Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #676
alexwick
Earning My Ears

We have the bibidi bobbedi boutique scheduled for a Wednesday at 11:00 am . since they will all be dressed up I was wondering of you have any suggestions what to do afterwards.... It is the one downtown, not at MK.

addon:

So i was also wondering if you can get tickets to Water Lagoon, and blizzard beach? Since reports seem to say they do... but the village guide doesn't say so...
http://www.friendswithfop.com/2013/0...ish-trip-2013/

Also iFLY seems to be an option... do you make a appointment though gktw or through your Dream coordinator? Anybody done this?
http://orlando.iflyworld.com/flight-...rst-time-flyer

Last edited by alexwick; 02-17-2014 at 11:05 AM.
alexwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #677
dawnp15
Earning My Ears

So we leave March 3rd for our daughter's wish trip, the trip was planned pretty quickly and now we are not able to get reservations for almost everything. One thing our DD and her sister really wanted to do was go the BBB and get their hair done, of course they had no openings already. We are not going through MAW, but a small local wish organization. Do you think they could help us in anyway, or could GKTW help us? It's hard when you don't have control over when you leave on your trip and everything is all booked up
dawnp15 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #678
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnp15 View Post
So we leave March 3rd for our daughter's wish trip, the trip was planned pretty quickly and now we are not able to get reservations for almost everything. One thing our DD and her sister really wanted to do was go the BBB and get their hair done, of course they had no openings already. We are not going through MAW, but a small local wish organization. Do you think they could help us in anyway, or could GKTW help us? It's hard when you don't have control over when you leave on your trip and everything is all booked up
I would definitely check with your organization to see if there is anything they can do. Did you check with the BBB in Downtown Disney in addition to the one with at MK? If there are no BBB reservations available, perhaps try Pirate's League--the girls can still get girl pirate (pink bandannas, facial gems, nail polish, glitter) and mermaid (sparkle makeup, jewels, sash, tutu, special t-shirt) makeovers there. And, while GKTW isn't exactly BBB, they do have a little spa there that is open every evening. Kids can get manis, pedis and temporary tattoos there. We were there in 2011, but there might be other makeup and hair styling available there now. (?) Still lots of fun for the kids!
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #679
paigestauffer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnp15 View Post
I would contact your wish foundation as well but keep calling back. Our trip isn't until May and I started calling and couldn't get anything. On subsequent calls I was able to get an 8:15 in the morning appointment so I think repeated calls may yield results. Hoping someone cancels so you can get the girls in!!

Paige
paigestauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #680
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

If you cannot get into BBB, try buying a dress and having the girl(s) done up at the Ivy Trellis at the Grand Floridian with the flower girl plus makeup package (princess makeover):
http://disneyways.com/2013/06/13/ivytrellis/
I'm sure they will be able to help you out!
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #681
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecanada View Post
If you cannot get into BBB, try buying a dress and having the girl(s) done up at the Ivy Trellis at the Grand Floridian with the flower girl plus makeup package (princess makeover): http://disneyways.com/2013/06/13/ivytrellis/ I'm sure they will be able to help you out!
Never even heard of this! What a great tip!! Thanks for sharing....
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #682
lacheeze
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone. I'm Karen, and my son has been granted a trip by Children's Wish to Disney World this Spring (2014). My kids have never been outside of Canada or traveled on a plane before - they are beyond excited.

Our family is a "triple threat" - three people with significant health issues. Getting three people with active medical needs from Canada to DW and back is more complicated than I ever imagined. Plus my DH is their step-dad, so there are lots of legal gymnastics that sole-custody parents have to go through to travel internationally.

I'm combing your site for suggestions on everything... and I'm very grateful to have found it.

My DS is the "wish" child - here's his biography from the CW website:

Quote:
(he) is an outgoing and popular teen. This thirteen year old is known for his keen intelligence and quick wit, and his peers often compare him to Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. His one-of-a-kind personality isn’t the only unique thing about him – (he) is one of less than 200 people worldwide who have been diagnosed with TBS. TBS is an extremely rare genetic disease that affects every aspect of (his) life. In addition to being diagnosed with TBS at birth, (he) also experiences frequent seizures while he sleeps and requires a respirator at night. He suffers from narcolepsy, a neurological disorder caused by the brain's inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles normally, and cataplexy, a sudden and transient episode of loss of muscle tone.

To date, he has visited the Children’s Hospital more than 340 times and now suffers from severe medical post-traumatic stress disorder from all his time in hospital. His journey to date has been a challenging one, and it has taken its toll on him physically and emotionally...

A huge fan of Star Wars, marvel comics, and science fiction, (his) wish is to visit Disney World, to experience all the Star Wars and marvel themed attractions.
My DD and I have a completely different genetic disease (A1AD) - unfortunately, it is degenerative and "life limiting" (we're trying to get this trip completed before I have to go on oxygen support 24/7). I was diagnosed 2 years ago, and my daughter was diagnosed as having a milder version of A1AD just a few weeks ago - she'll be undergoing tests and will probably qualify for a wish trip as well.

My DH is perfectly healthy. So is our cat

We don't know what the future looks for my kids (there are no cures) but we're making the most of what time we DO have. I am very grateful to have found this treasure trove of information... thank you so much!

We can't WAIT to see Disney World!!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #683
lacheeze
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecanada View Post
If you cannot get into BBB, try buying a dress and having the girl(s) done up at the Ivy Trellis at the Grand Floridian with the flower girl plus makeup package (princess makeover)
I'm sure they will be able to help you out!
Thank you SO MUCH for this! My daughter will be beyond thrilled - we were planning on having tea at the GF too... so we could just make it a girly day.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #684
jkread
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacheeze View Post
Hi everyone. I'm Karen, and my son has been granted a trip by Children's Wish to Disney World this Spring (2014). My kids have never been outside of Canada or traveled on a plane before - they are beyond excited. Our family is a "triple threat" - three people with significant health issues. Getting three people with active medical needs from Canada to DW and back is more complicated than I ever imagined. Plus my DH is their step-dad, so there are lots of legal gymnastics that sole-custody parents have to go through to travel internationally. I'm combing your site for suggestions on everything... and I'm very grateful to have found it. My DS is the "wish" child - here's his biography from the CW website: My DD and I have a completely different genetic disease (A1AD) - unfortunately, it is degenerative and "life limiting" (we're trying to get this trip completed before I have to go on oxygen support 24/7). I was diagnosed 2 years ago, and my daughter was diagnosed as having a milder version of A1AD just a few weeks ago - she'll be undergoing tests and will probably qualify for a wish trip as well. My DH is perfectly healthy. So is our cat We don't know what the future looks for my kids (there are no cures) but we're making the most of what time we DO have. I am very grateful to have found this treasure trove of information... thank you so much! We can't WAIT to see Disney World!!
Hi Karen! We're from BC we're heading to GKTW in 3 weeks! What are your dates?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #685
jkread
Earning My Ears

Hi Karen! We're from BC what are your dates? We head there in 3 weeks!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #686
lacheeze
Earning My Ears

Hi jkread,

We are waiting on our final dates - our dates will be either mid-late April or mid May.

Are you staying at GKTW or at one of the Disney hotels?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #687
starearedkid
Mouseketeer

I just filled out the paperwork for make a wish. My daughter was recently diagnosed with leukemia. She will be 3 in May. Even though she doesn't get the concept of a "wish"--she is all about Disney. She absolutely LOVES Jessie; and has to wear her cowboy boots around the house. On the days that she isn't wearing her cowboy boots/Jessie's hat; she wears her tutus/crown and sparkly shoes and declares she is a princess. Or a princess/dinosaur. Which she will tell you that she is wearing a fancy tutu like a princess but roars like a dinosaur. She says she is Cinderella or Belle.

She has seen commercials on TV about Disney and has been wanting to visit where Mickey lives. I don't know if she will get accepted, but if she does---I know she would love a trip there. (We were actually starting to plan one when she was 4 before this happened)

She has had a tough time in the beginning. Her ANC numbers have been consistently low--which means except for doctor's appointments we have been housebound. She had a port put in--but never worked well and it got infected (another hospital visit) and had to be removed. While she was on the steroids, she seemed to get every side affect and didn't want to move or even walk/get up. Since being off the steroids, she is doing a lot better. She just deserves something fun to look forward to.
starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #688
griffwad83
Earning My Ears

Hi All

We leave for our wish trip on Friday (28th Feb) . My 5 yr old son has Leukaemia (ALL) and medically he has been given clearence to travel. Only a Temp\Fever can stop him going. He has never been on a plane before and he is really excited about that too. 9hr flight from Manchester , UK for us ,flying with Virgin Atlantic , who I'm told , are fantastic.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this board for there posts and comments for tips and advice while over at GKTW and Disney on another thread I created.

Its a trip of a lifetime for him and were hoping praying a fever stays away for the next 10 days.

Thanks all

Richard 😁👍
griffwad83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #689
paigestauffer
Earning My Ears

Hello!

I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some guidance I was wondering when everything gets confirmed. MAW asked what dates we wanted to go and we told them that we would like to stay longer. I also asked if Kimbell's specific wish would be granted and they said they wouldn't know until they submitted the dates. OK. So sent back the form where it says we want to stay longer, etc. and I haven't heard anything since... I assume we are going the dates we requested? I honestly have no idea! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!!!
paigestauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #690
rachellesparks
Earning My Ears

Tatum's Trip to GKTW Saved Her From A Deep Depression

I'm SO happy to discover this DISboard forum! I had never even heard of the Give Kids The World Village until I met a spunky little girl named Tatum, who had gone there on her Make-A-Wish trip. She went there after battling liver failure and, after her transplant, finally felt well enough to make the trip. She and her family had the most magical time of their lives at GKTW. It was a time of reconnecting as a "normal" family after so many years of worry and hospital stays During her trip to GKTW, Tatum found a lump in her armpit, and deep down, she knew what it was - post-transplant cancer. Her parents knew as well, but their stay at GKTW allowed them to escape their reality for a few more days. They returned home where doctors confirmed their fears. Tatum went into a deep depression and would not talk to anyone, including her doctors and nurses at the hospital, until one nurse asked the right question. "Done anything exciting lately?" Tatum stared at the princess tiara she had hung on her hospital room wall, then grinned and started telling the nurse every detail about her trip to GKTW Village. She then made it a requirement that every doctor, nurse, and outside visitor had to sit in a chair and listen to her stories about GKTW before any poke, prod, or procedure. Reliving her trip through the stories she told brought her out of the depression and gave her the strength she needed to beat the cancer. Now, many years later, she is still cancer-free . This is the gist of her story, but if you'd like to know more - and believe me, there's so much more to know - please read her complete story in my book, "Once Upon A Wish: True Inspirational Stories of Make-A-Wish Children." Tatum, as well as seven other children featured in the book, are some of the bravest, most inspiring people I have ever met. Thanks for this platform to share the wonderful stories of Wish children, just like Tatum's I hope you'll check out my book. The stories in it will change your lives, just the way they did mine - just Google my site by typing in Once Upon A Wish Book
Sincerely,
Rachelle Sparks
rachellesparks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: