Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
lmmantini
Mouseketeer

Can a 12 year old order from the child menu?

DD will be 12 when we go so she is considered a Disney "adult" but she doesn't have the appetite of an adult nor does she tend to like the items on the adult menu. Will they let her order from the children's menu even though she is 12? If not, will they allow us to share a meal so we're not wasting food? We will not be on the dining plan.
lmmantini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmantini View Post
DD will be 12 when we go so she is considered a Disney "adult" but she doesn't have the appetite of an adult nor does she tend to like the items on the adult menu. Will they let her order from the children's menu even though she is 12? If not, will they allow us to share a meal so we're not wasting food? We will not be on the dining plan.
At most a la carte table service venues, they allow adults to order from the children's menu. There were a few reports a while go (over a year) that La Hacienda was not allowing it, but I haven't heard anything recently and someone else said Marrakesh (Morocco) was not allowing adults to order from the children's menu. Regardless of how much she eats, she will be charged the adult price at buffets (e.g., Chef Mickey), family style/all-you-care-to-eat (e.g., 'Ohana), fixed priced meals (e.g., CRT), dinner shows (e.g., HDDR), and dining packages (e.g., Fantasmic dining package).

Likewise, you are also welcome to share a meal. Some places will split the dish in the kitchen, others will bring you a second plate. As with ordering from the children's menu, you cannot "share" at buffets, AYCTE/family-style, dinner shows, fixed priced meals, or dining packages.

Last edited by figment_jii; 02-13-2014 at 10:18 AM.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
jaman12
Mouseketeer

Shouldn't be a problem. My son was and "adult" on our last trip and we were on the dining plan and when he would order something from the kids menu (bc he doesn't like most "grown up" foods, they normally just have him bigger portion. So I can't see why they would give you any trouble since you are paying OOP aside from the fixed price places.
March 2014 - Just time to go again - Staying Offsite
jaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
catheren
DIS Veteran

Like PP stated, not an issue with TS
I have even ordered off the child's menu at times when I have snack too much during the day
catheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

1) When paying OOP, anyone can order from any menu.
2) Except at buffets, AYCTE, and shows, where ages dictate price.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Polish Hammer
Mouseketeer

Was at WDW just a few months ago with my 12 y/o that has a very picky and small appetite. We paid out of pocket and didn't have any problem anywhere except Le Cellier. The young hostess was a straight up witch lecturing me on the dining plan and expectations and wouldn't allow us to have a kids menu, OOP or not. The waitress was great and suggested which platters were big enough to share and that's what we did. Paying OOP and ordering off the kids menu worked out great as our child would never have found anything she'd like at any of the restaurants and/or would barely make a dent in what's on the plate. Also enabled us to use her meal credits.
Polish Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

I order off of the kids' menu at most of the QS places all of the time...and I'm 18.

THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: