Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #31
chasingthedream
Mouseketeer

And beyond!

Great report. Thanks so much for sharing! I love your daughter's "Infinity and beyond" shirt! It's very cute & clever.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #32
tweis
DIS Veteran

Just found you TR and really enjoying it. We sail the Magic in April so I'm really looking forward to hearing how you enjoyed it.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #33
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthedream View Post
Great report. Thanks so much for sharing! I love your daughter's "Infinity and beyond" shirt! It's very cute & clever.
Thanks She really liked that shirt too, though she did not appreciate me singing songs from Toy Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
Just found you TR and really enjoying it. We sail the Magic in April so I'm really looking forward to hearing how you enjoyed it.
We loved Magic - nothing else to compare it to, but we loved it My DH was talking to some CM at one point and they were saying how much quieter Magic is compared to the other ships and how on Castaway Cay it is much easier to get around and find chairs etc.

Mom: Laura Dad: John DD: Bethany, 16 DS: John I, 14
PTR 70th Birthday Celebration
Do you know where the kids are? TR of our first Magic cruise

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
veggiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #34
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Day 3, Feb 3, Continued...

So we started making our way up to deck 9. Having done my research I knew to go to Cabanas to get food. It didn't take long though for me to start feeling slightly nauseous, I stopped and put on my sea bands right away.

I had been concerned before our trip that I was going to have problems with sea sickness/ motion sickness. I have had a number of health issues over the years and a recurring issue has been a side effect from getting colds where I end up with cysts in my inner ear wells. They are extremely painful and there is not a lot I can do about them. I put heat on it to draw out the pain and eventually the burst. They have put holes in my ear drums and have caused a loss of hearing and now are starting to effect my balance. SO I was concerned that my balance was going to be totally off on the ship. I was not really happy with the idea that I could feel the boat moving when we were still in dock! I had to kind of give myself a pep talk about being ok....

So up to deck 9 we go to find food. And here is where there is another potential issue for me. I am vegan - have been for years and for a long time I had a life threatening allergy to milk, milk proteins and eggs. In WDW I was always able to call ahead, make reservations and talk to chefs to make sure I would have the food I need. I always have protein bars packed for a 'just in case' measure as well. Thankfully about 2 years ago, after living 'clean' for 10 years I started introducing milk and eggs into my diet again. I am no longer needing an epipen Yay! but if I take in too much milk or eggs then I start getting pretty sick again. I seem to be more sensitive to eggs than milk. BUT I also don't eat meat - and haven't for 15 years and have no desire to eat meat - just a preference for me. I don't like the taste or texture anymore. My DH lovingly calls me his rabbit - and his cheap date! Since I mostly eat salads.

My long winded way of saying....
Yes, I was able to find food! Not all vegan - there were lots with butter but there was always a salad bar and steamed veggies.
So I found...

for myself

We managed to find a table outside and we enjoyed our lunch and basked in the sunshine

As we were sitting the CM's were coming around offering drink of the day (which we declined) and water packages - which we declined because we brought our own water on board. Made our carry ons kind of heavy, which my family didn't like but I was ok with

View from our seats

Once we were done eating we wandered over to the family pool, taking lots of pictures as we went.

The kids wanted to see Vibe, the teen hang out, but the doors were still locked.

Since we still had about an hour and a half until our room would be ready we decided to find some chairs by the family pool and check out the slide. Now before we left the kids were very excited to go on Aquadunk, I figured I would do it once and my DH was very sure he would NOT do this. He does not like confined spaces.

We found some chairs and changed into our swim suits and whose the first one to go on the slide....

My husband!

Of course, once he had gone we all had to go so we all tried it out.

Craziest thing for me - as I went down this slide, my contacts slipped - not out, but out of place in my eye! So once I was down the slide I couldn't see a thing - the CM is telling me to get out - but I'm just trying to get my contacts back on my eyes! I can't see a thing without my contacts and I didn't want to lose them completely, plus the force of that water had my swim suit all messed up So I looked completely nuts I'm sure trying to get out of the slide and get all straightened out as well! LOL

Bethany did the slide right after me and son John did the slide just before me.
Our thoughts on the slide?
We liked it, it went really fast, couldn't see anything because of the force of water. None of felt like we really needed to ride it again. And we never did. I think if John was a little younger he probably would have ridden it many many times.

Now it was almost 1:30 so we thought we would start finding our way to our room and see if it was ready yet.

Up next - our room....

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #35
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I am glad you could find food that you were able to eat. I have heard others who were vegans were pretty satisfied as well.

I am still debating on the Aquadunk when we go in March. I am not a water slide person much, but I do want to give it a try...just to say I did. I always have the issue with water in my face and my swimsuit rearranging itself too.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #36
Magical3
Earning My Ears

Great report! I'm loving reading all about your trip. We take our first cruise on the magic this spring so your report is especially exciting and timely!

Can't wait for the rest!
Magical3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #37
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I am glad you could find food that you were able to eat. I have heard others who were vegans were pretty satisfied as well.
Yes, I was very happy to not have to go without and I was always fed well and taken care of.

I am still debating on the Aquadunk when we go in March. I am not a water slide person much, but I do want to give it a try...just to say I did. I always have the issue with water in my face and my swimsuit rearranging itself too.

I say try it once! It was not bad - the floor dropping out was a little freaky but it is over so fast you barely have time to get 'scared' I think they should have a little curtained area just for those of us who need to put ourselves back in order after that ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical3 View Post
Great report! I'm loving reading all about your trip. We take our first cruise on the magic this spring so your report is especially exciting and timely!

Can't wait for the rest!
Thank you! Glad you are enjoying my report so far. So exciting to be taking the 'first' cruise! I'm almost sad our first is over.... though who knows, we may just have another one in the future!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #38
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Day 3, Feb 3 - Continued.... Our Stateroom

It was about 1:15 now and so we decided to see if our room was ready. We grabbed our stuff and starting working our way over to the elevators. Kids wanted to see if Vibe was open yet....

But no - not yet.

We decided to take the stairs down - much faster! As we headed down we saw that the open house for all the kids areas was on so we decided to take a quick peak at everything since we figured we would not be able to look later one.

I got a little lost as we made our way around the areas so I'm not sure what sections these all are....

DH and Bethany are HUGE Marvel fans so this was a cool room for them - they really wished they could do some of the interaction stuff....

Once were done looking around we made our way to our room.... continued in next post

Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #39
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

And Finally - we made it to our stateroom.
6546 - Family room with verandah

They already had the bunk beds set up -which was great because I was very curious how this worked

The all important bathroom LOL - loved that it was a split bath, sure made it easier for all of us.

Our bed was super comfy - my only complaint was that there was not a lot of room between the end of the bed and the wall and I constantly bumped my leg or stubbed my toe as I wen around the bed!

Kids said that their beds were comfortable. Son John only had one restless night where he lost his pillow in the middle of the night and it fell to the floor. John's only complaint was that the bedside light on the wall was too bright so when he was reading at night it was so bright and in his eyes that it made it a little uncomfortable for him.

DH lost no time in finding his favourite quiet spot to read! We LOVED having our verandah and spent a lot of time just sitting out there

Nice little desk area - the kids used the drawers on the sides to put there clothes.
Funny thing - we were told by our drivers that we 'must' have cruised before because we did not come with a ton of bags! LOL We had only 2 large suitcases and one small suitcase/carry on.

I was curious if we would find this room small - considering that we are all tall and basically adults -would 4 people in one room feel small... glad to say it never did -though I'm sure it helped that we were barely all 4 in the room at the same time! LOL

Our bags had not been delivered yet so it was time.... FINALLY.... to go check out Vibe!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #40
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

That is so weird that they had the beds made up for the night when you arrived. I have never seen that in any of our cruises before.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
That is so weird that they had the beds made up for the night when you arrived. I have never seen that in any of our cruises before.
hmm - don't know why it was like that? The one great thing about the first time cruising - nothing to compare to so we had no idea if this was 'normal' or not.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #42
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemama View Post
hmm - don't know why it was like that? The one great thing about the first time cruising - nothing to compare to so we had no idea if this was 'normal' or not.
That's true . Now next time you cruise - if the beds are not down it will be odd to you.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #43
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
That's true . Now next time you cruise - if the beds are not down it will be odd to you.
Yes it will Though if I have my way, and I usually do! We will be cruising without kids next time.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #44
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Day 3 - Feb 3, continued....

Let's see if I can finish off our first day on the ship today....

As DH and I were checking out our room the kids decided it was time to head off on their own. We let them know to be back in the room by 3:30 so that we would be ready for the safety drill at 4pm.They went off to Vibe and wandered around the ship (this is what I was told later) My son in true boy fashion explored the ship from top to bottom and knew his way around by the end of the night, could tell us where all the stairs led to and which one to avoid

John and I headed out to see if Vibe was open, and we were happy to see that it was open and we could take some photos (Bethany has told me over and over again, that pictures does not do Vibe justice - it is much bigger and 'cooler' than what the pictures make it look like)

Little hard to see because of sun, but this is the smoothie and drink bar.

Once we were done taking some photos - no site of the kids at this point, we decided to continue exploring the ship and take some more photos. I was surprised at just how few people were around yet at this point.

We love all the artwork displayed and took lots of photos - I won't share all of them but I will share a few favorites

Once we had walked around for a bit we headed back to our room to see if our bags were there.
We were very happy to see that yes our bags had arrived. We decided to unpack. I was quite happy with the amount of cupboard space. We had no problem unpacking all our stuff and we had lots of room left over, which was nice.

As we were in the room both kids came back. We discussed going to that night's show as we waited for the drill to start and I was happy that everyone decided to go I was not really expecting my son to go since he is not really into these kind of things so it was nice that we all went.

Our show for the night was

As we were finishing our unpacking it was time for our safety drill. This was a new experience for us Was not too bad other than that I forgot to swipe my room key as we lined up so we had to be 'called' to CM. Oops!

Once that was done we headed to the upper deck for the sail away party. Now I got to see just how many people were actually on board! Though it was not an awesome show or anything - we had fun, it was just fun to know that we were almost on our way!

And then it was time to go.... off goes the special horn and away we go!

Continued in next post... not sure how many photos it will allow...

Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #45
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Day 3, Feb 3, continued... again!

And off we go....

I knew I wanted to be at the front of the ship, just in case we would see dolphins so we headed to the front. It was great watching everything and though we did not manage to get pictures we did see dauphins!

It was very windy...

Once we were out at sea we realized it was time to go to the theatre. My son John had wandered off but had told us he would meet us at the Theatre by 5:45. So we headed down to

And found seats. Unfortunately for me the theatre is in the aft of the ship and boy could I feel the ship moving! I was starting to feel pretty nauseous but was hoping I would feel better soon. John and the kids joined me after grabbing some drinks and ordered some popcorn (is it just me or is it a little crazy that they charge you for popcorn??)

We enjoyed the show. DS liked it too, which was great as this ended up being the only one he saw. By the end of the show, I was not feeling well and now neither was DS John. We went outside to walk around for a bit and John went up to vibe for a bit. We were eating at Animator's Palette that night so he agreed to meet us there soon.

We headed to Animator's and low and behold - I could feel the ship moving! Arg! I was feeling quite ill by now but was determined to go to dinner. This was the one restaurant that I did not want to miss.

We waited in line for a bit and just before heading in, John joined us. He said he was not feeling very well either but was hoping to tough it out for dinner.

As this was our first dinner with our serving staff, it took a bit for them to get themselves organized on my dining preferences. After the first night they told me it would be easier as the chef would then know and could make stuff not on the menu for me. That first night I ordered off the menu.

As we were waiting for dinner, son John was getting sicker. He went outside to clear his head but it was not helping. Every time he came back and sat down he started feeling sick.

Just as our appetizers were being delivered he said he couldn't do it anymore, he needed to leave. Since I was not feeling well either I decided to go with him. We tried standing outside for a bit but it was not better so we eventually decided to go back to our room. DH and Bethany stayed at the table though Bethany said she was starting to feel pretty ill too.

According to my DH, I was looking pretty green by this point and he was getting worried. I took John back to the room and he laid down. I sat outside hoping it would help. John gets kind of panicky when he gets sick so he was starting to get anxious and upset, starting talking about not liking this and not wanting to be not he ship anymore, which of course had me kind of concerned!

The serving staff was wonderful - they packed up our food and delivered it to our room. Both John and I tried to eat but just couldn't stomach anything. So sad, because it was really good! I am very thankful that neither of us ended up having any issues with vomiting (sorry if that is more info than you want!) We were just very nauseous, and headachy and dizzy.

As we were both just sitting/lying down my DH came back to the room. In the end he was the only one to make it through the meal. Bethany managed a few bites of dinner but then had to leave because she was not feeling good either, she was able to just go outside and got better almost right away. John went and talked to customer service and they handed him some "sea calm" pills. DS took 2 right away and after about 10 minutes started feeling better so he went up to Vibe. Got to love resilient kids!!
I took 2 as well (found out later we should have only taken 1 - oops!) It took about 20 minutes and then I started feeling slightly better - but I was very very tired. Meds tend to have a strong effect on me so I don't take them often so by taking 2 pills, I took a strong dose and it had quite the effect on me!

I decided that I would push through - I didn't want to spend our first night in our room! I was determined to go enjoy as much as I could and hoped that maybe walking around would help.

So off we went to walk around. It was still very windy outside but we walked for a bit and then I thought I might be able to walk indoors for awhile so we headed over to After Hours, the adult area. We didn't stay anywhere because I was starting to fall asleep from the the meds but we did enjoy checking out all the different area, and I was looking forward to feeling better and being able to really enjoy everything!

I finally decided to stop being tough and head to bed!
We were in bed around 11:30 pm and at this point the kids were still out. I was really hoping they would know to be quiet when they came in - we had not really discussed that part!

They came to the room at around 1 am. Bethany was nice and quiet - we didn't hear her but John came in about 10 minutes after her and accidentally turned on all the light! I remember waking up a little to my DH telling him to turn off the light After that I am happy to say that I slept and slept well. The motion of the ship did not keep me up. Yay!

Up next.... Day 4 - Feb 4 - Nassau.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: