Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #106
amberpi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
there you go....... get rid of the booze and you wont have to drink so much water.

i don't drink water, soda (high test) and iced tea. almost 50 years haven't fallen over...... yet. im surprised i never have but i must have a lot of reserve or something. it does take a lot to get me to sweat.
Getting rid of booze on vacay? No way! I'll keep drinking my water
Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #107
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberpi View Post
Getting rid of booze on vacay? No way! I'll keep drinking my water
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #108
fuzzylogicllc
www.infinitrader.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
There is no reason to be uncivil toward smokers.

Is it really so bad that smokers have a few small designated smoking spots at each Disney park while the rest of it is smoke-free?

Things were bad for nonsmokers in the not-too-distant past. Smoking was allowed in restaurants, airplanes, theater lobbies, stores, and all sorts of other public places. Unless it was a designated nonsmoking section, the assumption was that smoking was allowed. Often nonsmoking sections were in the same room where people were smoking, so the smoke would fill the whole room anyway.

Things have changed considerably. Smoking laws vary by state, but indoor spoking in public places has largely ended in the United States.

Almost all smokers politely follow the rules. They may not be happy about it when they're standing outdoors -- 15 feet from a hotel entrance somewhere in a northern state and the temperature is in the single digits -- but that's how it is now.

Let's be civil to smokers. Smokers are civil to nonsmokers "99.9%" of the time.

It makes sense to discuss opportunities for Disney to fine-tune smoking locations. For example, Downtown Disney currently allows smoking everywhere outside except in designated nonsmoking spots. It's time for Disney to make Downtown Disney consistent with the parks.

It does not make sense to wish for things to make smokers miserable.
Well said.

I don't smoke
I don't like smoke
I'll never smoke
I have allergies, breathing problems and carry an inhaler
I'm certainly not a Republican, nor have an agenda

However... I'll defend to the death one's right to smoke and enjoy basic freedoms as an American citizen and human. I have no problem w them enjoying their vice in the designated areas.

For those non-smokers that say "they can just go elsewhere" and should not be allowed the few spots they still have in open outdoor spaces... well... so can we. Disney does a good job of isolating it to where it's not harmful to the general public... any further desire to ban smoking is just from the purist sense of "you shouldn't do that cuz I don't like it".

I'm guessing of every person preaching "smoking should be 100% banned"... well you all probly roll a stop sign, go over the speed limit on occasion, or talk on your cell phone while driving. Don't judge others, cut everyone some slack, and enjoy. You're at Disney World after all.

If you're really paranoid about the smoke inhalation, I would carry a mask. Cuz you're likely to encounter TONS of pollution in the Disney parking lot from thousands of cars sitting in a group all trying to get out. So far more pollution than the time you walk 50' from the smoker area. Should Disney ban cars?

Me & DW ... DS12 ... DS8 ... DD7 ... DS4

2015/Dec WDW Polynesian / LEGOLAND Hotel
2014/May WDW Contemporary / LLFL *F&G, SWW*
2012/Sep WDW Polynesian / LLFL
2010/Aug WDW Polynesian
2007/Jun Disneyland / LLCA *Opening of Finding Nemo*
2004/Sep Disneyland / LLCA
2002/Oct Disneyland
1998/Dec Disneyland / USH
1995/Dec Disneyland
1983 WDW Polynesian *Epcot*
1979 WDW Contemporary
1978 WDW Condo *River Country*

Last edited by fuzzylogicllc; 02-27-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #109
kelsmama99
Earning My Ears

I hate going past the smoking areas, but we try to avoid them, walk quickly, or hold our breath Could be a lot worse.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #110
jbish
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogicllc View Post

However... I'll defend to the death one's right to smoke and enjoy basic freedoms as an American citizen and human. I have no problem w them enjoying their vice in the designated areas.
I'm just going to quote myself here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbish View Post
Sure, everyone has rights. But being a smoker is not a federally protected thing like religious freedom. WDW is a private institution and they set their own rules. I really don't understand when people say "smokers have rights." People have a "right" to wear whatever they want - but when they walk through the gates of WDW, they must adhere to a dress code and can't wear skimpy or offensive clothing. People have a "right" to own coolers. But you can't bring them into the parks if they are of a certain size.

I think there can be improvements to the smoking areas so that it doesn't impede on other guests. But please don't say they have a "right" to smoke at WDW. That's a bit of a stretch, IMO.
To your point, though, yes, smokers do have basic freedoms as Americans - those rights are not being taken away by Disney. But some of us would just like the smoke and the visibility of people actively smoking to be better contained.

DVC (BLT)
Last trip: 11/2013 with the family and quick trip 2/2014 for PHM
Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #111
amberpi
DIS Veteran

I thought this article from the economist was interesting in light of this discussion.

http://www.economist.com/news/china/...rnmentcoughers
Old 03-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #112
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

Ban smoking and also ban use of Perfumes,Colognes or to much off it. Those people should have separate lines. Can't stand to be in line with people that over use, its a smell i don't like. Ban eating while they are walking and bumping into others, Ban drink while walking, Ban balloons, Ban strollers that are over sized, Ban umbrellas that can poke someone while they are walking, Ban popcorn- it brings the birds by others. Oh, wow and alcohol can be worst of all because you may not be able to drive safely. Need i say more we all have the right to enjoy life and we will always find something that we do not like that may offend others but don't take something a way without looking at all issues.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #113
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro77 View Post
Ban smoking and also ban use of Perfumes,Colognes or to much off it. Those people should have separate lines. Can't stand to be in line with people that over use, its a smell i don't like. Ban eating while they are walking and bumping into others, Ban drink while walking, Ban balloons, Ban strollers that are over sized, Ban umbrellas that can poke someone while they are walking, Ban popcorn- it brings the birds by others. Oh, wow and alcohol can be worst of all because you may not be able to drive safely. Need i say more we all have the right to enjoy life and we will always find something that we do not like that may offend others but don't take something a way without looking at all issues.
^^^What they said!! ^^^
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #114
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro77 View Post

im allergic to a lot of perfumes and colognes.bird poop is very dangerous and geez, I don't have any stats but willing to bet alcohol has killed and ruined a lot of innocent peoples lives as smoking but heck, they sell alcohol on property.

Last edited by dvczerfs; 03-01-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #115
AJ1983
DIS Veteran

Quote:
how does that great place with cheap ticket prices, small "fast pass" lines, cheaper food....... universal handle the smoking issue?
just asking. haven't been in a while.do they have areas or is it all no smoking?
We were very impressed with Universal's smoking sections..they were nice spots with tables, umbrellas etc. They were out of the way enough that nobody was forced to walk nearby.

As a smoker, I am uncomfortable with smoking areas being in high traffic areas. One thing that upset me was in EPCOT, the path diverged to form a smoking area behind some hedges...and one man pushed in baby in the stroller through the smoking area rather than stick to the regular path.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #116
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
im allergic to a lot of perfumes and colognes.bird poop is very dangerous and geez, I don't have any stats but willing to bet alcohol has killed and ruined a lot of innocent peoples lives as smoking but heck, they sell alcohol on property.
Not even close to the same issue. None of those things affect my children's health like smoking does. Smoking is a health hazard to everyone around the smoker.

All of the other things are just annoyances, unless the drunk gets behind the wheel of a car
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #117
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post
Not even close to the same issue. None of those things affect my children's health like smoking does. Smoking is a health hazard to everyone around the smoker.

All of the other things are just annoyances, unless the drunk gets behind the wheel of a car
I see.......so your issue of smoking and affecting your kids health trumps my health issues with perfume? same thing.... you wear smelly crap and stand near me, I close up!!! sniff it too long and im on the ground.i didn't ask you to wear perfume. I just wanted to enjoy life be able to breath. see, everybody has an issue and a story. we all live on the same planet. don't care for smoke, don't go near it. I cant take a lot of perfumes people use, I remove my self from people with it on. I have respect for other people and my health issue isnt other peoples problems. your lucky, they try to keep the smokers in one area,you see it coming in most cases, me , I never know when I may encounter someone who took a bath in perfume
Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #118
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp68 View Post

a drunk is an annoyance unless they get behind the wheel?

wow........... any idea how many lives are destroyed by drunk people every year that are not behind the wheel. the drinker, the families. I volunteered at a home for men and women. ive seen women who ......... I wont go on, I see what im dealing with. god bless you and have a nice day.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #119
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Quote:
I see.......so your issue of smoking and affecting your kids health trumps my health issues with perfume? same thing.... you wear smelly crap and stand near me, I close up!!! sniff it too long and im on the ground.i didn't ask you to wear perfume. I just wanted to enjoy life be able to breath. see, everybody has an issue and a story. we all live on the same planet. don't care for smoke, don't go near it. I cant take a lot of perfumes people use, I remove my self from people with it on. I have respect for other people and my health issue isnt other peoples problems. your lucky, they try to keep the smokers in one area,you see it coming in most cases, me , I never know when I may encounter someone who took a bath in perfume

I couldn't agree more! I'm deathly allergic to popcorn. I live in an apartment, and if my neighbors in the apartment next to mine microwave popcorn, my throat starts to close up. I can't go to movie theaters. At Disney World, I'm able to avoid the stands selling popcorn since I know where they are... but there are lots of guests walking around everywhere with buckets of popcorn, and that is not so easy for me to avoid.

Now yes, living with a smoker or constantly being around smokers will definitely affect your health. But for most people, walking past an outdoor smoking section one time is not going to have any major health affects. If you have an allergy to smoke, then it might. Just like how if I walk past a popcorn kiosk, my throat could close up and I won't be able to breathe. Or if dvczerfs walks past someone wearing perfume, the same thing could happen. Like dvczerfs said, everyone has an issue and a story. You can't around and ban everything that could potentially be a problem. How would you feel if they banned popcorn from Magic Kingdom because it's a health hazard for people like me?

Smoking is legal, and smokers have every right to smoke if they choose. There are designated areas for smokers, and these areas are clearly labeled on the park maps. So if you are bothered by cigarette smoke or have a problem with it, you can easily avoid the areas where there will be smoking.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #120
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
a drunk is an annoyance unless they get behind the wheel?

wow........... any idea how many lives are destroyed by drunk people every year that are not behind the wheel. the drinker, the families. I volunteered at a home for men and women. ive seen women who ......... I wont go on, I see what im dealing with. god bless you and have a nice day.
You see what you are dealing with? Really? Who are you to judge me? You use faulty logic to my statements. When a person encounters a drunk in public (which is what we are talking about) it is a nuisance. Nowhere did I say that it is OK to be a drunk or that people with addictions do not affect the people that they are close to. If I run into a person who had too much to drink, I can avoid them and move on. I do not know their story, nor do I care to while I am on vacation. That person may have had one too many for the first time in their life or may be a raging alcoholic. That has no impact on me. It is a terrible tragedy and an awful thing and I hope they get help. We have all been touched in some way with substance addiction. I see it and other horrible things in my classroom every year. To assume that I am not aware of the implications is very presumptuous of you.

You are full of prejudice. I truly hope that you treat the people that you encounter during your volunteering with more dignity and respect than you have just given me, otherwise you may want to find a different avenue for your community service.
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013