Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #91
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodisneydad View Post
The FE now hangs in my office. With the new promotion and now managing the whole Kanagawa area it's going to come in handy formy daily notes. Those are the first day magnets... We actually had a few to change out on other days.

Hey what do u think of Drew and I trying to plan a joint cruise? Maybe 2015 or 2016???
I love that you have your FE hanging up in your office! What a great reminder of your cruise. I think a joint cruise would be a blast. We will have to talk about dates!

Now, on with your report!
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #92
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

So after checking out our perfect room we were headed to watch our friends board the Dream. On the way out we met Giovanny...our room steward. More on him later, but I will say he made the cruise extra special and in the end got a BIG tip for it.
So we made it up or down in our case and t wasn't long before we saw Hidemi,Maki,Tomo and Shuichi crossing the gangplank. It was funny as they crossed they stopped just short of the door to take pictures. The crew was waiting ...we were waiting. I was thinking hurry up I'm hungry.

Finally we get up to Cabanas and it's about 1:30. Now I have about 30 minutes to eat before my FE group meet up. I haven't had a chance to remember where the meeting is and my phones internet reception isn't working. Oh well I grab my first plate and fill it with shrimp...throw on a few crab. Then I get a bowl put in some Mac and Cheese and chicken strip.
The shrimp was heaven. I would eat alot more thrughout the trip.

I then get a drink and sit and relax.

Wife's plate looks similiar and her with a drink.

There was a beautiful rainbow off the back of the ship. I thought it would be a good sign for things to come, but as you will soon see in this case rainbow actually meant rain coming. Anyway we are not there yet.

It was 2:00 so I ran down to where I thought my group was meeting. I checked Pink, I checked the other bar nearby, but no one was there. I then went back up to eat more shrimp....I was disappointed. I had worked hard on my FEgifts and hope to meet everyone. More on the FE exchange later. Anyway about 2:15 I remembered where the meeting was. It was midship....but by the time I got there the DVC meeting was going on.
Oh well I did it again....missed meeting people I had been talking with and planning to meet for months. I am really sorry about that and do regret it.

Ok sorry for such a short update, but we are getting there...although slowly.

Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #93
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

I think I know who committed the crime...but as I'm only allowed one guess I'm going to keep reading clues.

Hopefully you didn't stress about missing the FE meeting...I'm a firm believer in not stressing on DCL!!!

Keep up the good (uh....but...uh...slowwwww!!!) work!

DZ
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #94
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Ok where were we?? Oh yeah I had just eaten enough shrimp to start turning into one. In fact I went back for more. I wasn't such a big fan of the crab claws but the shrimp was GREAT!! In Japan shrimp is expensive....why I don't know considering Japan is nothing more than a big island.
Back on track: The others in our group wanted to see their rooms and drop off the bags. I wanted to see these new magical portholes so off we all went to deck 7. Maki's room's porthole had a view of where the ship had been and Hidemi's had a view of where the ship was going. So if you stood in the hall with both doors open you could see the front and the back of the Dream. I thought it was really cool. Oh I skipped a part....at first one of the rooms windows wasn't working. Then I found the button on the wall beside the bed to turn it on. We stayed a few minutes looking for characters, but one never came. I meant to get back over there and look again at some point during the cruise, but never really did. This would be something else tha I had meant to do, but just forgot. I also didn't get any pictures of their room. I will say that I was glad to be in my room after looking at the size difference. Having said that though....if it meant I could take another cruise sooner I would stay in an inside room.

Kiyomi and I left and we all set a time to meet for the Sail Away party. At this time the party was still scheduled for poolside outdoors on Deck 11. I told the group to meet on Deck 12 as I felt the view would be better.
What to do now? We had some time before the lifeboat drill. Our meeting was in the Walt Disney theater. Our friends were also in the Walt Disney theater, but they were in the balcony area.
Anyhow.....we needed to drop by the room and check on something. Hidemi and Maki had both recieved a card with a time for Palos brunch. Neither of them actually had reservations, but I did and I didn't remember seeing a card with my reservation information. Of course me being me I went into panic.
Well to make a long story short the card was on the desk. I felt relief, but then I knew I needed to go and double check the others situation to make sure they didn't get charged. I also wanted to double check and make sure everyone had gotten all of their on board credit. Off to guest services we went.
Just as we were leaving the room we got the bad news....
Due to inclement weather the Sailing Away Party would be moving to the lobby atrium.
These were words I did not want to hear as I had built up the sailing away party and hearing the horn blowing to everyone. Oh well I couldn't control everything I suppose.

Down at guest services I got verything checked and straightened out. No problem with Palos....No problem with OBC. Then we saw a princess in the lobby. Or Kiyomi had spotted her while I was at the desk. Now Kiyomi went and talked with her, because there was no line or other people and she was just standing by the Christmas tree. Kiyomi told her all about our friend Hidemi and how much she loved princesses. After I finished I heard all about their conversation. so I quickly called Hidemi's room on the phone near the guest service desk and told Hidemi that a princess was in the lobby and no one was waiting...Lucky chance!!
Then I went over to meet this princess. She was fantastic and right in character. At first she thought that I was the friend that my wife was speaking of and was surprised when I said that Kiyomi was my wife. She then went on talking about her prince. Then we posed for some pictures.

Here I present* Tiana ...a true southern princess

Well after our Royal meeting we started to see crew members walking around preparing for the Lifeboat drill. So off we went to our drill area. What I thought was cool was to get to our area they were directing us down stairs that were usually used for crew only. Though that area is drab and all white, it was still cool to see a little behind the scenes. the life boat drill was nothing special except my wife being told to turn off the video camera...politely...everything went off without a hitch. They told us to report here if the ship was in distress. I was thinking...nope...haven't you seen Titanic? The water comes in from the lower decks....I'm personally headed to the upper decks not going down. ...or heading for the nearest lifeboat. Actually I pay close attention to safety briefings...both on ships and on planes...it's just me.

Ok it was over....now let the fun begin. We went to the atrium for the Sail Away party. We looked and looked for the others....Oh no...I forgot that they may have not caught the announcement about the change, but can't they see the rain outside??? Oh no what do I do????

Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #95
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

What?!?!? You left us hanging again?!? I want to know what happens! I LOVE the sound of Disney's ship horns!!! Tried to get my husband to download it on my phone but not compatible. It's on his phone & whenever I call him it rings the horns (when you wish upon a star).

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #96
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3penelope View Post
What?!?!? You left us hanging again?!? I want to know what happens! I LOVE the sound of Disney's ship horns!!! Tried to get my husband to download it on my phone but not compatible. It's on his phone & whenever I call him it rings the horns (when you wish upon a star).
It's called building suspense. Lol

Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #97
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It's called building suspense. Lol
We have quite the suspenseful TR going here, don't we Wally...I don't know if I can take the short updates...I just think you are trying to get back at Drew for taking so long. I just want to hear more!
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #98
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dededisney View Post
We have quite the suspenseful TR going here, don't we Wally...I don't know if I can take the short updates...I just think you are trying to get back at Drew for taking so long. I just want to hear more!

Aaaaah U two must be married... Just like in my marriage it's always the husbands fault.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #99
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Quote:
Aaaaah U two must be married... Just like in my marriage it's always the husbands fault.
:r otfl2:
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #100
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Ok where was I? Oh yeah I was looking for my group. Shortly before things started I noticed 4 or 5 Japanese people standing in the very front near the stairs. Bad part...they were not from my group. Even worse...they were standing in front of small children who couldn't see. For anyone reading this that was on the ship....That group of Japanese with the cameras who were ALWAYS at the front of partys on the deck and including this party in the atrium...I DO NOT know these people. My friends have better manners and would never block a child's view. Well when I saw it I told Kiyomi about it....she was embarassed that Japanese would do that. I told her to wait near the elevator just a minute and I would be right back. I walked up to the group and said in perfect and clear Japanese....Englsih translation:" Excuse me, but do you realize how rude it is to block a child's view? Would you please either sit down , let the children in front or move to the back?"

I think I shocked them by speaking fluent Japanese. They sat down and let small kids in the front.
Me speaking Japanese to passengers I didn't know would become a frequent occurence this cruise as you will see. The ship was full of Japanese tourists. I credit this to the fact that there have been several specials on TV here in Japan recently about Disney Cruises.

Anyway just as Lesley our Cruise director came out and started the party, Kiyomi and I moved one deck up for a better view.

Lesley was a wonderful Cruise Director and everytime I saw her she was full of excitement.

One deck up we spotted our friends finally.

Overall the SailAway Party was fun, but I felt it was short and lacked something not being on the open deck. I enjoyed the one on the Wonder back in 2007 alot more. I don't blame DCL for this as they can't control the weather. I'm just stating the facts as I see them.

***I had to review the video to remind myself of what happened next. we have alot more video than pictures. The reason behind this is that Kiyomi was in charge of video and I was in charge of camera.****

After the party we met up with everyone. We had a quick update that indeed they had gone outside to Deck 12, but seeing no one was there they finally asked a crew member and were directed to the right area. Looking out the window we saw that the rain had stopped....of course. So we headed to the upper decks. The decks were indeed wet, but we were able to watch the ship sail out of port from the front on Deck 13. After that we went back to the EYE scream station where we got icecream and a few of the group filled up and bought their beer mugs. I will say that the three who had the beer mugs definitely got their moneys worth before the end of the cruise.
The Captain ran through the horns. Kiyomi kept asking me..."What song is that?"
Seeing as the entertainment for the evening was a ventriloquist/comedian we decided to skip that and explore the ship a little. I might have enjoyed seeing the show, but was sure comedy would be over everyone elses head. Comedy and jokes do not translate well at all.
While looking around I noticed that the aquaduck had no line....I didn't pay attention to as why not. Kiyomi and I decided we would go change into our bathing suits and give it a try. The others decided to go back to their rooms and unpack a little. So off to our room we went.
How was the aquaduck? well I will tell you next update....I need to frustrate you a little more. Actually it's just late here and I'm sleepy.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #101
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Ok so where was I. Oh yeah...the Sail Away party was over and we were looking at the Navigator to decide a course of action.

Here is a picture of the front page of the Navigator. I don't know how to scan these things even though I'm sure it can be done.

So Kiyomi and I had decided to try out the AquaDuck. Afterall from what I saw there was no line. We hurried back to our room and changed into our bathing suits. I was dancing like a ripe banana. Afterall the AquaDuck was one of the reasons I was on the Dream in the first place. Well we headed to the stairs of the AquaDuck. It's important to know at this time it was cloudy in the distance, but overhead the sky was fairly clear with just a hint of orange red that comes when sunset is near.
Here we are at the stairs to this mad creation that Disney has put on a ship. No other passengers are around...My guess they are getting ready for early seating dinner or in the show.... Here we g...Wait a minute...what is that red rope across the stair entrance....why is that crew member standing at the bottom of the stairs????
The sign says that the AquaDuck is closed due to lightening in the area. Unbelievable

Oh well...I guess I should have noticed that there wasn't any water running through the tubes of the AquaDuck.

So we head back to the room. We still have plenty of time before our late seating for dinner. Kiyomi decides to take advantage of the time and actually unpack our bags. I decide it's time to deliver the first of our Fish extender gifts. I had prepacked every room into plastic bags and written the name and room number on the bags. I had decided to deliver by floors over the next few days. So today it was going to be deck 2-5 I think.
Now I will write more on my FE eperience alittle later, but let's just say I may have gone a little overboard on what we gave out. It was my first time, I was excited and wanted to share Japan. I also have this complex that I never want to disappoint anyone. I had started collecting things two years before the cruise. By the time we left we had 23 rooms in our group and all the stuff I packed took up half a large suitcase. That's ok though because I expected to fill up the space with return FE gifts....again more on that later.
Anyhowwwww....

These are the things that I included in each of the FE gifts that I gave.

1. Tokyo Disney Resort maps...either Disney SEA or Disneyland or both
2.The TDS attraction backstory set
3.Small toy for each kid
4.Japanese currency chocolate bar
5.Japanese kite mini replica.....our area has a famous Kite festival
6.mini puzzle of famous Japanese landmark
7.Japanese print origami paper
8.Japanese signboard....hand made by my wife's mother...left side has our family name and stamp...Middle has a Happy New Year message in Japanese and personalized for each family and right side has each familys name written in Japanese

I also included an Origami How to paper and a letter explaining everything.
I think maybe the group liked it...though I'm not 100% sure as I've only heard back from about 5 families.

Net Up a wonderful discovery while delivering FE gifts and finally off to dinner.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #102
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

As usual, I'm enjoying your TR! What a bummer you didn't get to ride aquaduck, but I'm sure you got to do it a later time. Your FE gifts were amazing, generous, and very thoughtful. I love how you wanted to share Japan with the others. The personalized gift was so sweet! Can't wait to hear more!

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #103
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3penelope View Post
As usual, I'm enjoying your TR! What a bummer you didn't get to ride aquaduck, but I'm sure you got to do it a later time. Your FE gifts were amazing, generous, and very thoughtful. I love how you wanted to share Japan with the others. The personalized gift was so sweet! Can't wait to hear more!
I enjoyed preparing the FE stuff but I can't begin to tell you how much I stressed and worried over it.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #104
4 mickey
4 MICKEY

Love your trip report
4 mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #105
4 mickey
4 MICKEY

Ohhh so sorry about the inside Sail away party
Love your FE gifts