Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Joining in! Sounds like a pretty good start.
I am glad the air worked out for you and you got in sooner!
Hi! and welcome, glad you can join in. It was a very nice start to our holiday. And getting in sooner meant more time in the pool which is always ok with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madzac View Post
Enjoying your report so far! Your DH sounds just like mine... he isnt a planner and none of the what ifs stress him in the least! Me on the other hand, ugh!!! What great customer service for your airline, I am really impressed!!!

We took our first cruise on the Dream last summer and had a blast. We are doing the Magic next year (totally got hooked) and I cant wait to hear all about your experience!!!
Thank you! glad you are enjoying so far. Gotta love the no stress hubby's. I think in the end it is a good thing - both of us stressed is never fun (you'll see/hear all about that later on! lol) Yes, we love our airline. So far we have never had issues or at least had things figured out very quickly if there has been issues (again, you'll see/hear about that later!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmemkc View Post
We are sailing on our first cruise on the Fantasy in 122 days!! I have subscribed to your post!
Awaiting your next installment.
Thank you!!
So exited -you get your very first cruise soon! The excitement leading up to the cruise is so much fun. And getting the cruise mail was always a highlight for me Should have another post up soon - probably tomorrow as it is a busy teaching day/night for me today.

Mom: Laura Dad: John DD: Bethany, 16 DS: John I, 14
PTR 70th Birthday Celebration
Do you know where the kids are? TR of our first Magic cruise

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
veggiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #17
Brisbanemum
Earning My Ears

Great trip report so far! Can't wait to read the next installment in your family adventure
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbanemum View Post
Great trip report so far! Can't wait to read the next installment in your family adventure
Hi and welcome! Glad you are enjoying my report. Stay tuned, working on my next update right now

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Cocoa Beach, continued....

Once we had dropped off our bags we headed straight for the beach. We live in Manitoba, which is the heart of the prairies so the kids have not really seen much of the ocean before. Bethany saw it as she flew over on her Europe trip with her class last year and my son John saw it last when he was a baby!
We started off by walking down the beach, of course we took off our shoes almost as soon as we hit sand!

Selfie of me and hubby

We walked along, and for son John he was very impressed with undertow and feeling the sand disappearing underneath him.
As we walked along Bethany discovered that many shells had tiny holes in them which gave her a great idea - she is my creative one and has recently gotten into making jewellery. So she decided, wouldn't it be great to collect a whole bunch of shells and make necklaces out of them for her friends and family.

Even son John got into the act, and eventually we were all searching for just the right size shells - found some really neat ones to I have to say.

We were also enjoying all the birds. DH had to take photos of these birds that would just let the water carry them away. And we had a good laugh at the ones who run away from the water.

Eventually we made it to the pier and took a quick walk along there and took a few photos.

Then a quick stop for ice cream for the kids.

After that we walked back to the hotel and grabbed a quick bite at the hotel restaurant. Nothing special but it was nice for me who was able to get a fire baked pizza with lots of veggies and no cheese. And it was nice an big so I had leftovers for later.

We decided that we should get changed into bathing suits and since it was certainly hot enough (for us!) we should go and swim in the ocean. The kids have never swam in the Atlantic ocean before so this would be a great first for them.
DH has seen the ocean and been to Vancouver many times for business but has never swam in the ocean. I grew up in BC so I have swam in the ocean many times but it was fun to watch everyone do this for the first time.

I have no pictures of this but we sure did have fun. DH was a little disconcerted at first about the undertow and the power of the waves but he got into after a while and my son and I had a blast jumping through waves - he even was jumping over them Bethany did not go out too far - she does not like water too much and though she can swim fine she prefers shallow water. She did not go out as far as us but she did stay out for awhile. She decided to sunbathe for awhile and leave it to her to meet some boys. Though she assures me they were not hitting on her! She is just so friendly and makes friends with everyone.

Once we were done swimming it was time for dinner. We didn't want to eat at the hotel again so we asked them where we should go that was within walking distance. We ended up going here

We were quite happy with this choice. We like to explore new restaurants so this was a lot of fun for us. Just a fun place, not to large but very friendly.
I was able to get a eggplant parmesan and gluten free pasta, yay!

John ordered a calzone - he loves pizza so we figured he would like this. We were shocked at the size of it though

Can you see how unsure he was about this? LOL poor guy, I think he was almost embarrassed about it. We thought it was so funny and so did our neighbours at the next table and John does not like to be teased - he does not take it very well but he was a good sport about it and managed to eat some of it. I think he ate all of about a ¼ of it before he was full though. We packed it up and took it back to our room for him to munch on later if he wanted.

Once were done dinner, we headed back to our room so that I could re organize our stuff again LOL and then we just relaxed until we were ready to sleep. It was our last night for free wifi so the kids took full advantage of being online that night.

Up next - We finally get to embark on Magic!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #20
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Just joined and love to hear how your teens liked the trip. We are going next month with a 15 and 11 1/2 year old (they both have been on DCL, but not for quite a few years. It will be interesting to see how different it is with older kids. Can't wait to hear more!
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Madzac
Mouseketeer

Our cruise was the first time to be in the ocean for my kids too. Isnt it priceless to get to watch them have that expereince? So much fun! Love the pictures!

And that calzone is something else, wow!!!

Cant wait to hear about the ship!
Previous trips: WDW:CBR 3/93, ASMo 5/99, POFQ 5/06, WL 5/09, windsor hills 10/12. DL: Offsite 2/07, 3/10. DCL Dream 4 night bahamas 6/13 (trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131854)... next up Magic 7 night Western 3/2015
Madzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
aliabi05
Earning My Ears

Thanks for sharing. Nice posts.
aliabi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #23
jlindemer
Mouseketeer

Great review! I can't wait for the next installment!

jlindemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #24
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dededisney View Post
Just joined and love to hear how your teens liked the trip. We are going next month with a 15 and 11 1/2 year old (they both have been on DCL, but not for quite a few years. It will be interesting to see how different it is with older kids. Can't wait to hear more!
We had lots of fun with our teens - they are great kids I was so happy with everything that Disney had to offer for our kids. I don't want to give to much away but needless to say - they had a lot of fun. "Best vacation ever" got tossed around a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madzac View Post
Our cruise was the first time to be in the ocean for my kids too. Isnt it priceless to get to watch them have that expereince? So much fun! Love the pictures!

And that calzone is something else, wow!!!

Cant wait to hear about the ship!
It was definitely a highlight for me, watching them in the ocean. The look of shock on their faces the first time they felt the undertow was priceless - wish I had managed to catch that on camera.
that calzone - I know! the picture does not do it justice, I'll have to see if I can find another one - it was huge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliabi05 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Nice posts.
Thanks glad you are enjoying it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindemer View Post
Great review! I can't wait for the next installment!
Thank you! Can't wait to start sharing about the ship part of things So much fun!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Day 3 - Feb 3 - Embarkation day!

I don't have my notes in front of me so lets see how much I remember....

We had booked a shuttle for 10:15 that day as I had a check in time for 11:30am.

We got up that morning, grabbed breakfast at the hotel. and then headed back to the room for a shower and for me to double check papers and bags.
Put the luggage tags on the bags and then went down to the lobby to check out and to wait for the shuttle.

We were all pretty excited though I was feeling a little anxious. I can have a hard time going into new situations (thus the need to plan and organize) I don't like not knowing what to do or where to go. Of course my wonderful DH was calm cool and collected, and reminded me that getting there is part of the vacation too

The shuttle was little late - arrived at about 10:30 am and there were a few others on board as well. We stopped at another hotel to pick up a bunch of 18 year olds who were going on a cruise for the grad trip ( a lot of excitement and energy from that group! LOL ) and then off we went....

We dropped off the grads for their ship and another family by their ship and then FINALLY we got to our drop off! It was not really busy but there were lots of people around so we were able to figure out where to go. DCL took our bags and we headed to security check in

Got through security with no issues, though DH got a little concerned after reading a bunch of the warning signs because we were bringing water and a couple bottles of wine with us but there were no problems and before we knew it were in the foyer of the port. At this point, I was very glad I had done a bunch of reading or I would have been a little confused for what to do. There were not a lot of people there it (it was just after 11am) but there were a couple long lines but I knew we had to go the check in desks which was off to the left. I was unsure if I could check in already since we had an 11:30 check in time (not sure if they look at that?) but we got in line - with only one family in front of us - and then it was our turn.

No issues with check in. Gotta love online check in. I had all the papers filled out and signed by everyone, had prepaid gratuities and put a 'hold' on the CC for purchases already so we got through the process very fast and then got our KTTW cards - LOVE getting those cards, my own little bit of
They gave us our boarding number - SCORE!

We had some time before boarding so we wandered around and took some photos.

Then wandered outside to take a few more shots and a few family selfies - We got pretty good at them by the end of the week! LOL

We headed back inside and John found a pressed penny machine. The last time were in WDW he was really into collecting these and had managed to get quite a few. I was not really expecting him to still want these but he was pretty excited to find them and really wanted to get one. Of course, trying to find american quarters and a penny was a little difficult, especially since Canada no longer uses pennies. I did manage to find a dollar bill and got some quarters, but could only find one penny buried at the bottom of my purse so he was only able to get one.

As we were waiting for numbers to be called I noticed a CM by the entrance with what looked to be navigators. Here is where I once again showed my anxious side. LOL I don't know why exactly but I could not work up the courage to go and ask for one - don't ask me why - I have no idea but every now and again I get really issues with new things/people and my guess is that there was so much 'new' going on I was overwhelmed and could not get myself over my shyness/anxiety to go ask for one. My DH kind of teased me a bit about it but my lovely daughter jumped in and just went and got one.

It was only a few minutes until they started calling numbers. The area had filled up but it was not that bad at this point so they got through the first number really quickly. Funny thing - the loudspeaker that was announcing number kept skipping numbers so it went 1, 3 ,4 ....6! Yay! our turn!

Side note - Goodness I do not like shots of my backside!!

Of course, those of you who have done this before knows what happens next.
I made sure not to tell my family what was about to happen....

We enter the ship - go through the doors and the the CM's are - just waiting to announce our family and welcome us on board. Brought tears to my eyes. Though he said nothing at the time, later my DH told me just how surprised he was at the welcome.

We stopped to take a quick shot with Mickey

and then headed up to get some food....

Continued later.....

Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #26
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report! I am a transplanted West coast girl myself!

We love the Magic, and will be back on her in 2015. Your photos are a terrific way for us to see the changes (and not!) from the drydock.

You have a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing -- can't wait to read along!
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #27
mom2cgj
Mouseketeer

I'm loving reading along! We've never done a cruise, but the kids really want to. So, I'm excited to hear how your first one went!

AoA Cars - Jan. 2015 - Pre Trip Report:There's No Such Thing As Too Much Planning!

AoA Lion King - Jan. 2013 5 Newbies Visit the World!!
mom2cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #28
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

It's the greatest feeling when you walk onto the ship and hear your name for the first time!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #29
BeautyFan
Mouseketeer

I've been reading along, thanks for providing such a fun Trip Report!

This is the first I've read of DCL finally having a PRESSED PENNY machine at port - DH and DD will be sooo excited, I think I won't tell them until we are at the port in March
Old 02-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #30
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
Loving your trip report! I am a transplanted West coast girl myself!

We love the Magic, and will be back on her in 2015. Your photos are a terrific way for us to see the changes (and not!) from the drydock.

You have a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing -- can't wait to read along!
Somedays I really wonder why I don't still live on the West Coast - especially when we are buried under snow and it freezing outside!

I took tons of photos, though I did my research, having never been on Magic before I don't know if I got all of the changes, but I sure tried to photograph every nook and cranny! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cgj View Post
I'm loving reading along! We've never done a cruise, but the kids really want to. So, I'm excited to hear how your first one went!
So glad you are enjoying things so far. It took a bit to figure out if a cruise would be the right choice for us but we decided in the end that with teenagers who wanted more freedom to explore but we didn't want them just going off on their own in a new city that this would be a great compromise and as you will see as we get farther along, it really worked well for us. .... for the most part

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
It's the greatest feeling when you walk onto the ship and hear your name for the first time!
Yup! even knowing what would happen I still got all choked up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyFan View Post
I've been reading along, thanks for providing such a fun Trip Report!

This is the first I've read of DCL finally having a PRESSED PENNY machine at port - DH and DD will be sooo excited, I think I won't tell them until we are at the port in March
Thank you! I'm having fun reliving our time away - especially since it is still cold and snowy here!

Glad I could give you a new thing to look forward to on your next cruise If I remember correctly they had one for each ship and 1 or 2 that were just DCL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: