Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
mandyyyrose
Earning My Ears

No hate, please

I personally, as a 19 year old girl, don't like the idea of a 'plus size' princess. I am not the Disney princess type by any means, but that hasn't stopped me from relating to and learning from them. My favorite princess is Ariel, and I remember running around the beach and swimming with my 'mermaid tail', I also remember(heck, still do) sing Mulan songs every chance I get. I don't relate to their bodies or background, and that's okay. Disney doesn't owe it to me, or anyone, to make something just because it is demanded. If we create princesses just to please people, then isn't the magic kind of gone? The 'body type' isn't what should matter, I don't even honestly remember the 'size' of them, I remember the story. I don't look at the princesses as body image models, I look at them as heroic, mature brave and capable women, and that's what I learned from them and aspire for myself. My acceptance of my body came from my parents, sister, friends, boyfriend, and ultimately myself, not a Disney movie. I'm happier with my body now than I ever have been, and that's nothing a movie could teach me, although some Disney songs are good to rock out to while I'm running (: At least for myself and my little cousins, I want them to get the lasting messages that they can do whatever they set their minds to, I don't think that they need a plus sized princess to tell them they're okay, if that's how it ends up, I want me and my sister, as well as their mothers and aunts and grandma to be the ones to tell them they're beautiful, Disney should be their escape, their fantasy, their dreams not their body image promoters.
(sorry if that makes absolutely no sense, I'm a college student who's had wayyy too much coffee today)
Art of Animation January 2015 for my first RunDisney!
First 1/2 marathon June 22, 2014!
mandyyyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: