Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Construction work on the MK Castle...

A fellow future Disney bride has been advised by Disney photography that there is going to be construction on the MK castle in April/May . Because of this construction she may not be able to get this shot:

Does anyone know what is going on at the castle? One bride was told they are draining the moat for repairs, but for what? We were speculating that this could be some sort of FP+ holding area for a parade or for fireworks but although that seems like a good idea for crowd control, it does take a way from the beauty of the castle IMHO. (Also, I plan on paying a boatload to Disney to be able to do a bridal photoshoot inside MK --as a lot of Disney brides do--and this is a "money shot").

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post
A fellow future Disney bride has been advised by Disney photography that there is going to be construction on the MK castle in April/May . Because of this construction she may not be able to get this shot: Does anyone know what is going on at the castle? One bride was told they are draining the moat for repairs, but for what? We were speculating that this could be some sort of FP+ holding area for a parade or for fireworks but although that seems like a good idea for crowd control, it does take a way from the beauty of the castle IMHO. (Also, I plan on paying a boatload to Disney to be able to do a bridal photoshoot inside MK --as a lot of Disney brides do--and this is a "money shot").
well they have a crane up next to the castle taking down the lights and doing some repainting. It's just a regular refurbishment I don't know for sure when it will end tho. Draining the moat would be the same thing refurbishment won't have anything to do with FP+.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Just left Disney on Monday. There is in fact a very large crane parked next to the castle. So big in fact that they do not remove it during the day. From my understanding it is been in place since right after New Years. This is much larger than what is used to remove Christmas lights and much taller than what would be needed for painting. My guess is that this is a significant refurbishment of some type. The moat was full this past weekend.
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Magic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
disslot
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Pretty standard for that time of year, they usually will do castle work in summer or fall. They usually set it up so at least there is one good shot.
disslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
Just left Disney on Monday. There is in fact a very large crane parked next to the castle. So big in fact that they do not remove it during the day. From my understanding it is been in place since right after New Years. This is much larger than what is used to remove Christmas lights and much taller than what would be needed for painting. My guess is that this is a significant refurbishment of some type. The moat was full this past weekend.
That crane is there to remove the lights, it's there every year around this time.

The work the op is talking about is likely regular maintenance. I know they have drained the moat for this type of work before.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disslot View Post
Pretty standard for that time of year, they usually will do castle work in summer or fall. They usually set it up so at least there is one good shot.
they never do castle work in the summer, the summer is peak time.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
That crane is there to remove the lights, it's there every year around this time. The work the op is talking about is likely regular maintenance. I know they have drained the moat for this type of work before.
So I guess I was hallucinating when I saw water in the moat last Friday?
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Magic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
So I guess I was hallucinating when I saw water in the moat last Friday?
The talk from Disney wedding photography is that the moat will be drained on the 23rd for some kind of construction.

I really hope they don't get rid of the moat. We already had our wedding 12/8/12 and our MK/Epcot portraits in Feb 2013... But I completely understand other brides wanting that shot. It was my number one!

Plus every time we now pass by that spot from the bridge it reminds me of that magical morning of our shoot.

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco PJ & Newly Started Trip Report!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride View Post
The talk from Disney wedding photography is that the moat will be drained on the 23rd for some kind of construction. I really hope they don't get rid of the moat. We already had our wedding 12/8/12 and our MK/Epcot portraits in Feb 2013... But I completely understand other brides wanting that shot. It was my number one! Plus every time we now pass by that spot from the bridge it reminds me of that magical morning of our shoot.
it's probably routine Maintenon or something like that I don't see them getting rid of it I mean what would they do with it empty.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

There is rumor that the moat will be drained permanently on the 23rd to "make room for more guests".

I don't know what this may entail.

Despite the brial portraits, I think the moat is very pretty to look at and makes the castle more magical when you are in the park.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disslot View Post
Hmmmm.....
Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

yes, I was told by our photographer that they will be removing the moat completely and putting in some kind of "viewing area." She didn't elaborate but I honestly don't know what kind of viewing area it would be. I don't think it'd be a good fireworks viewing area.

Makes me sad. The moat around the castle is so pretty!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) | Sep 2014 POR |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorgan711 View Post
yes, I was told by our photographer that they will be removing the moat completely and putting in some kind of "viewing area." She didn't elaborate but I honestly don't know what kind of viewing area it would be. I don't think it'd be a good fireworks viewing area. Makes me sad. The moat around the castle is so pretty!
Wow. This is the first I've heard of this. I hope the rumor is false, they have really been taking a lot away from WDW lately.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #14
Maineiak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Wow. This is the first I've heard of this. I hope the rumor is false, they have really been taking a lot away from WDW lately.
If it happens, sounds like a good time for a "Save the Moat!" petition...
Maineiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiak View Post
If it happens, sounds like a good time for a "Save the Moat!" petition...
There should be a save the moat movement. A quick google search and I saw these horrible photos:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...oto-update.htm

I really hope they don't drain all this water...it will take a way from the beauty of the park , especially since according to this post all of those waterways are linked.

Build on top of a building on main street and add a dang viewing area. Don't take away from the castle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: