk Bakery...and once again I had hope.

So my final goal before leaving the Boardwalk was to try the Napoleon. I entered the bakery for the first time (as it was still under construction during my last trip in March) and was impressed by the larger size. There was no one in line in front of me so knowing exactly what I wanted, I went straight up to the counter to order. I was told that they didn't have any of the Napoleon pastries available for purchase...but wait, they would have a fresh batch out in about 15 - 20 minutes. Since I still had plenty of time, I had no problem with waiting...plus it gave me a chance to check out and photograph the other offerings in their display cases.

First some breakfast pastries...

Chocolate Chip Mickey Muffins, Assorted Muffins (including blueberry and chocolate chip), Sticky Buns, and Cinnamon Buns

Danish, Brioche Rum Raisin Twists, Apple Tarts, and Jersey Crumb Cake

Cranberry-Orange Muffins, Chocolate and Plain Croissants

And then some desserts...

Holiday Cupcakes, Tiramisu, Salted Caramel Ganache, Cheesecake Brownies, Mango Vanilla Panna Cotta, Cannoli, Carrot Cake, Fruit Tarts, and Minnie Oreo Head Cakes

Strawberry Cupcakes, Mickey Oreo Head Cakes, and Key Lime Tarts

Oreo Cupcakes, Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar Cakes, Lemon Meringue Tarts, Eclairs, and Peanut Butter, Banana, & Candied Bacon Pies

Soooo...as I'm standing there waiting on my Napoleon, I can't resist the temptation to get a few other things. After all, I now had that big bag that would make it easy to carry my purchases, right???

I got a couple of things that I knew my daughter would like...

Chocolate Croissant - $2.99

Chocolate Chip Cookie - $2.39

And just because it looked soooo good...

Holiday Cupcake - Chocolate cake with Peppermint Frosting $4.19

Once they brought out my Napoleon, I asked that they put it on a plate and box up the other three items to go. Then I went outside and found a table along the boardwalk so that I could eat my Napoleon. But first I removed the croissant and cookie from their box to take a picture of each, and then opened the plastic container which held the cupcake in order to get a better photo of the cupcake. It was about this time that I noticed that the people sitting at the table next to me were watching me take photos of my food and were quite amused. So being the ornery person that I am, I decided to really put on a show for them by taking another photo of my cupcake...

Moving it slightly, I then took another...

...and yet another.

I carefully placed everything back into their containers and put them in my bag, then turned my attention to the ...

Napoleon - $3.99

Then moved it and took a photo from a slightly different angle...

...and then another.

Then I couldn't keep a straight face any longer, so I looked at the people who were still watching me intently, winked, and started giggling. Gotcha!

Anyway, getting back to the primary reason that I was here, the Napoleon. I'm happy to report that it was just as good as the old version from the French bakery. In fact, with the added bonus of the chocolate-dipped strawberry on top, it may have been even better.

So with my missions accomplished, it was time to get myself to Magic Kingdom...but that's a whole other story, which I'll save for the next review.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #1722
jabead
DIS Veteran

We received one more live update from Disney World last night, this one from Patty (emmebear).

She said, "I had dinner at The Mara tonight."

"The falafel sandwich was excellent. There was a sun-dried tomato hummus applied to the pita which was so tasty. I wish the falafel was more crunchy but there was also some tomato, cucumber, and lettuce for texture."

"I enjoyed the yogurt sauce and got an extra side. The couscous salad was on the sweet side but had great flavor."

"I ate on the balcony while Emme slept, as she was so tired from our day. It was so calm and surreal to see all the animals roaming freely about."

"My dining companions."

"For Emme's dinner, she got...

Kids Pepperoni Pizza

"She devoured this thing and it had pepperoni on it (another food item added to her small list of edible things). The pizza was not covered in sauce like at other QS places and the dough was still soft and chewy Two thumbs up!"

"I subbed her favorite mashed potatoes as a side item. Carb-a-Licious dinner for Emme!"

"I really really liked Mara as a QS option. There is a really nice variety and the food is very fresh and delicious."

"I am totally falling in love with this resort. It's fantastic!!"

Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1723
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Barb- you got the bag I saw it the other day in my closet and was wondering if you bought it or not. Glad to see you did. It is so useful for so many things

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #1724
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Enjoying seeing Rachel and Patty's live review - it's like the good old days Barb!
Nice bag by the way
Mmm, that Napoleon certainly looks good. DH would love that
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #1725
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Dee-Dee... we were also staying at the WL and had our first meal of the day there... however ours was just a kids Turkey sadwich right as Breakfast turned into Lunch... I took a picture of it but I can't find it now. My husband enjoyed the tiny chocolate milk that came with it and we both had half the sandwich and fries with it.

Vicki! I totally remember that Hate Florida Day!! I remember feeling like it was TOO HOT for December while we were there. I was really hoping for milder temps and less humidity... but I prefer what we had to freezing like I did that last time I was there in December!
I thought I remembered that you and Hunter were at WL during your trip. I wish we had run into you guys while we were all there. If I'm not mistaken several of us ended up at WL, you and Hunter, us, Barb, Linda at the Villas, and maybe even Brenda and Em towards the end of their vacation as well.

It was pretty warm while we were there. What was truly crazy was that there was a 30-40 degree temperature difference just seven hours away back home!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: