Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #121
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickiwoo View Post
I couldn't agree more! I'm deathly allergic to popcorn. I live in an apartment, and if my neighbors in the apartment next to mine microwave popcorn, my throat starts to close up. I can't go to movie theaters. At Disney World, I'm able to avoid the stands selling popcorn since I know where they are... but there are lots of guests walking around everywhere with buckets of popcorn, and that is not so easy for me to avoid.

Now yes, living with a smoker or constantly being around smokers will definitely affect your health. But for most people, walking past an outdoor smoking section one time is not going to have any major health affects. If you have an allergy to smoke, then it might. Just like how if I walk past a popcorn kiosk, my throat could close up and I won't be able to breathe. Or if dvczerfs walks past someone wearing perfume, the same thing could happen. Like dvczerfs said, everyone has an issue and a story. You can't around and ban everything that could potentially be a problem. How would you feel if they banned popcorn from Magic Kingdom because it's a health hazard for people like me?

Smoking is legal, and smokers have every right to smoke if they choose. There are designated areas for smokers, and these areas are clearly labeled on the park maps. So if you are bothered by cigarette smoke or have a problem with it, you can easily avoid the areas where there will be smoking.
You and many others have an awful thing to live with. I empathize with what people with severe allergies have to go through. I have a mild allergy related to birch pollen. No raw fruit with pits for me, nor almonds.

Obviously, places cannot ban every allergen from public places, there would be nothing left. People with allergies need to be responsible for their own space and protection. It is a raw deal, but it is reality. People with allergies are a minority. Second hand smoke effects EVERYONE.

I agree that people should be considerate of their perfume use. My wife and I do not wear any, except maybe a tiny bit for a special occasion. I deal with my students excessive use of perfume and AXE on a daily basis. I also deal with kids who do not shower and do not wear deoderant. It is not pleasant at all. I am stuck with it in my classroom. When I am in a public place, I move around it and get on with my life.

I have been very clear with my view on this. The areas need to be more removed from the main walkways. A few have already been pointed out at being in bottleneck places and too close to eateries. They need to be better marked. I shouldn't need to read a map to know that I need to avoid a certain place. It should have a clear boundry, possible even a gate. They need to ban parents from bringing their children into the smoking areas.

I would personally like a total ban, but I doubt that will happen. There is precedent for it including atheletic fields and beaches, but it won't happen. The argument that people have THE RIGHT to smoke though, is invalid. Entry onto private property by an admission ticket means that you agree to abide by the rules. If Disney chooses to have a smoking ban, then those are the rules. They already have a dress code and HAVE removed people for dressing like characters. So peoploe do not have the right to wear whatever they want. The same could hold for smoking.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 03-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #122
MarkY117
Earning My Ears

Why??

I was a smoker for 10 years and have been smoke free for 3 years now. Yes, to state the obvious, smoking is bad for your health. But why ban smoking at the magic kingdom? Disney should move the smoking areas to places out of reach of walkways. There are many spots that are out of the beaten path where smoke will not reach families or people that hate the smell of smoke. Do not treat smokers like they are criminals, they follow the laws and smoke in designated areas, it is not their fault where the spots are designated.

If you ban smoking from the parks, you might as well ban smokers because they are going to go through nic fits and be in a terrible mood with all the big crowds that disney produces.

While we are at it, a lot of people on the board seem to be on health kicks. So lets ban all those unhealthy breakfast buffets, stop making those ADR's for them. Ban the bacon!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #123
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY117 View Post
I was a smoker for 10 years and have been smoke free for 3 years now. Yes, to state the obvious, smoking is bad for your health. But why ban smoking at the magic kingdom? Disney should move the smoking areas to places out of reach of walkways. There are many spots that are out of the beaten path where smoke will not reach families or people that hate the smell of smoke. Do not treat smokers like they are criminals, they follow the laws and smoke in designated areas, it is not their fault where the spots are designated.

If you ban smoking from the parks, you might as well ban smokers because they are going to go through nic fits and be in a terrible mood with all the big crowds that disney produces.

While we are at it, a lot of people on the board seem to be on health kicks. So lets ban all those unhealthy breakfast buffets, stop making those ADR's for them. Ban the bacon!
CONGRATS ON 3YEARS!!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #124
MarkY117
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
CONGRATS ON 3YEARS!!!!!
Thanks! I see you are from lehigh valley pa! I am from bethlehem, PA. I also noticed your icon for staying at the beach club in 192 days, we are staying in the beach club villas in 194 days! Small world huh?

Last edited by MarkY117; 03-02-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #125
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
Not even close to the same issue. None of those things affect my children's health like smoking does. Smoking is a health hazard to everyone around the smoker. All of the other things are just annoyances, unless the drunk gets behind the wheel of a car
Give me a break. Yes, long term exposure to second hand smoke may be dangerous, but I challenge you to provide ANY evidence that simply walking past a designated smoking area is dangerous to you or your children. You know good and well that this is no more than an annoyance to you and your family and not a health issue.
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music

Last edited by Magic Fanatic; 03-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #126
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY117 View Post
Thanks! I see you are from lehigh valley pa! I am from bethlehem, PA. I also noticed your icon for staying at the beach club in 192 days, we are staying in the beach club villas in 194 days! Small world huh?
im next door, Nazareth!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #127
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I'm just a short drive away - about an hour! Hi Neighbors!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #128
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
I'm just a short drive away - about an hour! Hi Neighbors!
hi neighbor!!!! just seen you over on the disability boards.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #129
DetroitDisney
DISfanatic

I have a solution.

Smokers get to use 1-2 of their FP+ for the hottest new ride at disney.

"Smokers Dungeon" will feature real working escalators below the surface level of the park. There, guests will be able to smoke in a crowded room with other guests while debating the merits of lung cancer. Once the guest finishes his time on this attraction, there are another set of escalators back to the surface. Before leaving the ride, guests are sprayed with a quick chemical mist, so that the rest of the park can avoid the foul smell of the dungeon.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #130
Cam32821
Earning My Ears

May be not ban it. but just have one or two smoking areas. so smokers can smoke away. and non-smokers can be happy without the smell and smoke. just my opinion
Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 AM   #131
I M Fearless
WDW Enthusiast

I wonder if we would even have a Magic Kingdom at all if Walt hadn't been a smoker:

I think it's fairy common knowledge that he was sitting on a bench (smoking?) watching his daughters playing, when he first came up for the idea of Disneyland.

Obviously I am just speculating that Walt was smoking at the time, but I think it's a fairly reasonable assumption that he could have been: it's circa 1950, Walt's a known heavy smoker, he's sitting relaxing on a bench watching his children playing.

...I'm just wondering!

Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #132
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam32821 View Post
May be not ban it. but just have one or two smoking areas. so smokers can smoke away. and non-smokers can be happy without the smell and smoke. just my opinion
That is pretty much what they have now.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 AM   #133
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M Fearless View Post
I wonder if we would even have a Magic Kingdom at all if Walt hadn't been a smoker: I think it's fairy common knowledge that he was sitting on a bench (smoking?) watching his daughters playing, when he first came up for the idea of Disneyland. Obviously I am just speculating that Walt was smoking at the time, but I think it's a fairly reasonable assumption that he could have been: it's circa 1950, Walt's a known heavy smoker, he's sitting relaxing on a bench watching his children playing. ...I'm just wondering!
You never know. Times where different then. When dd was going thru traditions, before you get a name tag, everyone that works at disney goes thru traditions, they talked about the rumor that has been around for years that when a cm points, they point with two fingers and the reason being that is how walt always pointed because he had a cigarette in his hand. They have no idea if it is true or where it came from.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #134
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
You never know. Times where different then. When dd was going thru traditions, before you get a name tag, everyone that works at disney goes thru traditions, they talked about the rumor that has been around for years that when a cm points, they point with two fingers and the reason being that is how walt always pointed because he had a cigarette in his hand. They have no idea if it is true or where it came from.
That's interesting-- I always thought they pointed with two fingers so no one could confuse it for the one finger salute...
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #135
MatoMany
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I always figured they pointed with more than one finger because in certain cultures its considered rude to point with one finger.

Tags
ban smoking, magic kingdom, smoking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: