Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
bwifan
Mouseketeer

Dining plan newbie

We are planning our first September trip ever. I understand free dining is sometimes offered during this time. We don't usually do the dining plan, but would of course if it was free.
Anyway, do I add the dining to my package now? Or do I add it to my package later, if the free dining thing actually happens? Which is easier?
bwifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Adding it when its offered since you said you probably won't add it otherwise.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwifan View Post
We are planning our first September trip ever. I understand free dining is sometimes offered during this time. We don't usually do the dining plan, but would of course if it was free.
Anyway, do I add the dining to my package now? Or do I add it to my package later, if the free dining thing actually happens? Which is easier?
If you will only get the DDP if it's free, I'd probably wait to see if it's offered. If you have a package already booked, your reservation can easily be modified, as long as the resort/room type you have booked is available under FD as having a reservation already in place does not guarantee a discount can be applied. Also, if you book RO now and want to change to a package later, the RO will have to cancelled/refunded and a package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit (or payment in full if this is done 45 days or less from arrival).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
bwifan
Mouseketeer

Thanks.

I'll wait and see. Book my usual now.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
FutureMayor
Earning My Ears

I would suggest weighing the discounts available to you in September, then make your decision. If you get a steep discount on rooms (30% or something like that), it sounds to me that you may get more benefit from a room discount than you would on a free dining plan but paying full rack rate. Based on your description of your family, your children do not sound like they would come close to capturing the value of dining plan.

There are very few cases where the dining plan makes sense, so I would strongly suggest doing the math before making your decision.

If you are concerned about controlling the cost of your vacation, there are many other ways to do it (pre-paid gift cards, etc.). To me, I'd rather have the money in my pocket than in theirs.

2014 (Spring) Contemporary, (Summer) Grand Foridian, (Fall) Bay Lake Towers (MNSSHP)
2013 (Summer) Polynesian, (Fall) Animal Kingdom Lodge (MVMCP)
2012 (Summer) Bay Lake Towers, (Fall) Animal Kingdom Lodge (MVMCP)
2011 Polynesian
2010 Polynesian
2009 Off-Site
FutureMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
bwifan
Mouseketeer

I figured they never offered room discounts while offering free dining. If they did I would definitely go with that! The dining plan doesn't really match my family. Two girls who eat nothing and a boy who only eats mussels (usually an app)!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: