Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
reefer2005
Mouseketeer

Question Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party question

Were going to WDW March 16th and a spot for the wishes fireworks dessert party just opened up on March 17th so I grabbed it. Is this event any good. I haven't heard too much about it. Its me my DW, DD(11) and DS(5). Should I keep the reservation?

Last edited by reefer2005; 02-11-2014 at 08:53 PM.
reefer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Quin
DIS Veteran

Like everything else, it works well for some people and not for others. The plusses are that you get a chance to sit and talk with your family, try little bites of lots of different dessert items, have a fairly unobstructed view of the projection show on the Castle and then the fireworks themselves, and you don't have to stake out a spot 3 hours in advance. The Party opens to everyone with a ticket approx. 1 hour before that night's fireworks (the Dining site will 'assign' you a seating time - ignore it, it's a system glitch). Go get in line about 10 - 15 minutes before that; they check you in and seat you very rapidly when the Party opens because it's preassigned seating.

The minuses are that you really don't get much of a view of the evening parade, so if seeing that is a dealbreaker it's a bad idea. It is a good view but not the very best view of the fireworks because you are not directly in front of the Castle (although if you did manage to secure that perfect spot in front of the Castle, some 6'3 guy with a kid on his shoulders and a raised Ipad to film with would block your entire view). It is not 'cost-effective' in that you could satisfy your entire family's sweet tooth with monster ice cream cones from the Plaza for the cost of one ticket to the Party.

We have been several times in the last few years and have always felt it was worthwhile. It's great to have the time to interact as a family not being stuck in a line, sitting down, munching on goodies and drinking my weight in ice-cold milk. While they begin to consolidate the buffet down to a single line by the time the fireworks start I found that they continued to restock and that you were welcome to stay for a little bit after Wishes. Just sitting still for that extra 10 minutes and having one more cold drink (or hot coffee, if you prefer) while the gridlock on Main Street sorts itself out was priceless.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
reefer2005
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Like everything else, it works well for some people and not for others. The plusses are that you get a chance to sit and talk with your family, try little bites of lots of different dessert items, have a fairly unobstructed view of the projection show on the Castle and then the fireworks themselves, and you don't have to stake out a spot 3 hours in advance. The Party opens to everyone with a ticket approx. 1 hour before that night's fireworks (the Dining site will 'assign' you a seating time - ignore it, it's a system glitch). Go get in line about 10 - 15 minutes before that; they check you in and seat you very rapidly when the Party opens because it's preassigned seating.
When and where do you get the ticket?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
frozengurl
Mouseketeer

Yes, how do you get tickets/make a ressie???
frozengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
reefer2005
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozengurl View Post
Yes, how do you get tickets/make a ressie???
Made the reservation online, but it sounds like you also get a ticket???
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

There isn't an actual ticket, it is managed like any other ADR, and requires full payment at time of booking (like CRT).
iheartjuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Well done on getting a reservation. I have been trying for one on March 16th for weeks.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Barbydoll8
Offical Disney Dork

Wishes question

I just did this for the first time about 3 weeks ago and I thought it was well worth it. You do see the parade but like the other poster said, it isn't the best view. Wishes was wonderful but the music was a little hard to hear as they do not pipe it into the area we were.

The event holds about 100 people only and you'll get a wrist band when you sign into the ADR. Get in line fairly early before the event to check in. It took a good 20 min at least to process everyone in the night we were there.

The desserts were plentiful so much so they didn't close both lines the night I was there. There was plenty left over after the fireworks that they leave up and encourage you to take some things with you. I actually took cookies back to the hotel from the event.

I don't think I would do this all the time but I think it was worth not fighting the crowds and having a place to sit (it is assigned seating) was priceless after walking around the park all day.

Enjoy.
Barbydoll8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
2005michelle83
Mouseketeer

Ooooo I hadn't heard of this one!

I've added it to my wish list for November

Anyone know if you can use DDP for this?

Mich x
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
chinarider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005michelle83 View Post
Ooooo I hadn't heard of this one!

I've added it to my wish list for November

Anyone know if you can use DDP for this?

Mich x
It's not on the DDP, it's needs to be paid in advance at the time of booking. I believe it's around$26 per adult ( not sure if there's a kids price, been so long since mine was one)

We're trying it for the first time in May ( now that the AAA preferred fireworks viewing is gone)
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
KayKyle'sMOM
Mouseketeer

Anyone have success attending the party and the finding a good viewing spot for the second MSEP?
KayKyle'sMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Is there a second parade after the fireworks? I guess there might be if the park is open late but we always go in late winter so there isn't a second parade after the fireworks.

As to whether its worth it, you are paying around $25 per adult (Disney adult, which is what, 10 and up?), for a reserved seat off to the right side of the castle (if you are facing the castle) and all you can eat decent but not great desserts. You don't have to stake out a spot in advance (they have a table for you) and the view is good. Many people stand at the rail but you might be able to sit at your table. And Tinkerbell will "fly" from the castle right over your head. I would say that if you want to see Wishes and haven't done the party before that it is worth it one time. We've done it twice now and will probably skip this next trip.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
herb102211
DIS Veteran

We’ve been to the Wishes dessert party a handful of times and have enjoyed it. You’ll get a great spot to view wishes and the desserts are endless.

There was a photopass photographer stationed at the party as well. We’ve gotten some great photos of us and the castle. I’ve heard though that they might have gotten rid of the photopass there (the last time we attended the party was in September 2012).

If you’ve never been before, I’d say it’s worth checking out!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club 11/14- AoA
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Quin
DIS Veteran

So sorry; I used the word "ticket" rather than "ADR" because you've prepaid in full. There is no physical ticket issued. Once you've checked in they give you a simple paper wristband because if you need to use the restroom you have to leave the party area; they're up by the Tomorrowland Terrace ordering counters (the actual QS location is closed during the party, of course, because there would be no place for the non-Party customers to sit). The wristband lets you back in.

Yes, if there's a second parade you could go watch it afterwards. I think the absolute best use of the Dessert Party is to go on a night when the MK has evening EMH. The sugar high from the Party will definitely keep you on your feet until the wee hours of the morning!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
athumann
Mouseketeer

We did it last year on July 3rd and we loved it. It's so nice to relax and wait for the fireworks. When they start everyone is welcome to stand at the railing so don't worry about not having a table up front. We have an ADR on March 6th so I had decided to skip it for our July trip and didn't try to get an ADR at the 180 day mark and now I've changed my mind and there's nothing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: