Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #31
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 19,926

1) The MAIN REASON for closure is the Disney Springs demolition.
2) However, at this time they do not if they will remain at WDW.
3) At all.
4) There is just not that much call for upscale gluten-free items, etc.
5) Time will tell.
6) Film at Eleven . . . . . .
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #32
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyFansInLINY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,019

My sister is gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, etc. She loves Babycakes. In fact she was working in Ocala, Fl last week with her fiance. She begged him to take a break and go to Disney for 2 days just so she could go to Babycakes. I told her good thing you got to go because it turns out that will be your last visit there. She was so upset. She was already back in Ocala working when I told her. Had she known, she would have stocked up.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #33
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!
 
Denine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
They would either have to build a new kitchen facility or completely retrofit an existing location. Either way, it would be VERY costly. I have designed commercial kitchens. I have priced what it takes to "build" a commercial kitchen. It is not cheap. That cost will them be passed on to the customer. Are you willing to pay those costs?

And I am not trying to be rude, but your child not "liking" a specific brand isn't really a reason for Disney to change. Plenty of people DO like those brands just fine. There is no way for Disney to carry every product just to make every customer happy. That is impossible.
People with special dietary needs should be able to have what others have, not just pre -packaged stuff. Disney is fully capable of affording to accomdate this need. People come to WDW from all over the world because they know they can eat safely here. Being able to get special bakery will only enhance that.
__________________
DVC '95
Disney Magic 4-99 Disney Magic 10-16-04
Disney Wonder 1-00 Disney Magic 8-20-05
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #34
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!
 
Denine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) The MAIN REASON for closure is the Disney Springs demolition.
2) However, at this time they do not if they will remain at WDW.
3) At all.
4) There is just not that much call for upscale gluten-free items, etc.
5) Time will tell.
6) Film at Eleven . . . . . .
Babycakes was hidden in a building with another QS place. Their name isn't even on the outside of the building, at least not when we were there last. If you didn't know it was there, why would you go looking for it? It was set up to fail in that regard. If it had it's own stand alone place, more people would know it was there and buy what they have to offer.
__________________
DVC '95
Disney Magic 4-99 Disney Magic 10-16-04
Disney Wonder 1-00 Disney Magic 8-20-05
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #35
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
People with special dietary needs should be able to have what others have, not just pre -packaged stuff. Disney is fully capable of affording to accomdate this need. People come to WDW from all over the world because they know they can eat safely here. Being able to get special bakery will only enhance that.
While it's certainly nice if that can happen, there is no kind of legal requirement, and therefore, market rules apply. What Disney can or can't afford is (or should be) irrelevant. It will be based on what makes financial sense, and if they don't believe that they will see an adequate ROI in an allergy bakery, they would be foolish to build and operate one.
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #36
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
People with special dietary needs should be able to have what others have, not just pre -packaged stuff. Disney is fully capable of affording to accomdate this need. People come to WDW from all over the world because they know they can eat safely here. Being able to get special bakery will only enhance that.
Sure they can have what others have if they will pay for it. But the question is are they willing to pay what it will cost?

Disney is a business and they have to make money . If they could make the same amount of money they would be doing it. I just don't think the market would bear the cost. Look at the markup on a rice krispy treat, now apply that to specialty allergy items which cost a lot more to make.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #37
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 193

My DD no longer has a lot of the food allergies she once had, but at one point we couldn't even order from Babycakes because she developed an allergy to potatoes and they use potato starch. So, should I have expected WDW to offer fresh baked items with even less of the common food allergens then Babycakes items? It's just unrealistic to expect them to cater to every single dietary restriction. Sure it would be great, but it won't happen. I miss some of the brands they used to carry, but we've resorted to bringing our own.
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #38
scoutie
DIS Veteran
 
scoutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 849

Quote:
People come to WDW from all over the world because they know they can eat safely here.
I recall quite a few threads in the last few years started by people outraged that they ate at Babycakes and later developed allergy symptoms. I recall people on these thread calling for lawsuits. The business probably decided it wasn't worth it.

My son has a peanut allergy. It's not up to Disney to make products that he can eat. It's up to me to do my research and accommodate my child myself.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #39
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Did you also offer to pay the extra charge doing this would be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Sure they can have what others have if they will pay for it. But the question is are they willing to pay what it will cost?

Disney is a business and they have to make money . If they could make the same amount of money they would be doing it. I just don't think the market would bear the cost. Look at the markup on a rice krispy treat, now apply that to specialty allergy items which cost a lot more to make.
Do you for some reason think people have not been buying more expensive allergy products?
Most of the allergy items do not cost more to make. Honestly, we often pay more for things made with less expensive ingredients. When the allergy meal is created by leaving things out, by your logic Disney should be paying me back for all the food they skipped out on serving. Specifically looking at your rice krispy treat example, there are many ways to make a same or lower cost option for people with allergies. With items of that nature we are looking at cost differences of pennies, a small percentage difference, so the argument that cost is the remaining factor is rather absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
They would either have to build a new kitchen facility or completely retrofit an existing location. Either way, it would be VERY costly. I have designed commercial kitchens. I have priced what it takes to "build" a commercial kitchen. It is not cheap. That cost will them be passed on to the customer. Are you willing to pay those costs?

And I am not trying to be rude, but your child not "liking" a specific brand isn't really a reason for Disney to change. Plenty of people DO like those brands just fine. There is no way for Disney to carry every product just to make every customer happy. That is impossible.
Seeing as how I price stainless steel rooms for a living, I feel confident chiming in here to say that the cost of a kitchen for this sort of thing is not significant. Disney builds/relocates/retrofits this sort of equipment on a scale frequency that this truly would be a drop in the bucket. So the baking facility needs another room that is free from a set list of items. Making a room free of egg (or whatever you want to insert there) is no more complicated than making a room free of cyanide.

I agree with you that Disney can't be worried about personal choices of which brands somebody likes, when you build up a standard that the average guest is getting 5-6 options per place they go- nobody should have to be on property for a week at a time with ONE exact same item being the only thing they are ever offered. My DS gets offered the exact same cookie everywhere we go- and he is allergic to it! They have zero alternatives, it is "regular food? if no -> that one allergy cookie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
While it's certainly nice if that can happen, there is no kind of legal requirement, and therefore, market rules apply. What Disney can or can't afford is (or should be) irrelevant. It will be based on what makes financial sense, and if they don't believe that they will see an adequate ROI in an allergy bakery, they would be foolish to build and operate one.
Yes. I disagree that it wouldn't get a return though. You eat more desserts on vacation. People who can't get any dessert at home, buy even more. On our last trip we easily spent over $100 at Babycakes, plus the club lounge was giving DS 2-3 items/day. That would not happen at home and we are not the only ones. Every time we were there we had to wait in line and it was a slow season. The babycakes wait was as bad as many of our ride waits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
I recall quite a few threads in the last few years started by people outraged that they ate at Babycakes and later developed allergy symptoms. I recall people on these thread calling for lawsuits. The business probably decided it wasn't worth it.

My son has a peanut allergy. It's not up to Disney to make products that he can eat. It's up to me to do my research and accommodate my child myself.
I haven't seen any threads about Babycakes and reactions. I just searched for it and came up empty.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't research and accommodate their own needs. It always sucks to finally have something and have it taken away. Babycakes hasn't always been around, but before they were Disney used to do more. Once they got there, Disney chefs stopped making baked treats and instead had Babycakes items. If they don't go back to baking it will be really sad for my son. There are no stores that make cookies, cupcakes or doughnuts he can have besides babycakes. None. We will go on our yearly vacation and he will go around the parks watching other kids have baked goods and Mickey treats and he will have nothing. I can make him some before we leave home, but we don't have any recipes that keep well so he will run out around day 3. What then, hand him a box of mix and a spoon? It isn't Disney's "problem", but it's completely reasonable to be upset and sad that they may not be there in the future. It's reasonable to be annoyed that this place that sets you up to be in their little bubble, where outside items are a hassle to get, has nothing to offer him especially when they assure you before arrival not to worry because they have it covered.

Nobody is saying Disney needs to give them anything. People are upset because a store that gave them an amazing ability to walk into a shop and get something is going away. People who are willing to go and buy the product.
__________________
Me(33) DH(33) DD(11) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #40
blingbowsparkles
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
good point….I sent letters to Disney and just now sent one to Babycakes. Honestly, if there will be no more Babycakes then Disney needs to come up with an alternative for those with multiple allergies. I told Disney Enjoy Life products are not a treat-we get them at our local grocery store and they get packed with school lunch. I also emphasized that those with multiple allergies deserve a FRESHLY made treat-not a boxed or frozen treat…...
WOW!! We are a family with food allergies and 2 very dedicated Vegans and it has never even crossed my mind that a restaurant , theme park , hotel, school ect... is responsible for providing us with a FRESHLY made treat. You do realize that not being able to eat a cupcake in Disney isn't/shouldn't ruin you vacation and for most people those with special dietary issues this wouldn't even show up on their radar. Disney is a business solely based on making money not a non profit charitable organization.
__________________
blingbowsparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #41
scoutie
DIS Veteran
 
scoutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 849

Quote:
I haven't seen any threads about Babycakes and reactions. I just searched for it and came up empty
There were two that I recall which got quite heated. I think one was in the restaurant forums? I searched "Babycakes" as well, and there were pages and pages of threads with the name Babycakes in it. If I have time later, I'll sift through them to show you what I'm talking about.


Edited to add: Here's one thread about how Babycakes "falsely" advertises they are allergen-free. This isn't the thread I'm remembering, but a simple search turns up this: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...cakes+reaction

Last edited by scoutie; 03-08-2014 at 09:25 AM.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #42
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
There were two that I recall which got quite heated. I think one was in the restaurant forums? I searched "Babycakes" as well, and there were pages and pages of threads with the name Babycakes in it. If I have time later, I'll sift through them to show you what I'm talking about.


Edited to add: Here's one thread about how Babycakes "falsely" advertises they are allergen-free. This isn't the thread I'm remembering, but a simple search turns up this: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...cakes+reaction
Two is different than quite a few. I found plenty of threads where somebody talks about Babycakes and a totally unrelated allergy reaction somewhere else, or how they won't eat there because they don't like or had an issue in the past with Bob's flours. That is not the same thing as Babycakes causing the reaction.
Your post made it seem like Babycakes is a common problem, which I do not believe is true. I usually check this board at least once a day specifically to see updates about allergy issuesso I guess I thought I would know if people were coming to the boards in droves to complain Babycakes caused them to require medical care and threatening to sue. With the frequency allergy people eat an item from that particular place if there are two allergy incidents that is a really good track record for any dining establishment, including those at Disney.

Either way it doesn't stop the fact that it's sad they might not be there, especially if Disney is not going to offer anything else. They can hardly continue to offer dining plans and behave like they have all inclusive options if they are phasing out serving food many people can eat. Nobody is going to convince me it is ridiculous to ask for allergy options until they go on a week long vacation eating identical lunches and dinners every day with the same seasonings and paying the same prices as people getting a wide variety. I don't mean just eat chicken every meal, eat the exact same pan fried chicken with salt and pepper, steamed rice, and plain rice ice cream - then tell me it's crazy to ask for variation.They had the products and discontinued them- it's not that they aren't out there and they often aren't more expensive than what others are getting, it's just an arbitrary weird choice made by people who don't have to live with it.
__________________
Me(33) DH(33) DD(11) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #43
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
Do you for some reason think people have not been buying more expensive allergy products?
Most of the allergy items do not cost more to make.

You're saying when you go into a grocery store gluten free flour and mixes aren't more expensive? that specially made "rice Krispies" aren't more expensive than mass produced ones? That soy milk isn't higher than reg milk, Don't believe you. And we are talking about bakery product not substituting green beans for creamed cauliflower.

Then add on the extra cost for special cleaning, storage, training and added insurance.

Bottom line Babycakes wasn't making money for Disney.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #44
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran
 
SteveMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Bottom line Babycakes wasn't making money for Disney.
I thought Babycakes was a tenant, not Disney-owned. There are locations in NYC and LA.
SteveMouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #45
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMouse View Post
I thought Babycakes was a tenant, not Disney-owned. There are locations in NYC and LA.
but they must not have been generating the amount of business and foot traffic that Disney would want to make a place for them.

Like finding a place for Starbucks within the MK
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: