Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #46
ThisIsMyName
Earning My Ears

How the heck did you keep track of which band/ticket had which ride time? Did you have a spreadsheet or what? And making changes must be a nightmare. . we had a group of 5 people and managing 5 FP+ was a headache. . .finding one set of tix to scan is hard enough . . I can't imagine being "Oh wait the red bands work for at 3pm for Peter Pan and the blue bands work at 5:15 for space mountain. . " I give you credit for being organized.

We didn't even think to bring my parents tix into the park the day they went to seaworld to try and get FP with them. We just assumed they needed to be activated at the entry gate to work. There are tons of families that buy 5-7 day passes and not all members go to a park each day. That's a lot of extra FP+
ThisIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #47
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
9 FP for Captain EO, Figment, Stitch, Studio Backlot Tour, Indiana Jones, and whatever might be left, . . . . or three headliners where the FP really matters. An easy choice indeed.
Thing is he's not getting just left overs. I promise you he could walk up today at MK and get Space Mountain for later today. If it's a busy day at DHS, he could always get two or three sets for Star Tours, ToT, and GMR. Those would be huge time savers.

Also, going forward, a person could buy two sets of tickets and set up two independent MDE accounts, and get two sets of bands. That way they could always have two sets of FP+ that could be setup in advance. Like I said, you use one set of bands to enter, leave, and re-enter using the other set. Boom, you just doubled your FP+. Is it expensive? Yes, but if you're already paying 10K for a trip then what's another $500. Your time is worth money also, so standing in line is a losing proposition.
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #48
DisneyChristmas
Mouseketeer since '55

I can see it now...guests walking around with strings of MBs up their arms like "Rolex" dealers on the streets in NYC.
DisneyChristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #49
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyName View Post
How the heck did you keep track of which band/ticket had which ride time?

We made all the first time slots in one land/area, the second in another, and the third in another. So you do PP at 10:50, Pooh at 11:00, and Small World at 11:10 (using three different sets of unlinked bands or tickets). Then you have lunch and do the Tomorrowland FPs in the afternoon (using the second time slots on the same three sets of bands).

And yes, you now need a FP for Small World. Last week there was a 30 minute standby line for Small World. That's what FP+ has done -- created long standby waits for rides that you used to be able to walk on.

Making FP+ changes is a headache no matter what. And it is going to be worse with multiple sets.

If you want to maximize your chances of making changes, you *don't* want to link all the tickets of your party into one group. If you have a teenager who really wants Space Mountain and doesn't mind riding alone, he in all probability can make a FP for it at any time of the day (though he may have to go back to the kiosks a few times to catch one) if he is looking as a "single rider" at the kiosks. Once you group the tickets with each other, you'll only be offered FPs if there are enough available on the given attraction for the whole party.

The FP+ system will allow you to make changes for one person in the party at a time (whether pre-grouped on MBs or individual tickets were linked that day at the kiosks), but we found consistently that when you did that, the system did NOT offer favorable choices for the one person (even though we were asking for "single rider" options). Conversely, we were nearly always offered great choices when we kept the tickets separate from each other. Usually, it wasn't a problem finding time slots that overlapped. And they will give a 5 minute grace period on either side. The cast members will not allow a rider on if there is no FP+ on their media at all. But they will sometimes be flexible about the times. (If three people in a party have the same time slot and the other is 15 minutes off, they may let the fourth person in 15 minutes early to stay with their party.)

This is another reason to consider not linking tickets to MBs/MDE (until Disney requires it to be done!) -- FP+ kiosks offer better choices to individual tickets. The system "knows" if you have a party, even if you're asking for changes to just one person in the party. This is another glitch -- and one which hopefully will be changed.

This might be a good option for people without younger children or a group that enjoys dividing into small groups or going off on their own for some rides.

If you want to stay together as a group, then link your tickets to the MDE and pre-book your FP reservations. And try hard not to change your plans!

Last edited by ScrapYap; 03-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.
ScrapYap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #50
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
I wouldn't concern yourself too much. Its a glitch and i bet disney will fix it very soon just like the fact that old room keys would spit out FP- for a while in there. Its awesome for those that can use it while it lasts!
Well, now that the "secret" is out on this board, it will be gone tout de suite!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #51
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post
Once you group the tickets with each other, you'll only be offered FPs if there are enough available on the given attraction for the whole party.
This doesn't make sense to me. Every time I made changes to a FP+ reservation I was asked to check off which people in the group I wanted to make the change for. If I selected 2 out of the 4 people in our group, why would it only offer us FP+ if there were enough for the whole group of 4 registered together? That doesn't make any sense...

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #52
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Or better yet, keep your tickets and pre reservation abilities and then make a campground tent site reservation for $50 and put 10 people on it. Now for $5 per band you have 10 extra magic bands not linked to tickets that you can use. Make another reservation and get 10 more. Assign each one a number where you can put in a name and you are good to go. Better yet: If you go with a party of 4 you can name them Mary1 John1 Mark1 and Debbie1 and Mary2 John2 Mark2 and Debbie2. Link them together on a separate MDE account and you can make group FP reservations on the day of your visit.

There will always be work arounds. I was able to use old expired Legacy FPs by showing valid ones in the front and then swapping them for the expired ones at the second spot in the line. The person collecting them would never look at them. If I saw them looking at them, I would put 1 valid one on top. It worked every time...
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #53
Golf4283
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post
If you haven't done it yet, you might want to consider not making the link between your park passes and resort reservations. Keep your park tickets separate from all resort reservations and MDE accounts you may have.

This does mean you can't make advance FP+.

The valuable trade off is that it also means you can have as many sets of FPs as you have Magic Bands - plus a set of FPs on your park passes.

To make FP+ selections at park kiosks, we recently used two sets of bands from months ago as well as a set from a resort stay that was still a week away at the time. You can also make a set on your park tickets at the kiosks. That gave us each 12 FPs every day from the park kiosks. Making different sets at different times of day brought up a variety of attractions (since people are constantly moving their FP times, making their times available -- for instance, you might well get a Toy Story Mania FP at a kiosk in the late afternoon when another guest has freed it up).

And if you want to park hop, you would use only one set of MBs at the first park and reserve others for the second park. (You can only get FPs from one park if your tickets are linked to your MDE).

For some people, keeping the park tickets separate from resort reservations might work best. You would also need to remember to make each resort reservation under a separate MDE account so that each set of bands is entitled to separate FP selections.
I'm skipping all the responses because this is disgusting. The fact that someone would take the time to actually try to manipulate the system in this way makes me sick. I I I, ME ME ME.

Unbelievable.

I have nothing further to add to this conversation but I just had to respond.

Edit: I just e-mailed Disney customer support with this information. Hopefully this loophole can be closed quickly.

Last edited by Golf4283; 03-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Golf4283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #54
ThisIsMyName
Earning My Ears

And then there's if you have a child that is let's say 5-ish or under they don't need a FP+ at all because CM aren't going grill every small child without a FP+ if they are under 3 years old or not. That frees up their FP+ for the whole day!

Too bad my kids are tall or I could sneak the 6 year past. . . she's "almost 3" right. . .
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #55
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
I wouldn't concern yourself too much. Its a glitch and i bet disney will fix it very soon just like the fact that old room keys would spit out FP- for a while in there. Its awesome for those that can use it while it lasts!
Quote:
Well, now that the "secret" is out on this board, it will be gone tout de suite!
Quote:
Edit: I just e-mailed Disney customer support with this information. Hopefully this loophole can be closed quickly.
I rest my case...
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #56
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4283 View Post
I'm skipping all the responses because this is disgusting. The fact that someone would take the time to actually try to manipulate the system in this way makes me sick. I I I, ME ME ME.

Unbelievable.

I have nothing further to add to this conversation but I just had to respond.

It will be changed sooner rather than later. Remember the KtP loophole that he found..that went away as far as I know. I think there are a lot of things they are letting go while they are still building this system, but everything will be tightened up.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #57
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. Every time I made changes to a FP+ reservation I was asked to check off which people in the group I wanted to make the change for. If I selected 2 out of the 4 people in our group, why would it only offer us FP+ if there were enough for the whole group of 4 registered together? That doesn't make any sense...
It doesn't make sense. But we used the system very exhaustively in order to understand it. (And being annoyed with the system, we do feel inclined to learn to "work" what it will allow for now.)

As an example, we stood at the same kiosk to test availability for Toy Story Mania. On a park ticket, we were offered a 6:00 pm individual time slot (but didn't take it). Then we tried immediately after for a TSM for one person individually (out of a group) on a MB. We were not offered any TSM for that one person of the group. Then we went back to the ticket (not grouped with any other tickets) and the TSM was still there for 6:00 pm. The system can't truly separate one person from a group, though it's supposed to (and hopefully eventually will).

A similar glitch is the system's inability to add a top tier attraction if/when one becomes available later if you accept the assignment of only two (low tier) FPs when you first go to the kiosk at the Studios. This is a bad glitch. If the top tier attractions become available (and they do -- though being at the kiosks at the right time isn't necessarily easy), they should offer one to a guest that arrived at 11:00 a.m. and got their two low tier FPs. But it *won't.*

So when you arrive at the Studios, if you walk up to the kiosks and can't get a top tier, don't get any. Just say you'll try again later. 10 minutes later you could stop by and some top tier will be offered. Grab it. Later, you can change it to a different top tier (if you are "single rider," you are much more likely to get changes made). But if you don't get a top tier (any top tier) when you first get your FPs for that day, you will never get it that day. The cast members confirmed that this is how it works (but they won't warn you when you're getting your two FPs -- though for some people, they may be happy with their two and should get them while they can).

Last edited by ScrapYap; 03-07-2014 at 10:37 AM.
ScrapYap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #58
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Free speech is a great thing, and it's great that the DIS is a place where people can exchange ideas and information about the way things work at Disney. This is the way things work right now. Disney already knows it. They'll probably change it.

Kohls knows that people don't really have a 30% off coupon when they go to the check out and say they'd like to use the 30% off coupon but don't have it with them. They give you the 30% off anyway. Kohls knows that people are working the system -- but they are getting those people to spend money. Just like Disney is getting us to spend our money there.

We are all entitled to our opinions. It's important that information can be shared. And it's sad when people are afraid to talk about things because others will become angry.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #59
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

I think what they are saying is to purchase your park tickets separately. Not as part of a package with the room.

Works great, unless you want a dining plan or a discount that applies only to packages, like free dining.

Quote:
And if you want to park hop, you would use only one set of MBs at the first park and reserve others for the second park.
Are not all bands assigned to you linked to one account? Is the suggestion regarding having multiple accounts? (Edited now that I see the OP is indeed suggesting having multiple MDX accounts)

Quote:
And then there's if you have a child that is let's say 5-ish or under they don't need a FP+ at all because CM aren't going grill every small child without a FP+ if they are under 3 years old or not. That frees up their FP+ for the whole day!
I take it this suggestion is to pass off your children up to age 5 as two year olds, because they won't ask. Not sure I'd recommend that.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 03-07-2014 at 10:46 AM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #60
ThisIsMyName
Earning My Ears

We were told we always had to pick 3 even if we didn't want it. I don't think changing your Tier 1 choice would show different options than picking a new one to start. . that doesn't make sense. It may be that picking a new time to start doesn't conflict with other time choices that's why you have less options.

It seemed to us the availability just chages very quickly. You can overlap times within your group as well (just not same ticket) so I don't see why a single, non grouped ticket would show different options than rebooking 1 rider within your group.

I'd just wait the 1 hour for Toy Story ride over checking back a bunch of times of an opening. . We liked the singing Mr. Potato Head!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: