Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
On the positive side, we really have no idea what the new lobby is going to look like, so I'm not too concerned yet.

I also agree that the water feature was the best part of the lobby. I really hope that there's a major water feature with a large variety of plants in the new design. The rest of the lobby, including the furniture and such, did look rather dated, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with that.
The new design will not have a large water feature or all the plants that the atrium now has. I am sure the furniture will be different but I am not sure how the other stuff was dated when it was all newly designed just 4 years ago.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

It seems strange to say that the front desk needs expansion due to the influx of more guests doesn't it? After all they are converting 2 existing buildings and only adding a few over water bungalows. There isn't going to be much, if any, change to the number of accommodations.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #18
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

42,000 acres and they are building everything so close together it's starting to look crowded. I wasn't a fan of the Grand Floridian DVC crowding the Wedding pavilion and now I'm not a fan of the Polynesian DVC crowding the Polynesians beaches.

I realize it's much cheaper to add an addition to an existing resort but I think they are doing it at the expense of the existing resorts and scenery. I think the GF building itself looks great, I just don't think they had the necessary open space at GF or Poly to do what they're doing.

I love how the BLT compliments the Contemporary and I'd have no problem if they built a twin of the BLT on the other side of the Contemporary (where the short towers are right now). Plenty of room over there.

Viva Las Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #19
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I personally dislike the location of the DVC addition due to that crowding. They will block a lovely view for a lot of people which is sad in such a pricey resort. Plus the lobby has the potential to look like an airport waiting room if what I picture happens. I hope that it will blow us away but we'll see.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #20
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
The new design will not have a large water feature or all the plants that the atrium now has. I am sure the furniture will be different but I am not sure how the other stuff was dated when it was all newly designed just 4 years ago.
Do we know what will be in the atrium though? I understand the desire to redesign the atrium/lobby but do feel the water feature is such an iconic part of the resort - as as an original element of WDW, therefore an iconic part of all of WDW - that I really hope they replace it with something similar.

Even if smaller, put something in a different water feature that is super interesting and "iconic" in a different way

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
Tikiman

No one at Disney has ever said that the changes to the lobby are due to needing a larger check in area. Only people on forums have been saying that.

They are going to redesign the lobby and remove the water feature for many reasons and none of them that I have heard from anyone working on the project ever said that they needed a larger check in area.

They do want a new look to the lobby and the water feature takes up a lot of square footage. Not that I want to see it go but I know the problems they have been having with it for more than a decade. I won’t get into the details about the problems with the water feature because people just start to argue with me about it but it needs to come out or be replaced. The new concept has a more open feel (not like an airport) and will have some water elements but not like the water feature that is there now. Also many things need to be replaced to remove the remaining asbestos and to bring the building in compliance with ADA laws.

People may or may not like it after it is done but there is a simple fix to that problem. If you don’t like it, don’t visit the resort. I for one will wait and see how it turns out in the end. If I don’t like the new lobby better than the old then I will appreciate the resort for the other things I do enjoy.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
dachsie
Mouseketeer

Well Phooey! I was planning to go to Captain Cooks to get Tonga Toast on 3/23. So its not going to be available?
dachsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #23
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No one at Disney has ever said that the changes to the lobby are due to needing a larger check in area. Only people on forums have been saying that.

They are going to redesign the lobby and remove the water feature for many reasons and none of them that I have heard from anyone working on the project ever said that they needed a larger check in area.

They do want a new look to the lobby and the water feature takes up a lot of square footage. Not that I want to see it go but I know the problems they have been having with it for more than a decade. I won’t get into the details about the problems with the water feature because people just start to argue with me about it but it needs to come out or be replaced. The new concept has a more open feel (not like an airport) and will have some water elements but not like the water feature that is there now. Also many things need to be replaced to remove the remaining asbestos and to bring the building in compliance with ADA laws.

People may or may not like it after it is done but there is a simple fix to that problem. If you don’t like it, don’t visit the resort. I for one will wait and see how it turns out in the end. If I don’t like the new lobby better than the old then I will appreciate the resort for the other things I do enjoy.
So don't want to bug the crap out of ya, but you say that the current plan is to add some smaller water features to the area? Overall I am not worried about it. I have confidence that they will do fine.
Figmentforever24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachsie View Post
Well Phooey! I was planning to go to Captain Cooks to get Tonga Toast on 3/23. So its not going to be available?
It is not expected to close until a few days later but even at the temporary location it will have the same menu.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #25
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Shoot you beat me to the punch lol.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmentforever24 View Post
So don't want to bug the crap out of ya, but you say that the current plan is to add some smaller water features to the area? Overall I am not worried about it. I have confidence that they will do fine.
Not bugging me at all. Yes there will be a water element to the new design but nothing like what is there now.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #27
Andrew015
WL Guru

I am completely, 100% against the removal of the center water feature. I get the removal of asbestos, maintenance issues with the fountain and ADA compliance babble, but why can't those things be addressed while maintaining the iconic center feature? I can't believe for the life of me that the only logical solution is to axe it completely. Isn't this the same company that turned swamp land into the most visited place on the planet, constructed a gigantic golf ball as an attraction that millions ride annualy and replicated Yellowstone's Lodge in the middle of Orlando, FL (actually, they made it better)?

I suppose I shouldn't get my "bloomers" in a wad until we see the finished product, but I don't like the sound of it and can't see this being an improvement. I hope I eat my words, but don't see that happening. If a new gift shop opens up in the center of the GCH where the fountain once was, we'll know for sure that the bean counters know exactly what's best for us and our beloved resorts, and that the guest experience means absolutely nothing.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #28
Figmentforever24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not bugging me at all. Yes there will be a water element to the new design but nothing like what is there now.
Ok good as long as there are some water features. I am fine with anything new as long as it looks good. I am not going to get upset if the giant water feature comes down.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #29
dachsie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It is not expected to close until a few days later but even at the temporary location it will have the same menu.
Oh great! Thanks!
dachsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #30
SpectroMan71
Mouseketeer

What this hotel needs is not to remove a waterfall or create mini check-in kiosks in place of the large desk, but to add TWO JACUZZIS.
This is a deluxe resort with a price higher than that of the Contemporary and it doesn't even have hot tubs. Ridiculous.
SpectroMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvc, fountain, polynesian

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: