Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Maximize FP+ make new reservations under a new MDE*see post 227 before posting*

You can get a second set of FP+ if you make your new resort reservation on a different MDE than the one you used last time. If you do this, you can get a second set of MBs which will operate independently from your old set. With the new band, you can get FP+ -- *not* in advance (you can only get one set of those) but rather at the kiosks in the park.

The tricky part is that you have to have valid park tickets linked to an MDE to get advance AP+. If you're using the same tickets (annual passes, for example) that you used on your last visit, this won't work as easily. You'll want to make your resort reservations under the MDE with the park tickets, not a new MDE. So you would have to buy a new set of MBs to get a second set.

If you are using new tickets (or a new AP), make the resort reservation under a new MDE (not the MDE you used last time). Link your new tickets to your new MDE with the new reservation. Make your FP+ in advance ASAP. You'll receive a new set of MBs for that reservation. Then bring your old MBs (from your previous stay) with you to use them in the parks to make same-day FP+ (though availability may not be great). The old MBs can't be used to make FP+ in advance because they are not linked to valid tickets. But they *can* be used for same day FP+ at park kiosks (keep in mind that this may change at any time - which is why buying MBs for this purpose might not be a great idea).

Another way to get a spare set of MBs is if you are planning a split say. If you are making more than one resort reservation for the same trip, make each one under a separate MDE account (you just need separate email addresses to make extra MDE accounts - you don't need to use a different name or address). Then link your tickets to one of the MDEs so that you can pre-book FP+ on those MBs. Do *not* link tickets to the second MDE. You can then use the spare MBs for extra FP+ made same day (SDFP+!) in the parks. (Note that tickets can only be linked to one individual. You can't make a second MDE for the same person and separately link your tickets to the same person twice. You can't make more than one set of FP+ in advance for the same ticket.)

If you link all your reservations to the same MDE, the tickets and the MDEs will refer back to the same set of FP+. The MBs for all those reservations will be clones of each other. You can only get extra FP+ (made at the park kiosks) if you are using MBs that are not clones.

If you want to park hop, you would use only one set of MBs at the first park and reserve others (or your separately linked park tickets) for the second park. (You can get FPs from only one park if your tickets are linked to your MDE).

To make FP+ selections at park kiosks, we recently used two sets of bands from months ago as well as a set from a resort stay that was still a week away at the time. You can also make a set on your park tickets at the kiosks (if those tickets have not been linked to an MDE with a resort reservation).

That gave us each 12 FPs every day from the park kiosks. Visiting kiosks at different times of day brought up a variety of attractions (since people are constantly moving their FP times, making their times available -- for instance, you might well get a Toy Story Mania FP at a kiosk in the late afternoon when another guest has freed it up). There is no guarantee that you'll be lucky. And waiting in line at kiosks is time consuming.

The best scenario would be if you have a split stay (and make the two reservations under two separate MDEs and link tickets to one and use the second set of MBs for same-day FP at kiosks) or if you already have an old set of MBs which were linked to tickets that are now expired. Make your new reservation under a different MDE. Go ahead an link your new tickets to the new MDE/reservation in order to get FP+ in advance as an onsite guest. But bring your old MBs with you and try them at the kiosks in the park to see if they'll work to get another set of FP+. (You can't get FP+ in advance with the old bands, since you don't have an active ticket attached to them.)

If you are staying in a room that accommodates 5 people (for example), it might be a good idea to put 5 people on the reservation, even if only 3 will be present. That way, you'll have 2 extra MBs which would not have linked tickets but which could be used for same-day kiosk FP+. (Not *every person* on the reservation has to link tickets in order for other people on the reservation - who have linked tickets - to make FP+ reservations.) You also can't make FP+ in advance for everyone on the reservation by linking only a ticket for one person -- each person who wants FP+ in advance must have a linked ticket on MDE.

Be aware that when you visit a park kiosk for SDFP+, you will need each band from a set. Previously, you were able to use just one band from a reservation to make FP+ for any guest on that reservation. Now you need each band. You scan them one at a time, then make FP+ for the group. If you want a difficult-to-snag FP+, you might want to scan just two of the bands at a time. It's easier for the system to find you two FP+ together than four. And if you have four in your group, you won't be offered anything less than four. Then you can try back later for a second set for the other two people in your group.

Be aware that Disney may change the way the system operates before you arrive -- and you'll find that your MBs won't function unless your tickets are linked. At the moment, the system allows SDFP+ to be made with unlinked MBs that can be used as extra FP+.

However, the most important thing is to get your FP+ in advance by linking your tickets to your upcoming reservation. It would be miserable to try to use only SDFP+ as availability continues to shrink. So this won't work for guests who either:
1. Don't already have a set of MBs from a previous trip that are linked to old tickets
or
2. Don't plan a split stay (for which separate MDEs are used to book each stay and tickets are linked to only one of the MDEs).
or
3. Have already made their new reservation under their ticket-linked MDE. You can't unlink tickets (except for special event tickets) once they've been linked to an MDE.

At this time, Disney doesn't give you an option to refuse a set of Magic Bands for each stay. If you make 10reservations under the same MDE, you'll get 10 sets of MBs -- all of which will be linked to your tickets -- all will be clones of each other. You might have 10 different bands assigned to each person in your family -- but you can still only get one set of FP+ in advance. So it makes sense to maximize use of the bands they're going to send you anyway, by making some reservations under one or more separate MDEs (which do not have linked tickets). The MBs sent for those reservations will not be linked to tickets (so again, they can't be used for the golden advance FP+). If they're not linked to tickets, they're not clones.

Remember that the FP+ in advance are all you really want. These extras are just scraps. So it's not worth rebooking your reservation or even booking a throwaway room. But if you're going to get additional MBs anyway, then consider picking up a few scraps with SDFP+.

Go to page 36 of the thread for an illustration of how this might work for a family.

Last edited by ScrapYap; 10-16-2014 at 03:14 PM.
ScrapYap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

I thought you couldn't make FP+ selections unless you had tickets tied to MDE? I'm not sure I follow what you are saying about the old magic bands, as those are tied to the account as well.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

Interesting indeed I don't understand are all your magic bands associated with the same ticket... but different mde accounts.. I don't see how this works please explain?

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Bay Lake AKL and Boardwalk December 14

MOM POPPINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
dawgsgirl
DIS Veteran

Is there any way to "unlink" your tickets??
dawgsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
crazymomof4
DIS Veteran

subbing

9 nights. First time in a Deluxe for us!
crazymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

Are you saying if you don't link a ticket to your mde then you never have to link it all.... making the reservation in the park does not make you connect your ticket to your band?

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Bay Lake AKL and Boardwalk December 14

MOM POPPINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

I thought you needed a valid park ticket attached to the band/card to be able to book FP, whether on the app or the kiosk. So you just brought old bands with no ticket attached and they were able to book at the kiosk?
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."

Interesting. ... I have non - exp. tix from a previous trip on mbe. I just made a resort res. and noticed that is allowing me to order a second set of bans. I wondered if I could do this. Hope it's still an option in Sept! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer

This is really interesting! I wish I would have known this before I linked our room add a day reservation to my account this afternoon. As someone said, is there a way to unlink it? I will have 3 sets of bands by our trip in Sept, although what are the odds that they "fix" this "issue" by then?
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapYap View Post
If you haven't done it yet, you might want to consider not making the link between your park passes and resort reservations. Keep your park tickets separate from all resort reservations and MDE accounts you may have. This does mean you can't make advance FP+. The valuable trade off is that it also means you can have as many sets of FPs as you have Magic Bands - plus a set of FPs on your park passes. To make FP+ selections at park kiosks, we recently used two sets of bands from months ago as well as a set from a resort stay that was still a week away at the time. You can also make a set on your park tickets at the kiosks. That gave us each 12 FPs every day from the park kiosks. Making different sets at different times of day brought up a variety of attractions (since people are constantly moving their FP times, making their times available -- for instance, you might well get a Toy Story Mania FP at a kiosk in the late afternoon when another guest has freed it up). And if you want to park hop, you would use only one set of MBs at the first park and reserve others for the second park. (You can only get FPs from one park if your tickets are linked to your MDE). For some people, keeping the park tickets separate from resort reservations might work best. You would also need to remember to make each resort reservation under a separate MDE account so that each set of bands is entitled to separate FP selections.
I thought old bands aren't active so how would this work?

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
bwang123

might be a loophole they have open because they are still testing with APs and offsite guests. like when FP- was operating along with FP+ and you could use media that wasn't scanned upon entry. If this actually works, I would imagine it will not for long.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
nugov2
DIS Veteran

It will be a great perk while it lasts. I will be curious to see how this works for people and like the throwaway room...this will cause some differing feelings....some will be on while other will be
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
I thought old bands aren't active so how would this work?
Incorrect. All bands are active unless you've deactivated them in your account.

This is interesting for those of us who have multiple sets of bands for one reason or another. I wonder if we could link our tickets to MDE to prebook, and then use our old MBs in the parks to make more FP+ selections once there. Hmmmm....
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #14
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
Incorrect. All bands are active unless you've deactivated them in your account.

This is interesting for those of us who have multiple sets of bands for one reason or another. I wonder if we could link our tickets to MDE to prebook, and then use our old MBs in the parks to make more FP+ selections once there. Hmmmm....
Probably not ... from OP "remember to make each resort reservation under a separate MDE account so that each set of bands is entitled to separate FP selections. "

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
ScrapYap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybeth75 View Post
I thought you couldn't make FP+ selections unless you had tickets tied to MDE? I'm not sure I follow what you are saying about the old magic bands, as those are tied to the account as well.
To make FP+ *advance* reservations on MDE, you have to link tickets to your account. But then you only get three FPs per person.

For same day FPs, you can make FP+ selections at any park kiosk with any magic band or any park ticket. We just did it at all four parks. Any magic band. A cast member told me they are intended to work for two years. Once it's activated, it stays activated. Obviously it's not going to work on a resort room door or for charging purchases. But the MB does continue to work at FP+ kiosks in the park indefinitely (or for two years). And the MBs will work for the FP+ reservations you can make online for Beauty and the Beast counter service. (Not through the MDE page, but the link that's out there.)

So never throw away a Magic Band! Keep them for your next trip. A cast member told me that they will eventually start charging for them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: