Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle1997 View Post
I was offered a normal wheelchair. I did not really have the money for new batteries as they would cost over $400.00. Since before I could plug it into many outlets no problems I did not see the need to get a new battery. Just to fly to LA costs $700.00. So knowing I could go most of the day on a charge and top up never saw it as an issue. Even on a full battery if I spend all day at the park it needs a top up just to be safe.

It plugs into a normal home outlet. I really find it strange how so many feel it is ok to have to leave the park.

I am asking for one outlet in each park out of says hundreds of outlets they have.

I know if someone else had posted about this I would have showed understanding. So did the many people standing in line behind me at guest services. Strangers who thought it was not right either.

I never had to leave my chair before. I am asking for a working outlet in the park. I really can not believe the people posting most of these comments use a power wheelchair. Not a Scooter but a chair they need to for their legs. Because I do not think there is much understanding on this thread.

It is more like tough luck. At least you got one. Better than nothing. Who cares if you loose your feeling of independence. Feel trapped because you can not push the manual chair they could provide. So it is inconvenient oh well too bad.

Be happy you have someone that out of the goodness of there heart will give you a little electricity.

I am just scratching my head just wondering why people think this is ok. Though from what I am reading most do not use a power wheelchair. I was hoping for support what I have gotten is the exact opposite.
You're putting words and thoughts into our heads that aren't there. No, not all of us use chairs. Does that mean that we can't have questions as to *WHY* what was offered wasn't acceptable?

As for wanting just *ONE* outlet in the park ... well, some people still wouldn't be satisfied. "I ran out of juice near XYZ, and had to go ALLLLL the way over to ABC. There should be a station on each side of the park!!" Which would then turn into "The charger at ABC was being used, so I had to go ALLLLL the way over to XYZ ... there needs to be more than one charger in each location!"

I didn't realize they only offered a manual chair. That's wrong. I personally got ECVs for temporary use by guests that had problems with their personal electric wheelchair when I worked at Universal (luckily those were all days when there were plenty available). That was one of those "creative solutions" that my supervisors loved because it solved a problem without really costing the company any money. True, they missed out on the rental fee, but if it was sitting there waiting to be rented, they weren't making money on it anyway. Since that solution crossed my mind, I assumed that it would have crossed the minds of the Disney CMs, too. Then again, they may have been out of ECVs and that's why they didn't offer one. Not sure, cause I wasn't there, and since I'm also not sure if the configuration of a power chair is needed by you, it might not have been an option anyway.

I'm never shy about asking people questions. I'm *NOT* blind/deaf/wheelchair user, so I *DON'T* know exactly what the challenges are. I also figure that they already know they're blind/deaf/using a wheelchair, so it's not like I'm going to ask a paraplegic how the hand controls on their car work and they're all of a sudden going to say "What?!?! You mean I'm in a wheelchair and nobody told me!?!?" I do know, however, that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. That's why I ask questions, because if I don't, I have no idea how to help someone or what suggestions to offer. I'm sure I've driven J and D nuts at school with questions about their gear (Poor D spent 15 minutes explaining to me one day how a Braille typewriter works ... I'd had the random thought "how do you fix it if you make a mistake when typing?" ... I mean, it's not like they can use white-out or something). I even jokingly call the accessible technology room at school their "toy room" because they have all this neat technology that they use to be able to do their schoolwork with minimal help from the rest of us.

Not all of us are asking because we're mean. A lot of us are asking because we're honestly curious and want to learn.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: