Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
wannabimagineer
Mouseketeer

I'm really enjoying your trip report and all the pictures. Looking forward to more.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Day 4 (part 1) - "WHOA!!"

The day was finally here... our Castaway Cay day! I think, secretly, this was the day hubby and I were looking forward to the most. I had watched countless youtube videos of castaway cay and its activities, ready numerous reviews all over the web, and browsed photos from people who had been and missed it like nothing else!

We didn't have any excursions booked so the day was pretty much up to us and what we wanted to do.

Before our cruise, I had called DCL to prepay our tips and I spoke with an extremely friendly cast member who said that what she had done, in the past, was order room service the day of CC and then would eat breakfast on the balcony as we pulled into the Cay. Well, I remembered that little tidbit and did exactly the same - it couldn't have been more relaxing! *it was also nice to have a set amount of food and not graze through the buffet *

We got up when room service knocked, which I think was around 7 am.. I was exhausted (as you will see in the below photos), but super excited!

When we finished breakfast, it was already nearing the 80 degree mark. We changed into our bathing suits and cover ups and made our way to get off of the ship. We were ecstatic!
When we got off of the ship we made our way towards serenity bay, the adults only beach. I had heard it was quite a walk, but it honestly wasn't too bad. I didn't mind it and it was a nice time to kind of see the island before being on the beach for the rest of the day. As we made our way to serenity bay, i also saw a ton of runners and was sort of bummed that I didn't realize that there was a Castaway Cay 5K. Who am I kidding, though, was I really going to run instead of lounge on my very first cruise? Doubt it

I grabbed the hammock at the end of serenity bay and parked myself there for the day. hubby grabbed our chairs and planted them in the water. By 9am, which is when I think we arrived there, it was already HOT!! So hot, that within 2 hours I had to switch to a lounger underneath an umbrella because the sun was beading down on me.
While here, we also grabbed some drinks from the bar (probably the first time i had a cocktail at 10:30am) and just soaked in the sun. Eventually there was also a yoga class offered by DCL in the sand right next to us. It seemed very relaxing, but took place in a very sunny spot with no shade, so that was the sort of 'negative' aspect of it. I guess if hot yoga is your thing, then this would have been right up your alley

As hubby and I were lounging, hubby says "whoa, look!! is that...?" after starting at this person just casually walking past us, i said "oh yes! yes, it is! I want a photo!!!" But before I knew it, he was crowded by people upon people wanting to take photos and I told hubby to forget it because I didn't feel like waiting.. yes, I know.. sorta lazy lol.
Then I saw my opportunity... and here it is:

Up next: overindulging in an island feast, water fun, and... a dramatic event in the water!
ShanaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Day 4 (part 2) - "Calm down!"

Here we are, nearing the end of this TR. We are also now diving into the most dramatic part of this trip...

So, let's get right to it!

After hanging with good ol' Capt Jack, we made our way over to grab some lunch (i think it was about 12:30pm or 1pm. I was excited for BBQ today and starving! There is something about relaxing on the beach all day that makes you really want to dig into some food!

Needless to say, the buffet of chicken, burgers, fish, hot dogs, different types of salad, and dessert was one of the best parts of the cruise. It was the perfect lunch on this super hot sunny day! I dont have pictures of the food because I was too busy piling stuff onto my plate

We then decided to go check out the family area beach. we had been at serenity bay the entire first half of the day. While its very calm and relaxing, i wanted to head over to where the action was. We got on the tram and made our way over. When we arrived, we happened to be right in the middle of some sort of dance party with Mickey and Friends.

From there we went back and forth on what we wanted to do now and we ended up renting one of those oversized water trike things... I will never rent that again! Honestly, we initially got it because it was a cheaper alternative to the others that were available, but it was much more of a workout than it was a relaxing time in the water! I couldnt wait for the 30 minutes I paid for to be over lol. What was cool, however, was that they stated these were island 30 minutes... Essentially, whenever you're done you just return it and you get charged the one time for the 30 minutes.

Up next, I really wanted to go snorkeling. While I love the IDEA of snorkeling, the act itself sort of scares me. Its the fact that I cant just RUN when i see something. The idea that there may be something lurking down there in the water terrifies me, but I am always up for adventure. DH and I went snorkeling, for the first time, in Key West several years ago. While I was freaking out the first 15 minutes in the water, being that they just let us jump off the boat and explore the ocean, I then calmed down and had the BEST time! So... while in Castaway Cay, I wanted to go snorkeling again. DH wasnt keen on the idea, but did it because he knew I wanted to. Once we paid about $29 per person, we had our snorkel gear ready and headed into the water. We were maybe knee deep in the water, when I suddenly had a little panic attack again. Within a minute or so, I calmed down and kept going. DH isnt the greatest swimmer, but swims well enough to keep himself afloat. That being said, he is always a little more cautious than I am and took a little longer thatn I did to get into the water. Finally, we were both in the water, about chest deep. My words to him "let's do this" he looked at me with hesitation but nodded and off we went. It wasn't 20 seconds later that DH stopped swimming, we had maybe just gone a few feet, still being able to stand up in the water. I stopped as well and just sorta dunked my face under the water to explore the scenery. With half of my face underwater, I head DH say "OH MY GOD! NO NO NO NO NO NO!" I quickly pick my head up, look at him, look at his hand, look back at him, and just stare for a few seconds. Hubby was FREAKING OUT!!! He kept repeating the word no, diving under water, coming back up, his voice all shook up. I finally was able to get him to stop diving, while repeatedly saying his name. I looked at him and just said "it's okay!!! it was an accident!" if you haven't figured it out already, hubbys 2 month old wedding band came off in the water and had now been covered by lots of sand or, what I kept saying, eaten by a fish that saw something shiny
While we tried 'looking' for the ring, the more we moved, the more sand was being kicked up and the less likely we were to find it. After what felt like a good 30 minutes, we gave up and made our way back to shore and turned in our snorkel gear. Hubby didn't talk. He didn't smile. He looked miserable. I kept telling him that I know it was an accident and that things just happen. I told him not to feel bad about it and I wasn't mad. He later explained that he thought I would be really mad about this and, the fact that i wasnt, helped him cheer up again. A good hour or so went by until hubby was finally able to enjoy the last couple of hours we had left on the island. We joke about this now and I make fun that I he isn't my hubby because hubbys wear rings. We have yet to replace the ring, but we are both trying to pay off student loans, so, at this time, it doesnt have priority, and we are both okay with this.

After having some 2-for-1 cocktails and hubby being in a better mood again, we decided to head to the gift shop before heading back to the ship again.

Hubby and I each got a Castaway Cay Tshirt and a tervis mug to take home as souvenirs.

UP NEXT: Day 4 part 3 - The Disney Dream in 2 hours, dinner, and
PINKS!
ShanaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Great TR and congrats on your wedding! Isn't Castaway Cay the best?!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
aprilszoo2
Earning My Ears

cruise in fall

Your trip was in early October, correct? The Boyfriend has given me the greenlight to book our cruise for this fall and I am a little nervous about "hurricane season". I worked on a cruise ship 20+ yrs ago so i don't really remember what the fall is like. Would you go in October again?
40th bday Feb 2010
Won a trip June 2012
Planning 1st DIS Cruise Fall 2014
aprilszoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
nancipants
Mouseketeer

That looks like a fantastic day at Castaway Cay!

I'm so sorry your husband lost his wedding band. He must've been devastated! I'm glad it didn't end up ruining the day. Like you said, accidents happen!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #22
nycdisneygal
Mouseketeer

What a nice trip so far! Well except for your DH losing his wedding ring! Love all the pics!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #23
lthiesfeld07
Mouseketeer

Love your report!!

Too bad about DH ring... At least it can be replaced!

I'm trying to convince my soon to be DF, to take a 3 day cruise. He's worried about kids. I'm definitely going to show him your report. You and your hubby look like you've had a great time! You haven't mentioned kids being a "problem" on your honeymoon at all.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
1997- Dixie Landings * 2002- ASMo * Aug 2011- Off-site Jan 2012- CBR * April 2012- OKW *June 2012- ASMu *September 2012- Pop/Kidani *March 2013- ASMu/Kidani *July 2013 AEP- CSR/Contemporary *October 2013- ASMu/Contemporary *December 2013- POR June 2014 Engagement Trip- AKL-Jambo

lthiesfeld07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #24
randomiam79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaMouse View Post
Oh no, you definitely didn't miss it because I completely forgot to mention it. We were seated at a 4 person table and kept waiting for another couple to be seated with us, but when our head server came he advised us that it would just be the two of us! We couldn't have been more thrilled!!
Lol that may have been our fault! We were on same cruise, same dining rotation, and requested a private table saw ew ere celebrating 10 yr anniversary. Fun to read your TR and relive the cruise!
randomiam79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: