Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #721
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No tipping at kiosks. Full service bars, yes; kiosks, no. Workers at the kiosks are not classified as bartenders. There can be full service bars that look like kiosks, such as High Octane Refreshments at DHS. That place has bartenders. They make good drinks, too. But the folks at the kiosks who don't mix any drinks, who only pour wine or beer or extract a pre-mixed drink from a machine, no, they're not tipped.

I have never seen a tip jar on any kiosk inside the WDW parks and I've been to all the ones at Epcot for sure. Allowing tip jars in the parks sounds like something Disney would not do. Has anyone noticed if the Starbucks at WDW have tip jars? It's standard for Starbucks to have them usually. However, the employees at the WDW Starbucks are considered WDW employees and not Starbucks employees, so they would do whatever WDW would do.

Do not pressure CMs to take tips if they decline. If they say they will get in trouble if they accept them, it is probably true.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 02-12-2014 at 12:49 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #722
marg1974
Earning My Ears

Interesting thanks
marg1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #723
sjw211
Mouseketeer

How exactly do the gratuity amounts work?
We'll be arriving in August (4 of us) and have the dining plan.
I assume a bill where we have nothing extra would be $0.
Does it calculate the bill based on what it would have cost - and give a suggested amount (is it 18% now?)?
If we had extras (drinks, apps etc.), I assume that amount would just be added to the other 'theoretical' amount and the gratuity would be calculated against that amount?
Do you actually write the amount of your gratuity - and it can just be charged to your room?
I have no problems with gratuities (18% is higher than typical UK levels..) as long as the service is good. If you're not particularly enamoured by the service, are you still free to leave a lower amount or is that really bad? Speaking of 'really bad', what if the service was really bad - are you still obliged to leave one anyway? Hopefully that will never happen though!!
What if the tip says for example $22.56 - leaving a $20 is not enough (?) and you give $25 and wait for change?

Thanks!
sjw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #724
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw211 View Post
How exactly do the gratuity amounts work?
We'll be arriving in August (4 of us) and have the dining plan.
I assume a bill where we have nothing extra would be $0.
Does it calculate the bill based on what it would have cost - and give a suggested amount (is it 18% now?)?
If we had extras (drinks, apps etc.), I assume that amount would just be added to the other 'theoretical' amount and the gratuity would be calculated against that amount?
Do you actually write the amount of your gratuity - and it can just be charged to your room?
I have no problems with gratuities (18% is higher than typical UK levels..) as long as the service is good. If you're not particularly enamoured by the service, are you still free to leave a lower amount or is that really bad? Speaking of 'really bad', what if the service was really bad - are you still obliged to leave one anyway? Hopefully that will never happen though!!
What if the tip says for example $22.56 - leaving a $20 is not enough (?) and you give $25 and wait for change?

Thanks!
You will get a check that will have all the prices listed and a total. Beneath that there will be 2 suggested tip amounts, one for 18% and one for 20%. These are suggested amounts and you are free to put whatever amount you think is appropriate on the line. That amount can then be charged to your room. The server will deduct your dining plan credits, charge the amount to your room and then you will have to sign for it.
If you choose to leave cash and need change, simply ask the server for change and then leave whatever amount you want for the tip. If you just put money in the check book they are just going to assume that is their tip unless you ask for change.
Hopefully you won't have bad service but if you do then don't wait until tip time to sort it out. Ask for a manager and explain what you are unhappy with. Give the server and the manager the chance to turn it around.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #725
sjw211
Mouseketeer

Thanks, great advice.
sjw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #726
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
You will get a check that will have all the prices listed and a total. Beneath that there will be 2 suggested tip amounts, one for 18% and one for 20%. These are suggested amounts and you are free to put whatever amount you think is appropriate on the line. That amount can then be charged to your room. The server will deduct your dining plan credits, charge the amount to your room and then you will have to sign for it. If you choose to leave cash and need change, simply ask the server for change and then leave whatever amount you want for the tip. If you just put money in the check book they are just going to assume that is their tip unless you ask for change. Hopefully you won't have bad service but if you do then don't wait until tip time to sort it out. Ask for a manager and explain what you are unhappy with. Give the server and the manager the chance to turn it around.
After the dining credits are taken off from my MagicBands, can I then pay the tip with a Disney gift card? I don't see why not, just double checking.

Nevermind! I found the answer!

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #727
alktdknckmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
The server will scan your band and then present you with a check. Write CASH in the tip line, the server will run your credits and present you with the copy to sign, simply sign it and put the cash in the book. Nothing has really changed except that you no longer give them a KTTW card.
So if you are paying the tip with cash you write that on the tip line and hand it to the server or put it in the book, but if you want it charged to your room, you just put the $ amount and they know automatically to use your band info? And I assume this is something you set up with Disney ahead of time regarding how to charge certain incidentals?

Thanks!
alktdknckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #728
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLyn View Post
After the dining credits are taken off from my MagicBands, can I then pay the tip with a Disney gift card? I don't see why not, just double checking.

Nevermind! I found the answer!
It is easier if you pay off your room charge with the gift card. I tried paying tips with a gift card before, and it seemed to cause some confusion. My last trip I just put everything on my room, and then went and paid that off with gift cards.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #729
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alktdknckmom View Post
So if you are paying the tip with cash you write that on the tip line and hand it to the server or put it in the book, but if you want it charged to your room, you just put the $ amount and they know automatically to use your band info? And I assume this is something you set up with Disney ahead of time regarding how to charge certain incidentals?

Thanks!
yes, you connect a charge card to your reservation. This can be done at check in at your resort, if you don't do it prior to arrival. At a TS restaurant, when your MB is scanned it tells the server if you have charging privledges.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #730
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It is easier if you pay off your room charge with the gift card. I tried paying tips with a gift card before, and it seemed to cause some confusion. My last trip I just put everything on my room, and then went and paid that off with gift cards.
Super! Thanks!

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #731
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Is a cash tip preferred over credit/room charge

Hi just wondering from a Server Point of view, is a cash tip preferred over credit/room Charge?

I had a Server friend tell me she preferred cash ( I think she wasnt claiming all on her taxes).
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #732
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
Hi just wondering from a Server Point of view, is a cash tip preferred over credit/room Charge?

I had a Server friend tell me she preferred cash ( I think she wasnt claiming all on her taxes).
I'm a server (although not at WDW) and I do have a slight preference for cash tips since we have to give 3% of the tip to the credit card company on credit card tips. In all honesty, though, it's not that big of a deal.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #733
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to comment on the receipts and DP. I noticed the first receipt showed all the charges as if no dining plan. You see then the amount to base tip. Then a neww receipt would come with the dining plan taken in account. Zeros.

I'd like to keep the original as after my trip i like to know if i saved with DP. But these original receipts seem to disappear when the new one came. If this is important to know. Try and grab the first receipt or write down the original total on the new receipt.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #734
mom2of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post

Doesn't matter as long as you do. Cash tips prove income so most claim all of them anyway
Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #735
zdad
Tagless since 2005 !

What is the suggested approach for tipping at Be Our Guest for Lunch. It is a counter service meal, but it is delivered to you on china. I am inclined to tip but should it be the full ~18-20% or something else? Also, would you leave it on the table or hand it directly to the server that brings your meal?

Anyone that has been at BOG lunch....insight appreciated.
1988 - 2nd Honeymoon (DTD)
1992 to 1995 - AP holder (lived in Windemere,FL)
June 2005 - the Great Family Vacation (WL)
April 2007 - 25th Anniversary Honeymoon (WL)
April 2014 - Our 1st Retirement Vacation (WL)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to be a monorail driver !!!!
zdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: