Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #16
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM POPPINS View Post
Interesting indeed I don't understand are all your magic bands associated with the same ticket... but different mde accounts.. I don't see how this works please explain?
The magic bands are NOT associated with the same ticket. This is the important part. They are not associated with ANY ticket. They are just Magic Bands from your past, current, or future resort stay. You don't have to link tickets to your MDE. Just use it to make ADRs and manage your resort reservation. You don't use the Magic Band to enter the park, you use your park ticket. You just use the Magic Band at the FP+ kiosks after you enter the park with your ticket. And, separately, the park ticket. The MB will get a set of FPs, the park tickets will get a different set.

If you are getting the park passes as a package with your resort stay, this won't work. You want a free standing Magic Band and a free standing ticket -- not linked to each other.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #17
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post

The magic bands are NOT associated with the same ticket. This is the important part. They are not associated with ANY ticket. They are just Magic Bands from your past, current, or future resort stay. You don't have to link tickets to your MDE. Just use it to make ADRs and manage your resort reservation. You don't use the Magic Band to enter the park, you use your park ticket. You just use the Magic Band at the FP+ kiosks after you enter the park with your ticket. And, separately, the park ticket. The MB will get a set of FPs, the park tickets will get a different set.

If you are getting the park passes as a package with your resort stay, this won't work. You want a free standing Magic Band and a free standing ticket -- not linked to each other.
So my old set of MBs were linked to a package (resort/ticket/dining) in Sept 2013. But my two new sets of MBs are (or will be when they get here) room only reservations. I haven't bought tickets yet, and I definitely won't link them if you think this will work.

Do you think the fact that the MBs once were linked to a package (park days long since used up) ruins it?
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
FLchick415
DIS Veteran

I'm not trying to be snarky, but wouldn't this go against the whole capacity thing people are always talking about?

~*All Star Movies*~*Port Orleans French Quarter*~*Wilderness Lodge*~*Pop Century(x3)*~*Caribbean Beach Jamaica*~*Countless other times off site*~
FLchick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM POPPINS View Post
Are you saying if you don't link a ticket to your mde then you never have to link it all.... making the reservation in the park does not make you connect your ticket to your band?
That's right. You are under no obligation to link your park tickets to your resort stay. And the Magic Bands are intended to work on and on -- for two years after your resort stay. The idea is, eventually, that you'll be encouraged to return with the same MBs. (Which we will all do when they start charging for MBs!)

You enter the park with your park passes. (If you haven't linked your tickets to your MBs, your MBs wouldn't work to get you into the park, obviously.) Then you walk up to the FP+ kiosk areas (which are not near the park entrances, btw -- which kind of surprised me) with any MBs and they work -- you don't enter a password or anything like that. It doesn't matter that you didn't use them to enter the park. They work at the kiosks all by themselves. You'll be offered various FP options. The cast members are extremely helpful and generally do all the manipulation on the screen for you. After you get the MB set of FP+, you use your park tickets for a separate set of FPs. I don't like to stand there and make the various sets at the same time because it's rude to hog the FP+ area. I usually make one set at a time. And an advantage to going back a little later (there are lots of changes in availability even in a few minutes) is that you'll be given different choices.

They don't print you a list of your FP times. You have to photograph the screen. When you do that, follow up with a photo of your MBs or your park ticket so you'll remember which FPs are associated with which set of bands or park passes.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
So my old set of MBs were linked to a package (resort/ticket/dining) in Sept 2013. But my two new sets of MBs are (or will be when they get here) room only reservations. I haven't bought tickets yet, and I definitely won't link them if you think this will work.

Do you think the fact that the MBs once were linked to a package (park days long since used up) ruins it?
I wouldn't concern yourself too much. Its a glitch and i bet disney will fix it very soon just like the fact that old room keys would spit out FP- for a while in there. Its awesome for those that can use it while it lasts!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I thought you needed a valid park ticket attached to the band/card to be able to book FP, whether on the app or the kiosk. So you just brought old bands with no ticket attached and they were able to book at the kiosk?
You only need the park ticket attached to book the FP online in advance of your stay. And people are obviously very interested in doing that. But you don't have to.

The old bands from previous resort stays never had tickets attached. They all worked to book FPs at the kiosks.

This is how it works right now. Maybe they'll change it. But since most people really like the option of booking in advance, they may not need to change it. Most people will just be linking the tickets.

This reminds me of the old days when paper fast passes never expired. Officially, they had an expiration time. Unofficially, any cast member would tell you that you could bring that piece of paper back at any time, even years later -- and as long as you were entering the attraction *after* the window opening time printed on the ticket, it would expire. I learned that unwritten policy here on the DIS! That was years ago when the parks weren't so crowded and they could be laid back about such things.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #22
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgsgirl View Post
Is there any way to "unlink" your tickets??
You'd have to cancel and rebook your resort stay. (Hey -- then you'd have an extra set of Magic Bands!) But that would be a lot of work. And the advance reservations are a much easier option. You don't have to get to the park early if you don't want to. Using the kiosks means getting there early. After about 11:00 a.m., it's trickier to get the "E ticket" rides.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
I thought old bands aren't active so how would this work?
The old bands are definitely active. For up to two years. (Only at the FP kiosks.)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #24
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
might be a loophole they have open because they are still testing with APs and offsite guests. like when FP- was operating along with FP+ and you could use media that wasn't scanned upon entry. If this actually works, I would imagine it will not for long.
Hard to say. You can still use park passes that were not used for park entry at the FP kiosks. That will surely be a loophole they will close. But the Magic Bands are different -- they want guests to bring them back for future resort stays. They're not going to just deactivate them. In time, if enough people are using multiple sets, they'll close the loophole. But if it's one of those DIS-type secrets, the loophole might stay open for a while.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #25
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
This is interesting for those of us who have multiple sets of bands for one reason or another. I wonder if we could link our tickets to MDE to prebook, and then use our old MBs in the parks to make more FP+ selections once there. Hmmmm....
I'm not sure how the prebooking would work if you didn't have a resort reservation. But if you link your tickets to a resort reservation in MDE to prebook, you'd lose the option of getting a second set of FPs on the tickets themselves. But of course, you'd be trading that for an prebooking. Then you use the old MBs for the extras.

Keeping the park tickets separate from the MBs will probably always guarantee you a second set of FPs -- even if they close up the loophole of the multiple sets of MBs.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #26
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post

I wouldn't concern yourself too much. Its a glitch and i bet disney will fix it very soon just like the fact that old room keys would spit out FP- for a while in there. Its awesome for those that can use it while it lasts!
It's not a glitch. It is the way the system was designed. It wasn't designed with power users who will figure out every way to 'break' the system. It just cannot process all possibilities and since a ticket doesn't need to be active or used for entry to work for FP+ the the OP's work around is very logical.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #27
Raenstoirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post
I'm not sure how the prebooking would work if you didn't have a resort reservation. But if you link your tickets to a resort reservation in MDE to prebook, you'd lose the option of getting a second set of FPs on the tickets themselves. But of course, you'd be trading that for an prebooking. Then you use the old MBs for the extras.

Keeping the park tickets separate from the MBs will probably always guarantee you a second set of FPs -- even if they close up the loophole of the multiple sets of MBs.
Doubtful, the only way this works long term is if you use different email address and completely separate MDE accounts and even so I don't see it sticking around long. All MBs past, present and future are automatically linked to your MDE account (some disers have 6 on their MDE at this point). You can use any one of them on any given day so you can color coordinate them with your outfits each day if you'd like. You do not have to use your current MB. It is very likely they will only let a MB with active tickets book at FP+s in the near future. So a MB linked to a MDE with no tickets will not be able to get FP+. I assume your glitch has to do with the AP switchover that is happening this week.

Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #28
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post

If you used the same email address (same MDE) to make the Sept 2013 reservation as you did for your two new reservations, then all the Magic Bands will be connected to the same set of people. It might be that the various sets of MBs would all go back to the same account and not work separately. My reservations were all made under different MDEs, so I don't know about that part. The new tickets will give you separate FPs if you don't link them.

There is the chance that Disney will close this up. So if advance reservations are important to you, definitely link your tickets and make them.

If you arrive at the parks early, though -- you can get practically any FPs you like. It was pretty busy over the last couple of weeks, but we were still able to get rides like Soarin' and Toy Story Mania. And we don't mind being flexible. So for us, not having advance bookings was no loss at all.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #29
Raenstoirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
It's not a glitch. It is the way the system was designed. It wasn't designed with power users who will figure out every way to 'break' the system. It just cannot process all possibilities and since a ticket doesn't need to be active or used for entry to work for FP+ the the OP's work around is very logical.
The ticket is not the issue. It is the MB. As some point soon, they will only allow MBs with active tickets attached to make FP+ even at a kiosk. The computer can see if there is a ticket attached or not very easily and just say no. Just like the online pre-booking knows if there is a ticket attached or not.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #30
lions1995
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
I wouldn't concern yourself too much. Its a glitch and i bet disney will fix it very soon...
You do realize you are talking about disney IT. It will take them a while to even understand the issue. I wonder if any of them have ever been to a disney park.
lions1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: