Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #16
rteetz
DIS Veteran

We are a family of five too. We are looking into POR or renting points as well. I looked at renting points and it ended up only being $24 more than POR but we haven't decided what we are going to do for sure yet. Our family consists of 16, 12 and 8 year olds.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 5 and have stayed at the AoA Family Suites and at the Beach Club. We had a blast at each of these resorts, though the experiences were very different. We

Details for the AoA:

1. Separate room with a queen bed and master bath for the parents. This was a fantastic perk! We had our own TV, and we could close the door and have some privacy from the kids.

2. Two separate sleeping areas for the kids. I had my boys sleep on the fold out couch in the living room and my daughter sleep on the table bed. Both of these are double beds, and were very comfortable. The kids loved that they had their own TV.

3. During the day the table and chairs were nice. We could sit and drink coffee in the morning and spread out our park info. The suite is very spacious and well-designed.

4. The Food Court has some interesting things, but also has a good selection of the typical breakfast and dessert items.

5. The bus stop is covered, and has circulation fans above.

6. The pools are nice, though they don't have slides. My kids absolutely adored the big blue pool. We could see some of the Epcot fireworks from the pool.

Details for the Beach Club

1. The pool is absolutely amazing!

2. The rooms are decent sized for a family of 5. There are two queen beds and a daybed.

3. Walking distance to Epcot, easy boat access to DHS.

4. Lots of things to do and see at the resort. Boat rentals, the close proximity to the boardwalk.

5. We stayed on the club level, and we loved having a quick place for breakfast, snacks and drinks.

6. The staff at the Beach Club is top notch.

7. Beaches and Cream, Hurricane Hannah's, The Marketplace are decent for quick service, though you won't have the same selection at the AoA. Cape May has great character breakfasts, and the dinner buffet is great!

AliceIn is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
rosanne91
Mouseketeer

What do you think??

We have been to Disney plenty of times, but when our family became 5 our choices of places to stay dropped. We love the AKL but upgrading to a larger room could be stretching the budget just a bit. As I was looking at prices and comparing rooms,I started chatting with Disney's online help.
I questioned why i could fit 5 people (one is a 2 year old) in a value but not in a standard room at ALK. SHe advised me to leave the baby off of the reservation and book AKL. When I asked about the magical express she said I would not have a problem getting him on the bus. That makes me nervous. WHat do you think

1986 Off Site
1987 Off Site
1988 Off Site
1990 OFF Site
2004 All Star Music
2006 All Star Music
2007 Pop Centry
2008 Pop Century
2009 Caribbean Beach
2010 All Star Music, Caribbean Beach

2012 Caribbean Beach
2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Christmas 2013 Pop Century
rosanne91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #19
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosanne91 View Post
We have been to Disney plenty of times, but when our family became 5 our choices of places to stay dropped. We love the AKL but upgrading to a larger room could be stretching the budget just a bit. As I was looking at prices and comparing rooms,I started chatting with Disney's online help. I questioned why i could fit 5 people (one is a 2 year old) in a value but not in a standard room at ALK. SHe advised me to leave the baby off of the reservation and book AKL. When I asked about the magical express she said I would not have a problem getting him on the bus. That makes me nervous. WHat do you think
As long as your little one is less than 3 at travel time, it is fine. You can call and book it with all 5 but for some reason, you can't book that online.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
wickersham
Earning My Ears

We're also a family of five with three teen DDs. We've done Ft. Wilderness cabins, POR multiple times, and two connecting rooms at Pop most recently over New Year's. The best set up with older kids has been the two rooms at Pop--two bathrooms are great, not to mention having night owls in one room so those of us who prefer an early evening can turn out the lights and sleep. While we enjoyed Pop, we felt it lacked the magic of even the moderate resorts and probably wouldn't stay there again. On the plus side, the bus service was excellent and the rooms were fairly quiet.
wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #21
JCornell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose66 View Post
I also have a family of 5. I really enjoyed the family suites at AoA!

I would not recommend POR. I just returned from a trip that consisted of DD 3 and my mom and myself and it was fine for us, however, I don't think I would cram my family of 5 in there!

DH really wants to try offsite. We are looking into renting at Windsor Hills for our next family vacation. You get 3+ bedrooms for around the price of a mod.
Since family harmony is important, I'd avoid cramming 5 into a regular room. Either two rooms or a suite will be a much nicer option. The extra bathroom and space are worth it for us.

Also, if off-site is an option, we did Windsor Hills a few years ago and it was awesome! We had a large townhouse, each kid had their own bedroom, we had our own small pool and washer/dryer and were very close to Disney property. We generally stay on-site but this was a great alternative.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: