Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #151
Marlea98
DIS Veteran
 
Marlea98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,096

.
__________________
Marlea98 is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #152
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Apparently you and I are seeing who is rational from a totally different point of view. And what being a role model means as well.

No one is defending a smoker's right to walk down main street smoking. We are defending their right to smoke in areas that are clearly marked on a map. If someone is too lazy to look at the map and avoid them, that is their problem.
You have taken my comment out of context. I was referring to the person who throws their cigarette butts out of the window and my neighbor whose smoke drifts into my windows every spring day on the hour yet calls the police on me when my dog barks at a squirrel at 2 in the afternoon.

I was also referring to the parents who drag an infant in a stroller into the middle of the smoking section and leave them there for 20 minutes while they have their cigarette.

Yes, I get it. You all have the right to smoke. But since adults are supposed to be a role model for children, the choice TO SMOKE leads to being a poor role model. If it causes 1 child to try smoking where does that put us? The older generation perpetuates racism, and discrimination through their actions. Jokes, and comments, they way we treat people. The younger generation emulates this and that is why we have bullies in schools and children commiting suicide. This is why I just had to go to a funeral for a high school student who died of a heroin overdose because pot was no longer good enough for him and since his friend's father smokes pot, why shouldn't he?

Please, defend your right to smoke, and tell racist jokes, and say that homosexuals are sinners and will go to hell and that marriage is between a man and a woman. Don't worry about the influence that it has on the children. The world is watching...but you have the right!
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #153
JLVermillion
Food & Wine Festival 2009
 
JLVermillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Annapolis MD
Posts: 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Apparently you and I are seeing who is rational from a totally different point of view. And what being a role model means as well.

No one is defending a smoker's right to walk down main street smoking. We are defending their right to smoke in areas that are clearly marked on a map. If someone is too lazy to look at the map and avoid them, that is their problem.
__________________
Me DH DD1 DD2 DS
JLVermillion is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #154
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.
 
Son of Gadsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
You have taken my comment out of context. I was referring to the person who throws their cigarette butts out of the window and my neighbor whose smoke drifts into my windows every spring day on the hour yet calls the police on me when my dog barks at a squirrel at 2 in the afternoon.

I was also referring to the parents who drag an infant in a stroller into the middle of the smoking section and leave them there for 20 minutes while they have their cigarette.

Yes, I get it. You all have the right to smoke. But since adults are supposed to be a role model for children, the choice TO SMOKE leads to being a poor role model. If it causes 1 child to try smoking where does that put us? The older generation perpetuates racism, and discrimination through their actions. Jokes, and comments, they way we treat people. The younger generation emulates this and that is why we have bullies in schools and children commiting suicide. This is why I just had to go to a funeral for a high school student who died of a heroin overdose because pot was no longer good enough for him and since his friend's father smokes pot, why shouldn't he?

Please, defend your right to smoke, and tell racist jokes, and say that homosexuals are sinners and will go to hell and that marriage is between a man and a woman. Don't worry about the influence that it has on the children. The world is watching...but you have the right!
I thought we were talking about cigarettes? Kind of all over the place this morning, aren't we? Did I miss a post about heroin, pot, racism, and gay marriage?! Forget that all the things you just mentioned are lifestyle choices, and incredibly opinionated. Suggesting that smoking, whether that be cigarettes or pot causes kids to bully, do heroin, or commit suicide is quite a stretch. And Christians have the right to be Christians. Associating the beliefs of Christianity and smoking a cigarette to racism? Come on now. It's pretty obvious you hate cigarettes and any form of drug, but all of these things you are mentioning are off topic and unrelated.

People have the right to live the way they want to, they have the right to parent their children the way they see fit, and the right to disagree with you. That doesn't make them racist, or what is wrong with the world. Disney is private property and have nothing to do with rights, but they do respect and are tolerant of all of their guests rather than just one group.
__________________

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #155
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves
 
Pumbaa7287's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 606

Does anyone have more popcorn? I'm worried I'll eat all mine before this is over...
__________________
(Me) (Pudge)

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #156
alimcn
Earning My Ears
 
alimcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24

I walked past the smoking area in Epcot (Italy) during our last trip, and it took all that I had not to knock the cigarette out of the hand of the VERY pregnant lady I saw...
alimcn is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #157
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcn View Post
I walked past the smoking area in Epcot (Italy) during our last trip, and it took all that I had not to knock the cigarette out of the hand of the VERY pregnant lady I saw...
But they have the RIGHT to do that. Doesn't matter who it hurts. It is their right to smoke in Disney's provided location. All we need is the beer in the other hand. Don't forget it is not ILLEGAL to drink while pregnant. they have a RIGHT to do that as well.

Really, people, think about the implications of what you support and the arguments you make for that support.
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #158
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden View Post
I thought we were talking about cigarettes? Kind of all over the place this morning, aren't we? Did I miss a post about heroin, pot, racism, and gay marriage?! Forget that all the things you just mentioned are lifestyle choices, and incredibly opinionated. Suggesting that smoking, whether that be cigarettes or pot causes kids to bully, do heroin, or commit suicide is quite a stretch. And Christians have the right to be Christians. Associating the beliefs of Christianity and smoking a cigarette to racism? Come on now. It's pretty obvious you hate cigarettes and any form of drug, but all of these things you are mentioning are off topic and unrelated.

People have the right to live the way they want to, they have the right to parent their children the way they see fit, and the right to disagree with you. That doesn't make them racist, or what is wrong with the world. Disney is private property and have nothing to do with rights, but they do respect and are tolerant of all of their guests rather than just one group.
I am not all over the place. We were talking about role models. How we act, what we do and what we support are all part of that. The only argument given to keep smoking areas is that people have the RIGHT to smoke. That does not mean that a theme park geared towards children is the proper place to exercise that right. You have a right to carry a firearm. Is Disney the proper place to exercise that right?

We are talking about cigarette smoking. People who smoke cigarettes have a significantly higher risk of smoking pot. People who smoke pot have a statistically higher risk of doing drugs. People who do drugs have a statistically higher risk of dying early. It takes a proud parent to do that in front of their children because telling them to not do what mommy and daddy does because we can't help it works really well....

I have a hard time believeing that anyone wants to encourage their kids to smoke by modeling the behavior. Even a person who is so addicted that could never quit, couldn't think that it is OK to do this? But yet here you are, defending your right to do so. It must be the tar in your lungs cutting off the oxygen supply to your brain.
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #159
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%
 
Horace Horsecollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wiseacre Farm
Posts: 7,263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
It must be the tar in your lungs cutting off the oxygen supply to your brain.
Dear Tramp68,

Please allow me to point out politely that you are not helping to clean the air at Disney theme parks by insulting anyone who does not share your extreme "war on smokers" position.

I would be just as happy as you never to smell secondhand smoke again.

However, I think the way to move towards that goal is for smokers to be able to smoke in places that are way from other people. I don't think that declaring war on smokers accomplishes nothing except to create animosity and to encourage uncivil behavior.

This thread is about the idea of banning smoking at the Magic Kingdom, and, by extension, how Disney should deal with smoking at its theme parks. It should not be about vilifying anyone.

Yes, some of the issues you raise, especially about how smokers can effect the health and lives of children, are worthy of discussion. I don't think this thread is place for that. And, even then, I think an understanding tone accomplishes more than a strident tone. People who make the effort to end their smoking habit do so because they choose to make that change in their lives, not because someone on the Internet is telling them how evil they are.

Around 18% of all adults in the United States smoke cigarettes. The percentage of adult WDW guests who smoke is probably somewhat lower. It seems reasonable (and it seems to be good business) for Disney to make things pleasant for everyone.
__________________
** Horace Horsecollar **

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 03-04-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #160
Tramp68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saugerties, NY
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Dear Tramp68,

Please allow me to point out politely that you are not helping to clean the air at Disney theme parks by insulting anyone who does not share your extreme "war on smokers" position.

I would be just as happy as you never to smell secondhand smoke again.

However, I think the way to move towards that goal is for smokers to be able to smoke in places that are way from other people. I don't think that declaring war on smokers accomplishes nothing except to create animosity and to encourage uncivil behavior.

This thread is about the idea of banning smoking at the Magic Kingdom, and, by extension, how Disney should deal with smoking at its theme parks. It should not be about vilifying anyone.

Yes, some of the issues you raise, especially about how smokers can effect the health and lives of children, are worthy of discussion. I don't think this thread is place for that. And, even then, I think an understanding tone accomplishes more than a strident tone. People who make the effort to end their smoking habit do so because they choose to make that change in their lives, not because someone on the Internet is telling them how evil they are.

Around 18% of all adults in the United States smoke cigarettes. The percentage of WDW guests who smoke is probably somewhat lower. It seems reasonable (and it seems to be good business) for Disney to make things pleasant for everyone.
Exactly my point.

My mention of moving a few areas out of the way and marking them so that you do not have to refer to a map to realize you are about to walk into one were my first posts.

I was merely responding to some personal attacks on me and to refute some ridiculous declarations that Disney cannot ban smoking because they have a right to smoke wherever they want.

I do not think that it is unreasonable to place a few of the areas further away from the main traffic and to mark them more prominantly with a sign so that people do not inadvertantly walk into the area. I do not buy the response by someone that they are marked on the map and if I can't read a map to stay out of them then it is my own problem.

I point out that parents should not be allowed to pull their children into the smoking area with them. I get attacked for that.

It is wrong of me to adopt such a hostile tone towards smokers. Obviously I am passionate about getting this habit to end and to shield the children from the exposure, it gets in the way sometimes.
__________________
Tramp68
OKW August 1997
BWV/OKW July 2000
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #161
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
But they have the RIGHT to do that. Doesn't matter who it hurts. It is their right to smoke in Disney's provided location. All we need is the beer in the other hand. Don't forget it is not ILLEGAL to drink while pregnant. they have a RIGHT to do that as well.

Really, people, think about the implications of what you support and the arguments you make for that support.
Actually they do have the right to smoke, if I agree with that choice or not. A person walking up to someone and knocking a cigarette out of their hands just makes that person a jerk, not someone to be proud of. And can probably get that person sued for assault. Sticking your nose into other people's business when they are doing something perfectly legal makes you a busy-body, not a martyr.
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #162
Wish Upon A Star
The TF thinks WUAS is corn cool!!
Caught Being Crabby
Has been known to wear Dorothy's red shoes and click her heels for no explicable reason :)
 
Wish Upon A Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,348

Isn't it bad enough that there is no alcohol (minus BOG) sold at MK and now you want to ban smoking too??
__________________
Grand Floridian - 04/99, 07/02
Polynesian - 04/00, 04/05, 11/09, 07/11
Disney Wonder - 4/05
Wilderness Lodge - 06/03, 10/05,
Contemporary - 08/06
Port Orleans Riverside - 10/07, 02/11, 03/13
Port Orleans French Quarter - 05/08, 10/08, 07/09, 05/10, 04/11, 05/11
Beach Club - 04/05, 07/10
Caribbean Beach - 10/10
BoardWalk Villas - 12/10
Dolphin - 10/11, 10/13, 11/13, 9/14
Yacht Club - 11/11

BoardWalk Inn - 4/12, 10/12
Coronado Springs - 11/12, 05/13, 05/14
Swan - 03/15

Last edited by Wish Upon A Star; 03-04-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Wish Upon A Star is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #163
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%
 
Horace Horsecollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wiseacre Farm
Posts: 7,263

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Actually they do have the right to smoke, if I agree with that choice or not. A person walking up to someone and knocking a cigarette out of their hands just makes that person a jerk, not someone to be proud of. And can probably get that person sued for assault. Sticking your nose into other people's business when they are doing something perfectly legal makes you a busy-body, not a martyr.
There is no "right to smoke" on public property or on someone else's private property.

Smokers can smoke if they are allowed that privilege by the owner or property (public or private) and if doing so would not be a violation of a state law or local ordinance (such as smoking in restaurant).

Disney has a few designated smoking areas in each park, while declaring the rest of it smoke-free. Some of smoking areas are awkwardly located. Disney took the cheap way out by locating most smoking area on existing walkways rather than constructing smoking patios off the walkways. Disney has an opportunity to put in smoking areas that are better for smokers AND nonsmokers.

Has anyone here suggested knocking a cigarette out of a smoker's hand? If so, I missed it.
__________________
** Horace Horsecollar **
Horace Horsecollar is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #164
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
There is no "right to smoke" on public property or on someone else's private property.
It is not illegal, and Disney has made it clear that they are A OK with people smoking on their property, as long as they are in the designated areas. So yeah, at WDW they have the right to smoke.

And a few posts back someone commented on the control needed to not walk up to someone and smack the cigarette out of their hand. I'm sure that would go over well.
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 03-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #165
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.
 
Son of Gadsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
Exactly my point.

My mention of moving a few areas out of the way and marking them so that you do not have to refer to a map to realize you are about to walk into one were my first posts.

I was merely responding to some personal attacks on me and to refute some ridiculous declarations that Disney cannot ban smoking because they have a right to smoke wherever they want.

I do not think that it is unreasonable to place a few of the areas further away from the main traffic and to mark them more prominantly with a sign so that people do not inadvertantly walk into the area. I do not buy the response by someone that they are marked on the map and if I can't read a map to stay out of them then it is my own problem.

I point out that parents should not be allowed to pull their children into the smoking area with them. I get attacked for that.

It is wrong of me to adopt such a hostile tone towards smokers. Obviously I am passionate about getting this habit to end and to shield the children from the exposure, it gets in the way sometimes.
The tar in my lungs? Seriously? The only person attacking anyone here is you. I smoked for two years in my youth, with no parents that ever smoked a cigarette. I talked both of my grandparents into quitting, a coworker, and my wife after I decided it was a filthy habit and I needed to quit. Don't go insulting me like you know me.

Who exactly has attacked you? And who has said you should drag your kids into a smoking area? If you consider someone telling you that the whole world shouldn't bow down to your beliefs, and suggesting that you show some tolerance towards other peoples' lifestyles is an attack, I don't know what to tell you. There are probably things you do that others don't agree with either. Doesn't make it right or wrong. That's the good thing about a free society.

I see a bunch of posters here talking about smoking areas, and one person going with personal attacks and pretending to be attacked themselves to justify all the soapboxing about smoking. I don't see anyone here arguing that smoking is healthy, or a good lifestyle choice. That's not what this thread is about.
__________________

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13

Last edited by Son of Gadsden; 03-04-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Son of Gadsden is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.