Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayne View Post
I just thought of something that might help me to stay more organized.

I thought I might pack small ziplock bags for changing time and meal time.

That way I don't have to take the big back pack in to the restroom or dinner.

So does anyone know if I place wipes into ziplock bags will they dry out too fast to make this work?
They shouldn't. If they do, just add a little water and let them sit for the water to absorb.

Also, use a heavier ziploc bag, like the storage or freezer bags. The sandwich and snack bags aren't as thick of a plastic.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #17
alayne
DIS Veteran

Ok another few questions that I have come up with:

I have a large family size towel thing that you take to the beach for the kids to play on without sitting in the sand. Would it be worth it to bring this or am I ask for sand in my room and luggage? I'm not a big fan of sand but I know when we have gone to the beach for a week this has come in handy.

Both my kids have what I call a trip bag. I put books, a few toys, their electronics, movies and activities into these bags. They use the stuff in the car and in the hotel room. When we arrive at the hotel my son is responsible for taking both bags to the room while we get the rest of the luggage since our daughter is only 1.

When we board the ship at our time of 12:30 can we go to our room and drop of the items we carry on? I thought it might be good if the kids bring these bags for the room (getting ready for bed, waiting for mommy and daddy to get ready before dinner, etc.) Or should I send these bags with the checked luggage.

Is there a limit to the number of bags you can check? Carry on?

I usually pack me and my husband into one large suite case, both the kids into a medium suite case, I have a large hanging organizer with all the bathroom items and one small suitcase with shoes, FE gifts, and beach bag.

Then each child has a travel bag and I have a diaper/purse bag. I was also going to have a Vera Bradley Weekender bag with our swim suites and dinner clothes just in case our luggage was late arriving.

Thanks for all the help. It's so nice to have people to chat with. Our FE group is really quiet.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have a large family size towel thing that you take to the beach for the kids to play on without sitting in the sand. Would it be worth it to bring this or am I ask for sand in my room and luggage? I'm not a big fan of sand but I know when we have gone to the beach for a week this has come in handy. I'd say you're just asking for sand in your room and luggage. You can take towels to the beach from the ship in all ports. And drop them off when you re-board (don't have to bring them back to your room).

Both my kids have what I call a trip bag. I put books, a few toys, their electronics, movies and activities into these bags. They use the stuff in the car and in the hotel room. When we arrive at the hotel my son is responsible for taking both bags to the room while we get the rest of the luggage since our daughter is only 1.

When we board the ship at our time of 12:30 can we go to our room and drop of the items we carry on? I thought it might be good if the kids bring these bags for the room (getting ready for bed, waiting for mommy and daddy to get ready before dinner, etc.) Or should I send these bags with the checked luggage. Room are typically not ready until 1:30 (sometimes later). You will be carrying whatever bags you carry onboard until then. I wouldn't send anything that had electronics in it through with the checked luggage. Checked bags are not handled all that delicately (yes, they are really just thrown on top of the pile prior to delivery to your room.

Is there a limit to the number of bags you can check? Carry on? You will receive 2 luggage tags per person in your cruise documents for checked bags. But you can pick up additional ones at the port if you need them. The cruise contract suggests that you limit yourself to 2 checked bags each, but there's no enforcement. You will need to store empty luggage in your room for the duration of the cruise. Also, no limit on carry on bags. But, again, you will have to keep them with you until your room is ready.

I usually pack me and my husband into one large suite case, both the kids into a medium suite case, I have a large hanging organizer with all the bathroom items and one small suitcase with shoes, FE gifts, and beach bag.

Then each child has a travel bag and I have a diaper/purse bag. I was also going to have a Vera Bradley Weekender bag with our swim suites and dinner clothes just in case our luggage was late arriving.

Thanks for all the help. It's so nice to have people to chat with. Our FE group is really quiet.
My responses in red.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
alayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

My responses in red.
Thanks!!! I thought I would be asking fit trouble with the blanket for the beach. We can survive for one day without it!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Sometimes you can get lucky by going to the floor with your stateroom on it and asking a room steward if you can leave something in your room. We did it last cruise with our liquor bag so I didn't have to take it with us before our room was ready.(We boarded at 1115 in group 2) I really wouldn't recommend this if you have any electronics or anything else you value, since the cabin doors are chocked open to make it easier for the stewards to come and go.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #21
alayne
DIS Veteran

One more question - we have early dining and I booked my daughter for the nursery at 6. Is this a good time for her to come and eat a little and then allow us to enjoy the rest of our dinner. Eating out with her is not fun. She only sits about 10 min before throwing a fit and wanting to get down.

This morning I went to eat breakfast with my Mom before taking her to school. I took one of those placemats with stickers. It allowed me an extra 3 min to get her to sit while our food came.

Do they take pictures during your meals like on other ships?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One more question - we have early dining and I booked my daughter for the nursery at 6. Is this a good time for her to come and eat a little and then allow us to enjoy the rest of our dinner. Eating out with her is not fun. She only sits about 10 min before throwing a fit and wanting to get down.

This morning I went to eat breakfast with my Mom before taking her to school. I took one of those placemats with stickers. It allowed me an extra 3 min to get her to sit while our food came.

That should work if you want her to just eat bread. Our early dining time has been 5:45, so we get to the table, get seated, and have a piece of bread from the basket if it's waiting, but then you'd need to run her over to the nursery. There will be plenty to keep her occupied for that time (if you don't think she'll sit any longer, by all means take her over to the nursery, you know her best!) and she'll get to see all of the dining rooms and meet your servers.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #23
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
That should work if you want her to just eat bread. Our early dining time has been 5:45, so we get to the table, get seated, and have a piece of bread from the basket if it's waiting, but then you'd need to run her over to the nursery. There will be plenty to keep her occupied for that time (if you don't think she'll sit any longer, by all means take her over to the nursery, you know her best!) and she'll get to see all of the dining rooms and meet your servers.
If you talk to the servers the first night, they might be able to have some food for her ready when you come in so she can eat quickly and then one of you can take her to the nursery. Just ask!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #24
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayne

They do but its hit or miss. On the classics they'll get you at least once during the cruise and on occasion they'll miss you on the Dream class. I know they should catch everyone for pirate night on the 4 night or longer and formal night. If you don't see them in the dining room or they don't come to tour table for to Shutters and ask them to come by on your next meal.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
MABrentwood
Earning My Ears

Just a few notes - we just got off the Dream with our one year old.

We did not bring a single toy (two kids, one and four) and did not need them. To make life easy on yourself, pack as light as you can. I did buy sand toys at the grocery before we went to the port that we used on CC.

My daughter did enjoy Nemo's reef, but be aware that there are often older kids running around. It can get dangerous - many kids slip and fall. It is what it is, but be sure to have your expectations set correctly.

We had early dining, and I booked my daughter in the nursery (which she did like) from 6:30-8. It did not work the way I expected. We had a miserable dining experience, and our kids did not get their meals until 6:30 every night. Your experience may be different, but I would not book the nursery until at least 7 if you want her to come to dinner with you. The next time we cruise, I plan to feed the kids at the buffet every night, make a reservation at Palo or Remy for my husband and I, and skip the MDR all together.
MABrentwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have a large family size towel thing that you take to the beach for the kids to play on without sitting in the sand. Would it be worth it to bring this or am I ask for sand in my room and luggage? I'm not a big fan of sand but I know when we have gone to the beach for a week this has come in handy.

When we board the ship at our time of 12:30 can we go to our room and drop of the items we carry on? I thought it might be good if the kids bring these bags for the room (getting ready for bed, waiting for mommy and daddy to get ready before dinner, etc.) Or should I send these bags with the checked luggage.

Is there a limit to the number of bags you can check? Carry on?

One tip that I got from here that works great, grab a 4" soft paint brush and some baby powder and put them in your beach bag. Sprinkle on some baby powder, and brush away with the brush, and voila, kids are de-sanded! Works awesome on feet for when you get to the walkways and need to put flip-flops on and avoids the blisters that you can get under the straps when there's sand on your feet.

As for toys, you really don't need them, maybe a stuffed animal to sleep with, but otherwise, you're good!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
alayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABrentwood View Post
Just a few notes - we just got off the Dream with our one year old.

We did not bring a single toy (two kids, one and four) and did not need them. To make life easy on yourself, pack as light as you can. I did buy sand toys at the grocery before we went to the port that we used on CC.

My daughter did enjoy Nemo's reef, but be aware that there are often older kids running around. It can get dangerous - many kids slip and fall. It is what it is, but be sure to have your expectations set correctly.

We had early dining, and I booked my daughter in the nursery (which she did like) from 6:30-8. It did not work the way I expected. We had a miserable dining experience, and our kids did not get their meals until 6:30 every night. Your experience may be different, but I would not book the nursery until at least 7 if you want her to come to dinner with you. The next time we cruise, I plan to feed the kids at the buffet every night, make a reservation at Palo or Remy for my husband and I, and skip the MDR all together.
OMG Bless you for posting this. This is VERY helpful.

Ok so a little more detail about dinner. Since this is our first cruise and we have a 9 year old son do you think it would be better to feed my daughter via room service, Buffett, etc. and drop her off at Nursery on our way to dinner. Then we can really enjoy the experience. She isn't going to remember this trip anyway.

I thought the less carried the better. It always seems to be that way when we are at Disney World.

Thanks again - this is very helpful.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #28
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

Quote:
..... Since this is our first cruise and we have a 9 year old son do you think it would be better to feed my daughter via room service, Buffett, etc. and drop her off at Nursery on our way to dinner. Then we can really enjoy the experience. She isn't going to remember this trip anyway. ...
Yes, that's what I would do!
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: